The angry pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought the Spidertrax Ultimate 35 Spline 300M Floater Shafts, same shaft I broke last year driving like an idiot.

Haven't seen any pics of this beast in a bit.

Yea the other Pig has taken all my free time and money so this poor Pig has been a bit neglected over the winter, with spring time and trips planed I need to get off my lazy butt and jam this back together to make it drivable and reschedule the Pig body makeover for later in the year.

Yea the other Pig has taken all my free time and money so this poor Pig has been a bit neglected over the winter, with spring time and trips planed I need to get off my lazy butt and jam this back together to make it drivable and reschedule the Pig body makeover for later in the year.
Yes you do;)

So a buddy of mine drives a monster truck and gets invited to drive or co/drive in all types of events, this year he got invited to race in the 50th Baja 1000 with a team that was going to race an Ultra 4 car in the 1000. As it turns out they raced a Trent Fab top shelf and the car was pretty competitive all things considered, second in class and 40th overall. This got me thinking that this might not have been one of my best ideas to chop up a perfectly good race car to build a street legal FJ 55 mall crawler. Oh well you have to crack a few omelets if you want an egg, right!

I was talking to him after the race and naturally I told him to send me a picture (meaning the car) and the drunk F’er sent me this. So sorry we’ll have to wait until they sober up for some car pictures.
28825.jpg

you only got 4 years to have it ready for the 55th baja 1K...How can I help?

you only got 4 years to have it ready for the 55th baja 1K...How can I help?
:worms:I don’t see this car getting raced any time soon, first I would need to stop wrecking my other pig if I’m ever to make time to work on this one, second the support both financially and logistically for a nobody like myself to make an event like the 1000 would be next to impossible to acquire unless a rich uncle that I don’t know about decides to leave me his fortune.

Not to mention I’m having a hard time finding anyone to ride with me after the cartwheel down the ravine incident. :meh:

its ok bob , i have been told i work like that song goes ( like Mc Hammer on Crack ) (digital underground )

This car has been the neglected stepchild for the last three years and I’ve thrown just enough money at it to keep it sort of drivable but never fully committed to tearing it down and doing it correctly. @fj55-100 invited us to a fun run in St George and I was determined to make this junk reliable enough to take out of town so we set out once again to try to find the intermittent running like crap’ola issue, to date I’ve changed the fuel pumps, fuel filter, injectors, both Knock Sensors, Idle Air Control Valve, Coolant Temperature Sensor, O2, Cam Position Sensor, Air Intake Temperature Sensor, Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, Coils, plugs and plug wires, coil wire harnesses and it always runs good for a day or so then starts the intermittent popping issue. I’ve had the data logger hooked up for hours and it always runs good and we believe we’ve finally solved the issue then the next time out the problem comes back (not once could we get it to have the issue with the logger hooked up) so needless to say I missed the St George run.

The last trip out the car completely $hit the bed and started missing and popping so bad I barely made it back to the trailer and at some point in that outing the center support bearing for the front drive shaft started howling, I’ve always wanted to deal with all the mechanical stuff before I tear it down to make it into a pig but the new plan was just tear it apart and replace everything electrical and add the pig skin at the same time. I was looking at the new Holly computer and couldn’t make up my mind exactly how much money I wanted to throw at this so I figured I would start tearing it apart and get to that center bearing to see if it tore up my drive shaft, to get to the bearing you have to remove the headers and passengers floor so this seemed like as good as time as any to start removing the wiring harness.

A friend of mine convinced me not to remove the harness with a sawsall and see if we could definitively find the issue we’ve been fighting for three years and I reluctantly agreed, we had a feeling that something on the passenger’s side was causing my issues so we started unwrapping the harness on that side first and discovered a splice to lengthen the coil pack wires, everything tested good with continuity and no shorts but just for the heck of it I pulled it apart and really started to inspect it with a magnifying glass and noticed that the shrink tubing had ultra-small rub through marks on a couple wires, these wires were taped together tightly and inside a plastic split loom buried deep in and inaccessible area. Still not sure if this was a real issue my friend convinced me to repair the splice and put the car back together and test it before I cut everything out and throw it in the trash (remember I was so over all this I was going to remove the wiring with a saw and forklift and putting all this crap back together was not something I was even remotely considering)

So as it turns out that SOB was right and it was a good decision to put it back together and the car runs well. Now I’m back in the quandary of tear it apart to make it a pig or finish a few last mechanical issues first.

I know lots of words without pictures so this is some from the outing when everything went bad and I barely made it to the trailer.

Attach26839_20180115_165354.jpg

Attach26840_20180115_165401.jpg

Attach26835_20180115_165218.jpg

What you can’t see in this video is this little hill is solid ice and we would get about half way up then come sliding backwards what felt like 50MPH completely out of control. Right about were the video ends everyone is running for their life and I’m flying back down.

Last edited:
Looks like plenty of fun. Glad you guys found the problem, that's one of my worst type nightmares. So, are you still planning on bringing it to the Pig Party?

thats sic , congrads on finding your issue ,mine has resurfaced after driving it every day since the last attempt the week after pp 2017 .8 months of soild pig ownership , now back 2 square 1 . i suspect mine is in my harness as well . but the thought of removing it makes me ill . i was kinda hoping it would just crap out for good forcing a fix . . good thing i have a trail rig ready to go when you get down here ..

Thing sounds NASTY:)

Hopefully someday soon I’ll be able to take you for a ride, It’s better in person!

So, are you still planning on bringing it to the Pig Party?

It’s looking less likely as more time passes, I have another St George trip planed the end of march and some out of town work planed here shortly and doing most all of this Pig work myself after hours I’m reluctant to dismantle a running car to make it pig pretty only to have neither a perty pig or running car. Short answer is yes I still want to just don’t know if I’ll get what I want with this one.

thats sic , congrads on finding your issue ,mine has resurfaced after driving it every day since the last attempt the week after pp 2017 .8 months of soild pig ownership , now back 2 square 1 . i suspect mine is in my harness as well . but the thought of removing it makes me ill . i was kinda hoping it would just crap out for good forcing a fix . . good thing i have a trail rig ready to go when you get down here ..

Thanks man, I was thinking about your similar issues when I was fixing this POS, these indentations in the shrink tubing were barely visible with the naked eye and certainly easy to overlook, I’ve been dragging my feet not wanting to rip the harness out for at least two years hoping that it would magically fix itself. I finally got to the boiling point and was willing to throw thousands of good green backs at it when it finally showed its ugly head. We are planning to head your direction March 23ish if you’re going to be around I would like to hit a trail or two with you or at the very least take you to lunch.

Last edited:
Well I just got off the phone with Spidertrax and I'm doubting this pig will make the party this year. I destroyed one of my front axles yesterday and I got a new set of 300m axles ordered but 50 days until I see them then I'll still need to find time to rebuild and add the new locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom