The 60 series Rubithon thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's on people! We have 3 60 wags from p-town (including myself) that are committed to making the run this year. I know that I have posted in other threads in the past about hooking up with other 60's for this run but wanted to make it official.

What I am looking for is opinions, networking, and experience from the 60 wagon owners who run this trail and would like to run it this year.

I know my budget is tight and I assume most others are as well. So I would like to get a network on 60's owners and parts we can bring to aid the fellow wagons and hopefully aid us in making the trek home to Oregon or anywhere else you may be from or going.

So please post up (even if you are not attending this year) if you have words of wisdom, tech tidbits, etc for us Noobies from the NW who are heading your way.

Does anyone have an onboard welder they plan on bringing?

How do you weld up springs in the field? :wrench:

:cheers:
clint

Welder will be covered. I've got a ready welder that I will be bringing so we're set there.

If we get Brokenparts rig back together there will be four 60s going.

I'm very interested in going. I've never made the event before. Depending on what runs you'd like to do, I think I can be there. What all do I need to register? Seems like it can get expensive if you want to do more than a couple runs? :cheers:

My baby is due June 22 so that may count me out. Unless theres a doctor in the house?

Question: Are you guys Cascade Cruiser members? I meant to check that out last Thursday. Es bueno?

Question: Are you guys Cascade Cruiser members? I meant to check that out last Thursday. Es bueno?

I'm a member of CC and you are more than welcome to come out to a meeting to check us out.

The actual event dates are June 17-21. My last work day will be saturday the 13th so anytime after that and before the 17th I'm available for travel.

Nice work on the welder mike! I totally forgot you had one of those.

Looks like travel for me will be down on the 15th or 16th and on the trail 17th.

Someone had posted about a run from the Tahoe side?? not sure if i want to take the easy route. How many days total on the trail do we need?

Cruisified new members are needed and always welcome. I am not a doctor but I will stay at a holiday in express before hand if that helps?

jeebus Matt always looking on the bright side huh? Just because we spend hours on mud everyday doesn't mean everyone else does (they should)

Dylan looking forward to meeting you. How far are you from the trails? I am looking for some place close to meet everyone a day or two ahead of time. Maybe a place to crash centrally located?

Does anyone have a spare ignitor/ coil?

who wants to help with a SOA the last week in March? Portland OR peeps? I feed well and have a new garage beverage fridge that will be stocked.

clint

I'll be there next mtg, with my Dad OME'd 60 and my buddy stock 40.

Dirt- Is that the confluence of the McKenzie in your avatar?

You guys should sign up for the wagon run on Wednesday. It's led by yours truely and I can promise a good time. Just make sure your PM is done, and we'll keep the breakage to a minimum.

Please do not forget the pre-run inspection.ie make sure your truck is running well, and all the systems, including the emergency brake, work. the most important PM---Torque your knuckle stud nuts at the start of each day--71 ft/lbs.

I doubt spare parts will be a big problem and I do carry a spare coil and ignitor, birfs, rear axles etc. A useful spare would be a couple of leaf spring main leafs in case one breaks.

Axles and birfs are recommended, good spare tire, etc. Bring all the belts and major hoses your truck uses.

I don't think anyone had a major break on the wagon run last year. Just a couple of flat tires.

Last edited:
You guys should sign up for the wagon run on Wednesday. It's led by yours truely and I can promise a good time. Just make sure your PM is done, and we'll keep the breakage to a minimum.

Please do not for get the pre-run inspection.ie make sure your truck is running well and all the systems, including the emergency brake work. the most important PM---Torque your knuckle stud nuts at the start of each day--71 ft/lbs.

I doubt spare parts will be a big problem and I do carry a spare coil and ignitor, birfs, rear axles etc. A useful spare would be a couple of leaf spring main leafs in case one breaks.

Axles and birfs are recommended, good spare tire, etc. Bring all the belts and major hoses your truck uses.

I don't think anyone had a major break on the wagon run last year. Just a couple of flat tires.

Great advice. If you could answer some questions for us newbies to the 60. How difficult is it to get a wagon through the Rubicon? Do we have to run through Big and Little Sluice? Or are there alternate routes for sections. Should we expect body damage? Thanks.
D

You guys should sign up for the wagon run on Wednesday. It's led by yours truely and I can promise a good time...

...including the emergency brake work.

Do you know when registration will be?

Good to know, that's one more thing I'll add to my list to get ready for the trip.

Great advice. If you could answer some questions for us newbies to the 60. How difficult is it to get a wagon through the Rubicon? Do we have to run through Big and Little Sluice? Or are there alternate routes for sections. Should we expect body damage? Thanks.
D

Most trucks get through pretty clean, but if a new dent will ruin your trip, then stay home.

Big Sluice is the only way from Buck Island Lake to Rubicon Springs. Little Sluice is impassable in most trucks, but it has a bypass. Then you can either take the upper part of the sluice or the slab to the right.

Low gearing and lockers will make your trip much more enjoyable. I would have said it's not possible in a spring under 60, but then Chappy proved me wrong last year, and Bob in the blue HZ-60 the year before, though Bob had significant body damage.

How bout a link to a web site describing the routes? I'd like to come tool around but not wanting to bang up my rig on the crawler type sections. I'd come to see the country and hang out, just would take all the pussy routes around the really rough stuff.

Also, just for kicks, lets say I was going to do the rough stuff. What is the minimum set up advised? Minimum tire size, how much armor etc?

Probably if there is a web link it will answer question #2.

HD

Right on Cruiserdrew! I was hoping you would post. Some sound advice for sure. Can't wait to meet you as well.

Registration will not be open till after the 1st of March.

From what I have been told BARE minumim is 33's and one locker.

Talking with Tony Twiddy and Jeff Bomke they both said to have a GOOD time 35's, lockers X2, and armor.

OK so Wagon run on wed?

Any chance of a true wagon only run or 60's only run?

Place to stay the day before?

Clint

How bout a link to a web site describing the routes? I'd like to come tool around but not wanting to bang up my rig on the crawler type sections. I'd come to see the country and hang out, just would take all the pussy routes around the really rough stuff.

Also, just for kicks, lets say I was going to do the rough stuff. What is the minimum set up advised? Minimum tire size, how much armor etc?

Probably if there is a web link it will answer question #2.

HD

Rubicon is a point to point trail, so once you start the goal is to come out the other side in Lake Tahoe. There isn't a way to come down and just check it out. What you would see is everyone disappearing into the trees at Loon Lake.

If you just want to see it, drive to Loon, give your stuff to someone and hike the trail. It's acutally easier and faster than driving it. It's also a bunch of fun, and my son has done it this way several times. At age 14 he guided a group of 6 trucks from the Slabs to the camp on the other side of Loon Lake. He knew the trail better than I thought!

Little sluice has a bypass, otherwise you are committed to running the trail and everything it offers. With the wagon run I generally take the best line through all the obstacles. The guys that want to take the hero line everywhere should join another run (and bring a really good first aid kit and lots of parts). Here's how it breaks down:

Day1-Meet at Loon Lake for 8am departure. Tech inspections then launch. There is a narrow trail though the remains of the Gatekeeper, then the granite bowl, then more boulder fields, then trail through the woods, then Walker Hill, then Little Sluice for Lunch. Walker Hill is the first real test of the day. After Lunch it's more boulders, the Million dollar drop, then a hard but fun (actually my favorite section) to the top of the slabs. The slabs are tippy and scary but the alternative (Old Sluice) is much harder but also more fun. After the 30 minutes of fear on the slabs, another boulder field and you're into Buck Island for the evening. It's a full and challenging day. If you are not tired at the end of the day, you have too much truck.

Day2-Technical boulder trail around Buck Island Lake, then up and over the divide, dropping into Big Sluice. After Big Sluice is a long and challenging down hill boulder garden to the bridge over the Rubicon River. After that is some short technical terrain or a huge mud hole and then you're in the Springs for the event.

TheLastDay--The exit up Cadillac has gotten very hard. Most body damage happens on the lower part of Cadillac. You'll be in trail mode by now and so no big deal.

The whole trail is huge fun and a major accomplishment if you've never done it. Let me know if more questions.

Thanks for the outline. I've never been so it's helpful to know how it flows. Sorry for the ignorance but what is/happens at the "event" at the end of day 2?

Do many rigs need to have an extra can of fuel for the run?

Thanks for the outline. I've never been so it's helpful to know how it flows. Sorry for the ignorance but what is/happens at the "event" at the end of day 2?

Do many rigs need to have an extra can of fuel for the run?

Rubithon has a dinner on Friday night followed by the "Marauder Bar". The way the bar works, is people bring a bottle to contribute, TLCA buys mixers and they serve it out free. Not everyone contributes but enough do, so that there is plenty of booze if that's your thing. The highlight of that evening is PismoJim in his serape and bandelero passing out shots of Tequila to all who wish to partake. It's good fun, but I have seen a bunch of guys over the years get extremely intoxicated, and have monster hangovers the next day. Don't be one of those guys!:rolleyes:

In past years the Bar has been Friday and the Dinner Saturday, but Tony wanted to change it up this year and just have everything on Friday.

During the day on Friday, there will be a Wagon Run hike to the secret swimming hole, which is just outstanding and not to be missed. You can also fish in the Rubicon river (a few trout are caught every year) and there is a nice swimming hole in camp where the SS Rubicon will make another appearence this year.

Just hanging in the Springs Friday and Saturday is a blast. You get to meet hundreds of Cruiserheads and relax and hang out.

If you fill with gas at Ice House, you should have enough to get all the way through. If you're worried, bring an extra 5 gallons. You have to bring all your drinking water.

Thanks again Cruiserdrew. A few more questions come to mind.

What are the usual temperatures (day/night)? Does the Ice house have diesel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom