1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH350, Personal Experience Pros and Cons?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Diablo623, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Diablo623

Diablo623

I know all of the technical info and pros/cons, but wanted any personal experience with using a TH350 in a FJ40 with a V8 and 10 spline Transfer case. If anyone has this setup or know someone who has it, let me know your opinion. Thanks

2. bodacious

bodacious

had one.. not enough gears.. go with a 700r4 with a 203 doubler if you pland to use the cruiser for a dd and a rock machine

3. dinkleberry

dinkleberry

The 700r4 is more expensive and weaker (pump) than a th350. However it has no overdrive.

You can get a lowered first gear for it. TCI makes it.

4. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Like the others have mentioned 1st gear for a TH350 (and TH400) is very high. Ok for road travel but no good for trails. The 1:1 final drive and slipping torque converter will leave you turning the engine a little higher on the highway. The planetary gear in my TH350 came out twice so I switched to a 400 (last cruiser several years ago). I twisted the output shaft on that one but it never failed.

5. dinkleberry

dinkleberry

The lowered first is only like 2.75:1. Not very steep.

Rice, you must be puttin out some major power to twist that output. :eek:

6. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    It was *sigh* many years ago. I remember how proud I felt when my dad looked at the shaft and said "Son, you ain't gotta feed all those horses at once." He's passed away now but I still try to make him proud. :beer:

7. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Rice link=board=1;threadid=8335;start=msg70922#msg70922 date=1070504306]
    It was *sigh* many years ago. I remember how proud I felt when my dad looked at the shaft and said "Son, you ain't gotta feed all those horses at once." He's passed away now but I still try to make him proud. :beer:
    [/quote]

Very good! Should go in that famous quotes section! :D :D

8. greyghost

greyghost Guest

:-\

I'm in the middle of a tranny swap , I had a chevy 350 with stock tranny and transfer case and just got a turbo 350. I already got the output shaft and adaptor kit from advance adaptors to adapt a th350 to the stock transfer case. So, basically i'm already in to it $1000 and need to make this work.

do i need to move my motor mounts foreward so i don't end up wit an 8" read drive shaft?

and how do i mount the transfer case shifter to the th350?

9. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I put a 700R4 in mine. I like it, however, I miss having a manual. Unless you're hell-bent on an automatic, I'd check into a manual replacement/upgrade.

greyghost: I had to move my engine forward substantially. Do it right the first time, or you'll end up like me, f*cking with it for a month because your pinion angle is off and it'll shake you like a polaroid picture.

Good Luck.

10. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Also another reason to put an aftermarket manual in it. Your shaft clearance and pinion angles will be much more easier to deal with.

11. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I am currently in the process of installing a Ram Jet 350/TH350 and a Land Cruiser four-speed trasfer case. I have not finalized the drivetrain location, but as it sits now I have about an 18" rear driveshaft, and it will have about a 13-15 degree operating angle. It looks like it will be alright, but I am also planning on moving the rear axle back an inch or two, so overall it might be closer to twenty or so overall.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

-Steve

12. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    That too...I HAD to move my rear axle back. Between 3-4 inches, actually just centered it, however, I did switch to GM full width axles.

Either way, it's a hell of a chore; but worth it in the long run. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense though unless you've got problems with your stock running gear that are going to run you bucks.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">