Your experience with hardtop rain gutter strength (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read some old threads with bits and pieces of information, but I thought it would be interesting to gather feedback and have it all in one place. Maybe we can establish a baseline of what the gutters will safely support with a roof rack or cross bars?

Information that would be relevant:
  1. How many gutter mounts are you running? 4? 6? 8?
  2. What kind of loads/weight is being carried up there, and how often?
  3. How long have you been running this setup?
  4. Have you noticed any damage?

Well, a long story short. I drove my ‘69 40 from Kodiak Ak to North Carolina with 16 19’ TiPi poles on two cross bars attached to the top. They hung off the back about 6” and headed towards the front. Maybe not a huge amount of weight, but remember, in 1976 the Alcan was 1,100 miles of dirt, mud and potholes. My friend lost his trailer and didn’t know it for 15 miles later.
Just a short story of a long trip.

I ran 2 cross bars with like 4" in the gutter at each point. 6 pair of cross country on the rack with 2 or 3 duffle bags of gear lashed on - couple hundred pounds - never an issue.

If I was to build a cargo rack, I would make a full length channel to fit in the gutter.

Not a rock crawler guy, so a trailer suits me better than tip over inducing high weight.

I have a teepee pole rack for my 72 FJ40 and my 83F150

1. How many gutter mounts are you running? 4? 6? 8?
  2. What kind of loads/weight is being carried up there, and how often?
  3. How long have you been running this setup?
  4. Have you noticed any damage?
1, I run either 4 or 6, depending on what I have up top, if I put my rack up there I put all 3 crossbars on, sometimes I leave a 3 on all year.

2, roof rack, camp chairs, 15 gallons of fuel, tops.

3, a few years.

4, the gutter clamps have gouged out the sealer in the gutter, I hooked them in the trees wheeling last month and bent the snot out of the gutter. Hammer and 2x4 to the rescue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom