TH350, Personal Experience Pros and Cons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know all of the technical info and pros/cons, but wanted any personal experience with using a TH350 in a FJ40 with a V8 and 10 spline Transfer case. If anyone has this setup or know someone who has it, let me know your opinion. Thanks

had one.. not enough gears.. go with a 700r4 with a 203 doubler if you pland to use the cruiser for a dd and a rock machine

The 700r4 is more expensive and weaker (pump) than a th350. However it has no overdrive.

You can get a lowered first gear for it. TCI makes it.

Like the others have mentioned 1st gear for a TH350 (and TH400) is very high. Ok for road travel but no good for trails. The 1:1 final drive and slipping torque converter will leave you turning the engine a little higher on the highway. The planetary gear in my TH350 came out twice so I switched to a 400 (last cruiser several years ago). I twisted the output shaft on that one but it never failed.

The lowered first is only like 2.75:1. Not very steep.

Rice, you must be puttin out some major power to twist that output. :eek:

It was *sigh* many years ago. I remember how proud I felt when my dad looked at the shaft and said "Son, you ain't gotta feed all those horses at once." He's passed away now but I still try to make him proud. :beer:

[quote author=Rice link=board=1;threadid=8335;start=msg70922#msg70922 date=1070504306]
It was *sigh* many years ago. I remember how proud I felt when my dad looked at the shaft and said "Son, you ain't gotta feed all those horses at once." He's passed away now but I still try to make him proud. :beer:
[/quote]

Very good! Should go in that famous quotes section! :D :D

:-\

I'm in the middle of a tranny swap , I had a chevy 350 with stock tranny and transfer case and just got a turbo 350. I already got the output shaft and adaptor kit from advance adaptors to adapt a th350 to the stock transfer case. So, basically i'm already in to it $1000 and need to make this work.

do i need to move my motor mounts foreward so i don't end up wit an 8" read drive shaft?

and how do i mount the transfer case shifter to the th350?

I put a 700R4 in mine. I like it, however, I miss having a manual. Unless you're hell-bent on an automatic, I'd check into a manual replacement/upgrade.

greyghost: I had to move my engine forward substantially. Do it right the first time, or you'll end up like me, f*cking with it for a month because your pinion angle is off and it'll shake you like a polaroid picture.

Good Luck.

I am currently in the process of installing a Ram Jet 350/TH350 and a Land Cruiser four-speed trasfer case. I have not finalized the drivetrain location, but as it sits now I have about an 18" rear driveshaft, and it will have about a 13-15 degree operating angle. It looks like it will be alright, but I am also planning on moving the rear axle back an inch or two, so overall it might be closer to twenty or so overall.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

-Steve

That too...I HAD to move my rear axle back. Between 3-4 inches, actually just centered it, however, I did switch to GM full width axles.

Either way, it's a hell of a chore; but worth it in the long run. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense though unless you've got problems with your stock running gear that are going to run you bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom