terminal repair, crimp pins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't find toyota crimp terminals. They don't sell open ones with a toyota part # it appears. Seems weird to me, only a repair wire is offered at $15 each. Like 82998-12690, for connector part # 90980-12094

I thought I would be able to buy new pins and crimp new wire. Nope.

Does anyone know about this, or is there something I'm missing?

Mouser or Digikey was going to be my suggestion. It might take some time to find them but I'd be surprised if they didn't have them. Lord knows they've got a lot of my money over the years.

this is what I'm looking for. Honestly I don't really understand the terms to search on those two sites.
terminal 82998-12690.jpg

I built from scratch a new harness (Supra not Land Cruiser) so I've got more experience here than I wish I did.

Toyota, to my knowledge, hasn't ever had techs repairing harnesses doing their own crimps. Instead, Toyota would supply the "pigtail". The pigtail, being a short section of the correct wire already crimped with or without its proper seal to the correct terminal. This is an inferior way to repair, in my opinion, but makes life easier on the techs.

You're right to want to crimp it yourself, but be sure you have the appropriate crimper. It must be for open barrel terminals of that size. Ideally it'd be a Tyco Crimper with the correct dies. Those run around $400-500 for a crimper and the die.

You want open barrel, non-insulated terminals. Specifically, from the manual pics above, 1.0III (AKA 040III). If it's in the engine bay or an exterior connector, you want sealed. For interior, unsealed. If sealed, you need the little plugs or "seals" for each wire. For my 90 model year Supra, most the terminals were 040 for the ECU and 090 for the engine bay.

Yazaki is the typical manufacturer of those pins in the repair world. They're available allllll over. Mouser, Digikey, various aftermarket resellers.

I've got some in my garage, I'm pretty sure. I bought hundreds when I did my harness, so I ended up with a boatload of leftovers. If you have trouble sourcing what you need, let me know. I'd be happy to sell off some of my excess.

I'd also pick up a terminal extractor like this: http://amzn.to/2CPC3a2

The extractor will help avoid ruining the connectors as you release the terminals from the plastic connector.

This is the crimper I used with marginal success: http://amzn.to/2FaXEIp

If I do it again I would very strongly consider spending the admittedly ridiculous price for the real Tyco crimper. I used one at work. The difference in ease of use and quality of crimp is astounding. Hard to swallow for a rare use tool, though.

*Edit, I also used some parts and tools from this guy's site. I think his name is Jim. Dude lives in Japan, apparently, and runs a business based on motorcycle repair. Much of it directly translates to Asian vehicles. Good stuff. The place for all your motorcycle electric needs.

Last edited:
thank you, I pretty much assume all of what you said. Good to find out the Yazaki thing. I've seen the red "repair" wires, as built for each connector at 15$. After I couldn't find terminals. I then thought I'd steel from other compatible harnesses connectors, like

radio R plugs, S stereo amp plugs, N nav plugs, T backup cam ecu plugs, M MFD plugs. Out of 18 plugs I could take from, 5 have the same female socket. part # 82998-12690
Of course which is better, a string of 16 red wires or all random multiple colors. I wish I didn't even try to figure it out.

Thanks for replying. It's an AC control 40 pin and I don t see any connectors I can rape from either.

found other toyota people that say this crimp is good for 82998-1260 I'm going to find out.
TE Connectivity terminals 316837-1 (gold tipped, for medium size 1.0III terminals)

edit, so the same crimp is 316837 -1 without the gold, lol, like we need that, my bad.

Terminal Size 0.64III
Toyota Pigtail Part No. 82998-12870
TE Connectivity Terminals 1674311-2

Terminal Size 1.0III
Toyota Pigtail Part No. 82998-12690
TE Connectivity terminal 316837-1

Toyota Pigtail Part No. 82998-12870 (for small 0.64III terminals)
Toyota Pigtail Part No. 82998-12690 (for medium size 1.0III terminals)
TE Connectivity terminals 1674311-2 (for small 0.64III terminals)
TE Connectivity terminals 316837-1 ( for medium size 1.0III terminals)

Terminal Size 0.64III
Toyota Pigtail Part No. 82998-12870 (gold tipped)
TE Connectivity terminal 1674311-1 (gold tipped)

Last edited:
I built from scratch a new harness (Supra not Land Cruiser) so I've got more experience here than I wish I did.

Toyota, to my knowledge, hasn't ever had techs repairing harnesses doing their own crimps. Instead, Toyota would supply the "pigtail". The pigtail, being a short section of the correct wire already crimped with or without its proper seal to the correct terminal. This is an inferior way to repair, in my opinion, but makes life easier on the techs.

You're right to want to crimp it yourself, but be sure you have the appropriate crimper. It must be for open barrel terminals of that size. Ideally it'd be a Tyco Crimper with the correct dies. Those run around $400-500 for a crimper and the die.

You want open barrel, non-insulated terminals. Specifically, from the manual pics above, 1.0III (AKA 040III). If it's in the engine bay or an exterior connector, you want sealed. For interior, unsealed. If sealed, you need the little plugs or "seals" for each wire. For my 90 model year Supra, most the terminals were 040 for the ECU and 090 for the engine bay.

Yazaki is the typical manufacturer of those pins in the repair world. They're available allllll over. Mouser, Digikey, various aftermarket resellers.

I've got some in my garage, I'm pretty sure. I bought hundreds when I did my harness, so I ended up with a boatload of leftovers. If you have trouble sourcing what you need, let me know. I'd be happy to sell off some of my excess.

I'd also pick up a terminal extractor like this: http://amzn.to/2CPC3a2

The extractor will help avoid ruining the connectors as you release the terminals from the plastic connector.

This is the crimper I used with marginal success: http://amzn.to/2FaXEIp

If I do it again I would very strongly consider spending the admittedly ridiculous price for the real Tyco crimper. I used one at work. The difference in ease of use and quality of crimp is astounding. Hard to swallow for a rare use tool, though.

*Edit, I also used some parts and tools from this guy's site. I think his name is Jim. Dude lives in Japan, apparently, and runs a business based on motorcycle repair. Much of it directly translates to Asian vehicles. Good stuff. The place for all your motorcycle electric needs.

Great information. So for the tyco crimper, what kind of die is good for this application? I tried to look but overwhelmed with the variety of dies available for so many application.

Will this crimper work? If not, can I use the appropriate die for it? Thanks.

58448-2 TE Connectivity AMP Connectors | Tools | DigiKey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom