Temp gauge bad or is something else very wrong (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving down the highway the other day in the 40 i noticed my temp guage was reading very high and it concerned me. It was reading at the small bar located about 3/4 the way up on the temp guage. i am assuming once it crosses this line you should stop and do something but it stayed right on the bar the whole time until i got off the highway. Could this just be an old guage or a bad water pump, the radiator is only about 2yrs old and is good on fluid so i know that is not the problem.

What happens when in town and or idling parked? It just started sudendly? if you run the heater of full blast does it drop?

Is it really overheating? can you grab(when needle is high) the upper hose and hold it without being uncomfortable? if so its prolly not overheating. If you can just hold it for a second or two....then its running hot

bad t-stat(my gut feeling)
low coolent
radiator blocked
fan clutch not working correctly(doubtfull on the highway)
water pump(but if not leaking or making noise, its prolly OK
exhaust blocked
running lean
timing off

John

The sending unit for the heat gauge may be faulty if Landpimps suggestions don't solve it.

:doh: I ment to add that right after.........."if so its prolly not ever heating.......then check the sensor or guage ::) :-[ ;)

[quote author=LCruzombre link=board=1;threadid=11914;start=msg108720#msg108720 date=1077502641]
The sending unit for the heat gauge may be faulty if Landpimps suggestions don't solve it.
[/quote]

no it doesnt do it at idle or town driving. in town it runs about half way. havent tried grabbing the upper hose. having the heater on doesnt change anything and the radiator was recently flushed and new fluid put in but it did this before the flush. it doesnt leak anything fluid and there are no weird noises from the pump. How do i check a t-stat to see if it is working properly. and are there anymore signs that it could be the weber is running lean?

Tstats are cheap. Once your checking it, you might as well replace it. Even if that wasn't it, you have done some preventative maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom