Tell me why i cannot use ProComp Springs on my 81? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is the fronts I'm waiting on. As much as I'd like to have them here now, the fact is I still need to order the bolts, shocks etc. Will probably be a while before I get them put on.

Seems like I could use a factory rubber bushings right? I know everyone prefers poly, but I have horrible memories of horribly jaring poly motor mounts back in my Honda days.

This is only a street trail rig after all.

Poly pushings are very easy to install and they are not harder than the OEM rubber ones.

Poly pushings are very easy to install and they are not harder than the OEM rubber ones.
Well I have no experience with bushings, but the same type poly on used for engine mount replacements will make you feel every spark plug fire lol

I really only ask about using the factory bushings is because these springs seem to be the same size as the post 80 oem but they just ship with pre 80 bushings. Seems weird the the spring makers would shy away from offering them as post 80 as well.

Just an update here. I now have all 4 springs, all 4 Bilsteins, all new OEM fixed pins and bushings and new CCOT HFS Shackles on the way. Upon initial inspection the Post 80 OEM bushings I just got fit the ProComp spring eyes just perfectly. Now to find a deal on UBolts.

On a side note if you are patient and have the time shopping the Bilsteins on Amazon can really pay off. I have a total of $151.82 in all 4 shocks. They can be found under the Warehouse Deals search option. They are listed as “Used Like New” but each of mine has only been a damaged box contains brand new never used shocks inside. My average price for 3 was about $30 each. I paid $60 for 1 on eBay. Hope that help someone on a budget.

Just an update here. I now have all 4 springs, all 4 Bilsteins, all new OEM fixed pins and bushings and new CCOT HFS Shackles on the way. Upon initial inspection the Post 80 OEM bushings I just got fit the ProComp spring eyes just perfectly. Now to find a deal on UBolts.

On a side note if you are patient and have the time shopping the Bilsteins on Amazon can really pay off. I have a total of $151.82 in all 4 shocks. They can be found under the Warehouse Deals search option. They are listed as “Used Like New” but each of mine has only been a damaged box contains brand new never used shocks inside. My average price for 3 was about $30 each. I paid $60 for 1 on eBay. Hope that help someone on a budget.

Good tip on the amazon deal!

Anyone score bushings for the procomp leafs yet? I called procomp directly as well as 4wp and they said they’re in the mail....

I haven't bothered as I'm post 80 and can't use them anyway🤨

Post 80 meaning after 1980 manufacturing date? I’m 1982 and am trying to cross reference these damn bushings..

Yes after 08/80. Are you trying to use the procomp springs?

Yeah. Had them for over a year and just now get turn around to the install. Might have to go another route though.

Old Man Emu sells poly bushings that will fit your springs and your factory shackles. Or you could use factory rubber bushings which is what I'm doing.

That's awesome news. Going to go the factory route like you did. How much lift? Got pics?

Thanks for sharing the info!

Not on yet. On a budget so taking a while to accumulate everything at a discount. Only need Ubolts now.

I'm sorry to say that I've not yet installed them. Aside from being a procrastinator, I'm nervous from the horror stories I hear about issues with frozen bolts etc. I also enjoy it every weekend and the thought of having it torn apart and down again doesn't help.

I think I have everything I need with the exception of axle shims. That part has me a bit nervous too as mine tracks down the road perfectly with no wobble.

On a stock axle, the pinion flange should be perpendicular to the ground. If it’s angled down you’re good… up you’ll need a shim to bring it to at least perpendicular.

@bikersmurf Thanks. My fear also stems from the 40 taking a hit on the right front and the shackle is slightly angled. Not sure how much tension it may be under and how that might make instalation a nightmare. Again no lack of tech, just being a baby about it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom