Tell me why i cannot use ProComp Springs on my 81? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I've read and read. I know the eyes and pin dimensions are different from early and late models and that some spring manufacturers just make the larger eyes and expect you to use a conversion bushing.

But can someone just please tell me exactly what I need to to correctly mount ProComp Springs on this USDM 81 40?

Ok let the bashing begin!

Crap bro I forgot to get back to you!!!

I measured my springs with some calipers but I don’t really know how to read it. Lol.
Here’s a pic. I’ll get out there with a tape measure right now since I at least know how to read that 🥴

6341A0B9-D493-4FAC-8103-C818641424A8.jpeg

1 3/8 inch according to my tape measure...

Last edited:
Deep on the SOR website used to be a chart with tons of bushing dimensions and sizes - or, can you contact ProComp?

This is probably the more important dimension. What is the diameter of your shackle pins?
The bushings that came with my pro comp springs are 9/16 of an inch

BF1F63AB-50A6-4528-9298-9E8BBDDEF30D.jpeg

Thanks for your replies and measurements. Last night I decided to stimulate the economy and I ordered just the springs. May blow up in my face.

I had contacted pro comp but didn't bother asking. Figured I'd get the same answer as the catalog. I trust this community much more.

I did see the SOR pin and bushing pages. Then my head exploded. I'll have to review them again with pen and paper in hand. Lots of info.

I'm in no hurry, I'll just peice it together.

Hey, while we’re all learning good stuff here, could you check and see how many leaves (leafs?!) are in your spring pack front and rear?
For some reason one of mine has an extra....???

maybe shoot a few pics of your setup? My rig is an 82...

thanks and happy wheeling.

Pretty simple answer, pro comp stiff ride, questionable quality, Ome springs made and designed for all landcruiser! No wondering if they fit, they have the correct size bushings and pins, shackles, shocks..

Pretty simple answer, pro comp stiff ride, questionable quality, Ome springs made and designed for all landcruiser! No wondering if they fit, they have the correct size bushings and pins, shackles, shocks..

Looks like the OME marketing Dept got ya!

Pro Comp springs are made by NHK who makes them for Toyota. Downey even used them back in the day because they were the best.

Now back to sorting out this questionable setup...hahaha.

I've read many posts and would agree that OME is by far the more popular, trusted, made to fit, cheaper in the long run, but I'm going to give these a whirl and see how it comes out. I'll be ordering Bilstiens to pair with them and possibly a small shackle in the rear. However I end up, at least the post 80 crowd will know for sure about how to make it work because I couldn't find it.

What does it say when you go to the Pro Comp web site and they don't even list springs for the FJ-40?

I noticed that too. I'm thinking they may be discontinued so hence why I jumped on the purchase. However if you selected a year post 80 you won't get any results

The following thread is what I'm really banking on and does the best at explaining it.

I've read many posts and would agree that OME is by far the more popular, trusted, made to fit, cheaper in the long run, but I'm going to give these a whirl and see how it comes out. I'll be ordering Bilstiens to pair with them and possibly a small shackle in the rear. However I end up, at least the post 80 crowd will know for sure about how to make it work because I couldn't find it.
[/QUOTE
I noticed that too. I'm thinking they may be discontinued so hence why I jumped on the purchase. However if you selected a year post 80 you won't get any results

Post up what springs you are going with before you buy them. I emailed them and they recommended a front spring that is not listed as a FJ40 spring...

I bought the 31252 and 31253. Curious to hear what they said.

My initial plan is to go with these...
Screenshot_20200422-184909_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200422-184412_Chrome.jpg

I also came across this chart posted on a jeep site. Old catalog but I'm guessing the specs are still accurate for given part number
Screenshot_20200422-185329_Chrome.jpg

Well I received 2 of the 4 today. Only missing 2 bushings. Not sure why a few peices of tape is so difficult. Anyway, isn't this a military wrap? I thought that Pro Comp didn't have that?
20200423_180147.jpg
1587680114981741768455271231335.jpg

I was missing 2 bushings on every spring I received. Definitely a design flaw in shipping. Let me guess you are still waiting for the front Springs? I’m still waiting on 1 that is out of stock till July. We were not the only ones doing suspension work during this quarantine 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom