Techstream resulted in VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and blinking VGRS (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The firmware listed with that cable seems to be the correct one for MY 2005+ vehicles. There’s a few traps here; MY 2005+ use the CAN bus lines (these aren’t active in earlier MYs) but it’s my understanding that all MYs need to have pin 7 (called SIL for Software In Loop) to talk with the peripheral ECUs like AHC, VGRS etc. Good luck with it all, if you have no joy I’ll send you my gauge to check your pressures :)

The firmware listed with that cable seems to be the correct one for MY 2005+ vehicles. There’s a few traps here; MY 2005+ use the CAN bus lines (these aren’t active in earlier MYs) but it’s my understanding that all MYs need to have pin 7 (called SIL for Software In Loop) to talk with the peripheral ECUs like AHC, VGRS etc. Good luck with it all, if you have no joy I’ll send you my gauge to check your pressures :)
Thank you. I'm crossing my fingers this will work.

At this point, I'd settle for being in the dark on the pressures if I got the Christmas lights to go off--although I'm still holding out hope that I can have both :)

What firmware is required for 2004 LX470?

(called SIL for Software In Loop) to talk with the peripheral ECUs like AHC, VGRS etc

yes there is a sil line but it is used a back up to typically srs and abs in the event that there is no can communication. ahc, vgsr is probably a lin system with bus comunication

...so this is interesting. No idea if this is a valid data point or not, but I ran the Cable Check Utility in Techstream, and got the following results: basically all good, except K and L lines are coming back as red (no good?). I don't know if these lines actually matter for anything... any thoughts?

looks like the cable is no good. probably still a good idea to check the can lines pins at the dlc for correct resistance

looks like the cable is no good. probably still a good idea to check the can lines pins at the dlc for correct resistance
Yes. My cable arrives tomorrow, and I will add this to my problem solving arsenal as I get back into it with the truck.

(getting new tires installed tomorrow, and my new AHC Globes just arrived, so looking forward to those projects as soon I as I get these Christmas tree lights sorted!)

yes there is a sil line but it is used a back up to typically srs and abs in the event that there is no can communication. ahc, vgsr is probably a lin system with bus comunication
For an 03LX there’s no CAN comms at DLC3 and SIL from the AHC ECU goes to DLC3, pin 7 in my case. The other two data line outputs are your Ts and Tc. I know of a guy with a ROW vehicle that couldn’t read AHC data and I got him to check that his pin 7 at DLC3 was connected to the ECU SIL output, it wasn’t connected and when he ran a jumper he was able to read AHC data straight away. It’s here in mud from a year or two ago. I’m pretty confident that, at least for an 03LX, AHC data is carried on the SIL line to pin 7 of DLC3. VGRS ECU also has the SIL output.

Last edited:
I have the V 7.2 TS data file/drivers/etc if needed. I invested $75 on a little 32bit Dell dedicated machine- works great.

Following out of interest. I’m using all the same software and equipment from the Techstream how-to thread with no issues on a bunch of different vehicles.

Non-update, update: Amazon fail on delivery--should have had new cable today, but didn't. Hoping tomorrow.

Yes. My cable arrives tomorrow, and I will add this to my problem solving arsenal as I get back into it with the truck.

(getting new tires installed tomorrow, and my new AHC Globes just arrived, so looking forward to those projects as soon I as I get these Christmas tree lights sorted!)
New globes & tires - Sweet!

What tires did you go with?

I’ve got an old cable if that would be of any help but I won’t be back your neck of the woods until next week

What tires did you go with?

I got the Duratrac 285/75R18's -- I have been wanting to run that tire (for its snow capabilities) for years now, but they haven't had a 35" that would fit well before... now they do :)

I’ve got an old cable if that would be of any help but I won’t be back your neck of the woods until next week
Thanks for the offer. I'm crossing my fingers that Amazon delivers today, but may follow-up if they mess it all up.

SUCCESS!

So Amazon decided to finally deliver the new miniVCI cable (with firmware 2.0.4), and now everything works! I was able to connect, erase the VSC memory and run the retest, clear all the codes, etc. and now all is back to good again!

Many thanks to all for jumping in and helping me troubleshoot this issue. At this point I've lost count on the number of times this community has jumped in and saved the day. You guys rock. Thank you!

SUCCESS!

So Amazon decided to finally deliver the new miniVCI cable (with firmware 2.0.4), and now everything works! I was able to connect, erase the VSC memory and run the retest, clear all the codes, etc. and now all is back to good again!

Many thanks to all for jumping in and helping me troubleshoot this issue. At this point I've lost count on the number of times this community has jumped in and saved the day. You guys rock. Thank you!
Do you mind posting an image of your working mVCI’s cable check result please, seems like running a cable check if you encounter any issues should be the first step in any diagnostics. Here’s a thread from a few years ago where the OP couldn’t access ECUs Techstream error- will not read AHC and other tests

Here are the two cables I tried.
The one on the LEFT IS THE ONE THAT WORKED (I.e., Firmware 2.0.4)
The one on the RIGHT, with Orange label had the Firmware 1.4.1 and did not work.

However, I would not rely too much on the appearance. On both of these, the label is just a simple sticker and I suspect they get slapped around relatively freely. What matters is the Firmware inside, and that can’t be seen visually (to my knowledge.). But I can say the link I posted above where I bought the 2nd one from Amazon, that did work, here again for reference:

Do both have the same number of pins in the connector?

@sonk76

FWIW My wire looks like the one on the left ... meaning it has a silver sticker but like you said that could mean nothing!

We’re you able to check out your current pressures to baseline / compare after the new globes? Just wondering how the 80 springs are doing.

(Saw your pic with the duratracs - looks so clean - like clay bar clean!
As to not derail the thread I’d like your feedback on the fog lights and tires when you have a chance)

@sonk76

FWIW My wire looks like the one on the left ... meaning it has a silver sticker but like you said that could mean nothing!

We’re you able to check out your current pressures to baseline / compare after the new globes? Just wondering how the 80 springs are doing.

(Saw your pic with the duratracs - looks so clean - like clay bar clean!
As to not derail the thread I’d like your feedback on the fog lights and tires when you have a chance)

I did look at the pressures quickly, and will look at them more precisely (write them down) before and after the globes. From what I remember, the front pressure were higher than spec, and the rear pressures were lower than spec (the truck rides quite nice right now, so if I can get the front to spec, I will be quite happy having the rear below spec when empty, which will give me confidence to load the truck up for trips, etc.)

No claybar on the truck, though it could use it. Also, love the new fog lights. Big improvement from before. In process of upgrading the lights as well, so will update once that's done.

I did look at the pressures quickly, and will look at them more precisely (write them down) before and after the globes. From what I remember, the front pressure were higher than spec, and the rear pressures were lower than spec (the truck rides quite nice right now, so if I can get the front to spec, I will be quite happy having the rear below spec when empty, which will give me confidence to load the truck up for trips, etc.)

No claybar on the truck, though it could use it. Also, love the new fog lights. Big improvement from before. In process of upgrading the lights as well, so will update once that's done.
Sounds like the best case scenario - crank the front t bars and you should be back in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom