Techstream resulted in VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and blinking VGRS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

doa can bus check, that is available under the main menu and will show if you have communication between the different computer systems

that shouldn't affect anything, I plug in and remove the scantool key on key off it dosnt matter.

I see your running techstream on a mac, we use windows computers at work so maybe that could be an issue?

also it is highly unlikely that the tire sensors are causing any of these issues so I would rule that out.
Thanks those are very helpful points.

I'm running on a virtual machine on a mac, but who knows perhaps that is the issue. I will install on on a PC and see what happens then...

Are you suggesting that something in the TPMS side of the system could be causing the issues I'm seeing? EDIT: If this was because of my reference to the DTC C2125 in earlier post, then I believe that issue has been resolved. In attempting to clear codes, this code was in fact cleared and it correlates well with what I saw 6 months ago--regardless changing all the TPMS sensors this week.

I was responding to the earlier post regarding your issue was still related to DTCC2125. I misunderstood- I thought you couldn't clear the TPMS DTC. So disregard point #5 in your list- I doubt that is the issue.

Sorry I am no TS expert, I've used it conservatively on my truck to check things and gather data for about 3 years. If you dont follow the right boot sequence it won't work right. Its possible the error code you are seeing may be a glitch with the version of the software it self. What machine (32 or 64 bit) and what version of TS software are you using? That might help someone else to offer some suggestion.

I haven't heard of the hacked TS versions we're all using causing any ECU related failures- but I suppose anything is possible with a virus laden disc or a poor ground between the computer and the DLC. For sure these systems are sensitive to electrical inputs, especially can bus with ground issues, or say like removing the positive battery terminal first can cause unwanted problems.

I'd try to reboot TS with the key on ACC procedure and see what happens. If that fails, try removing and reinstalling TS and try again or try installing a different or older version.

so those are the system requirements right off of tis on the techstream page, no mention of using a mac so id try to load it onto a windows laptop and try again

Yes. I was running them inside a virtual machine on the Mac (VirtualBox), so from techstream perspective it was running in Windows XP. I did just install it all on native Windows machine, but it is all behaving the same way... :-/

What version?

techstream 12.20.024 is pretty outdated current version is 13.30.018. are you running the mongoose techstream light cable?

I'm running the install from How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes along with the miniVCI cable referenced there (https://amazon.com/Fangfei-Mini-Diagnostic-Scanner-Toyota/dp/B06XGB714M).

I have not tried to update techstream. wasn't sure what types of issues that might raise in terms of the install. I was hoping that while 12.20.024 may not be that new, I was quite certain that it is quite a bit newer than my car from '06, and thus it should be able the handle all issues with that model year (I understand that there are always bug fixes and such that get entered, but was hoping that most of those would have been implemented in the last decade already...)

Btw, I'm still eager to hear from anyone who is using TechStream if the behavior I'm seeing of Height Control "OFF" blinking rapidly as soon as I plug in the miniVCI cord is correct. I'm happy to buy another $20 cable if that will be the fix!

As far as I know newer versions have no positive benefit in functionality regarding our dated platform and limited program features. In our case older is actually better 7.0, 8.0, 9.0m . The latest versions are best suited to 2016+ models.

I run a 9.0 version on a 32 bit on a old windows 10 machine. I was reading over on the club lexus forum that the newer/latest version 12.0xx only works on 64bit machines. In fact the you need a different mini vci to run 12.0 and newer.

doa can bus check, that is available under the main menu and will show if you have communication between the different computer systems

I pressed the CAN Bus Check button and got the following:
this is with engine not running, but ignition in ON position.

you have a can communication issue so that's not great, thats the reason your not coming up with codes is because theres no communication between systems. unless you have a good volt meter, rm, spare time and somem electrical knowledge you may want to send this out to a dealer for diag

if you can start to get can communication and get some codes that will start to point you in the right direction, but with no codes youll have to check everything to find the issue.

if you can start to get can communication and get some codes that will start to point you in the right direction, but with no codes youll have to check everything to find the issue.
What are the chances that this has anything to do with the specific minVCI I'm using? i.e., is it worth buying another one in case this type, or this specific one, is not able to get the job done?

its possible that it could be an issue with the cable, have you ever used it before or was this the first time using it. if theres someone else in the area with a known good cable id try that before buying a new one. if I was going to by one personally I would by the mongoose cable, that's the recommended cable to run the techstream light with.

I personally don't have any experience with that cable so I don't know how good or bad it is.

you can do a quick can check from the dlc connector

As far as I know newer versions have no positive benefit in functionality regarding our dated platform and limited program features. In our case older is actually better 7.0, 8.0, 9.0m . The latest versions are best suited to 2016+ models.

I run a 9.0 version on a 32 bit on a old windows 10 machine. I was reading over on the club lexus forum that the newer/latest version 12.0xx only works on 64bit machines. In fact the you need a different mini vci to run 12.0 and newer.
Thanks. I'll try to look into the mini VCI that's in use...

its possible that it could be an issue with the cable, have you ever used it before or was this the first time using it. if theres someone else in the area with a known good cable id try that before buying a new one. if I was going to by one personally I would by the mongoose cable, that's the recommended cable to run the techstream light with.
It's my first time using the cable. Bought it for just this purpose. One data point, not sure if worth mentioning: prior to using this miniVCI cable, I tried using just a regular OBD2 cable I had lying around. Not surprisingly, I never got it to connect with Techstream. That said, it was connected to the DLC3 port in the vehicle--not sure if that could have left the system in some strange state; I did NOT see anything strange with the vehicle after that (this was ~1 week prior to me getting this new cable, and getting myself into trouble.)

well if it only the issue only started after the vci cable was used than it would stand to reason that that could possibly be the issue, I would still try to find a known good cable and try that before throwing another cable at it.

...so this is interesting. No idea if this is a valid data point or not, but I ran the Cable Check Utility in Techstream, and got the following results: basically all good, except K and L lines are coming back as red (no good?). I don't know if these lines actually matter for anything... any thoughts?

DLC3 connector test.jpg

Wow, lot going on here with +30 posts. Here’s my take reading from last back:
  1. K line is critical as it carries your data between ECUs and the mVCI.
  2. AHC OFF light should NOT flash when Techstream is connected unless you’ve put it into utility test mode.
  3. If you cleared memory under the ABS tab then you’ll need to repopulate it with a zero point calibration allowing memory to be reinitialized. There’s a good TSB on that that I’ve shared with others which I’ll find.
  4. It’s really bad form to connect/disconnect an interface device like the mVCI into old technology when it’s live. This is late 80s, maybe very early 90s, stuff and it’s can be easily damaged and confused. Also, if you’re having random or consistent connectivity problems it’s worth isolating your laptop from the vehicle (don’t use a vehicle powered inverter, use laptop battery or mains power supply) to eliminate signal to common ground commonality issues.

Wow, lot going on here with +30 posts. Here’s my take reading from last back:
  1. K line is critical as it carries your data between ECUs and the mVCI.
  2. AHC OFF light should NOT flash when Techstream is connected unless you’ve put it into utility test mode.
  3. If you cleared memory under the ABS tab then you’ll need to repopulate it with a zero point calibration allowing memory to be reinitialized. There’s a good TSB on that that I’ve shared with others which I’ll find.
  4. It’s really bad form to connect/disconnect an interface device like the mVCI into old technology when it’s live. This is late 80s, maybe very early 90s, stuff and it’s can be easily damaged and confused. Also, if you’re having random or consistent connectivity problems it’s worth isolating your laptop from the vehicle (don’t use a vehicle powered inverter, use laptop battery or mains power supply) to eliminate signal to common ground commonality issues.
Thank you for the input.

Re: #1 - It appears my cable is a 1.4.1 Firmware cable, that doesn't support the K Line. So I need to get a different cable that supports K Line, which I belive are the 2.0.4 Firmware cables... I will look for one of those.

Re: #2 - Got it. Thank you for the clarification! When I saw it first, I thought it was odd. Hopefully a new cable will solve.

Re #3 - I was never able to clear the memory, it would always lose connection (as mentioned in some of the earlier posts). I did try to repopulate without resetting, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Re: #4 - Good points, and I will play accordingly in the future.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I've placed an order for a new 2.0.4 Firmware cable. I should get it Thursday and will report back if that fixes the issue (unless someone has some other things I should try in the meantime with my 1.4.1 cable...)

This is the new one I ordered:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom