Techstream resulted in VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and blinking VGRS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATE: Issue was completely resolved by using a miniVCI cable with firmware version 2.0.4. It appears that my '06 LX was not compatible with the miniVCI cable that others had successfully used. So lesson to be learned pay attention to the cable firmware as it can be the difference between things working just fine, vs. leaving your dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.

I recently followed the 5-min to Techstream guide How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes , and while this allowed me to succesfully view neutral pressures of my AHC system (which was the point of the whole exercise), after I disconnected the miniVCI, I suddenly now have three lights on:

VSC TRAC - solid
VSC OFF - solid
VGRS - blinking

see photo.

The VGRS did disappear after driving around a bit, while the other two lights remained on, only to return as soon as I restarted the truck. Now, when I restart the truck, initially only the VGRS is blinking, no VSC TRAC or VSC OFF lights, but as soon as I put it in gear the VSC TRAC And VSC OFF lights come back on as well.

I have not, knowingly at least, modified anything with the Techstream tool, just tried to read the values. Incidentally, and not sure if related, when I plugged in the MiniVCI plug into the vehicle, the VSC TRAC did light up, and the "OFF" light for AHC began to blink. This was true every time I plugged in the miniVCI cable.

Any advise on how to troubleshoot and/or address? To my knowledge, there are no "real" faults of any kind with the system...

UPDATED -- I will try to keep updated to have in a single place

MAIN ISSUE:
  1. VSC TRAC, VSC OFF on and VGRS Blinking while driving vehicle [sometimes VSC lights turn off at startup, but then immediately turn on once vehicle begins to move]
OTHER OBSERVED ISSUES:
  1. VirtualBox > Techstream > AHC Live > Trouble Codes > fails to load with error 0x91020324
  2. VirtualBox > Techstream > ABS/VSC/TRAC > Reset Memory > fails after start with "Lost Communications with vehicle"
  3. VirtualBox > Techstream > Clear all codes > fails with Error Clearing (DA-03-004): Clearing DTCs, Freeze Frame... has failed
OTHER OBSERVATIONS:
  1. AHC appears to be working fine (i.e., cycling L, N, H etc.)
  2. miniVCI > as soon as miniVCI is plugged into vehicle, and ignition turned to ON, VSC TRAC turns on solid, Height Control "OFF" blinks fast, and VGRS blinks
  3. VirtualBox > Techstream > AHC Live > Data List > appears to show pressure readings for globes (zero initially, but after changing height they are populated)
  4. VirtualBox > Techstream > ABS/VSC/TRAC > message indicates that engine should be idling for communication to work--I've tried both ways, and hasn't made any difference.
  5. VirtualBox >Techstream > Health Check > doesn't show any DTC codes
PROBLEM SOLVING STEPS ATTEMPTED:
  1. LX470 > Disconnected battery for 20 minutes
  2. LX470 >Fuse > OBD-2 7.5amp > OK
  3. LX470 > Fuse > ECU-B2 10amp > OK
  4. VirtualBox > changed USB controller between 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 (seems to like 1.0 best)
  5. VirtualBox > Techstream > VIM selection tried all options, only xhorse mvci worked to make any connection to vehicle
  6. VirtualBox > Techstream > ABS/VSC/TRAC > Utility > Reset Memory > Fails with Lost Communication (#2 above)
  7. VirtualBox > Techstream > ABS/VSC/TRAC > Utility > Test Mode > appears to complete succesfully, but no impact
  8. VirtualBox > Techstream > Tire Pressure Monitor > Trouble Codes > no codes showing
  9. VirtualBox > Techstream > [miscellaneous wandering through the darkness] > no good has come of it
  10. Win10 > tried installing VirtualBox/Techstream on a Win10 machine instead of the MacBook Pro I was using - no difference
  11. VirtualBox > Techstream > CAN Bus Check > "there is no system found on the communication bus"
  12. Use new 2.0.4 Firmware miniVCI cable > PROBLEM SOLVED!

Last edited:
hook it back up, see what codes you have and clear them

I did. It showed a single DTC code C2125 -- which appears to be related to a TPMS reading. When I selected "clear all codes" it gave an error, saying failed to clear codes. I have no idea of this code is in anyway related to what were seeing here -- I'm not seeing a blinking tire pressure indicator, which I believe is an indicator for this DCT code (I did see the blinking tire pressure indicator 6 months ago, and it subsequently went away, and I suspect this code is a remnant from that incidence.)

EDIT: I'm a 100% newbie to Techstream, so it's possible that I'm just using it wrong. So if there are any pointers on how to best view/clear codes, I'd love to hear them. Also, any best practice on whether to have the car running or just ignition in "on" position while connecting to Techstream would be appreciated.

Also, any best practice on whether to have the car running or just ignition in "on" position while connecting to Techstream would be appreciated.
that's going to depend on model and year, some systems its recommend to have the vehicle running to prevent codes.

you code c2125 is for tire id5, you probably have a sensor that is going bad due to a failing battery.

drive the truck around the block and see if any codes set some codes wont set till the vehicle moves. id also try to doa zero point on the deceleration sensor, youll find that under utilities in the abs/trac on techstream and see of the lights out.

that's going to depend on model and year, some systems its recommend to have the vehicle running to prevent codes.

you code c2125 is for tire id5, you probably have a sensor that is going bad due to a failing battery.

drive the truck around the block and see if any codes set some codes wont set till the vehicle moves. id also try to doa zero point on the deceleration sensor, youll find that under utilities in the abs/trac on techstream and see of the lights out.
In my case, this is an '06 LX470.

RE: c2125: just ordered brand new 5 tpms sensors, figure best to get them all done rather than messing around--will install with new tires this week.

I will drive around the block tomorrow to see if I can get the codes to show up, and will research the zero point calibration you described. Thanks again for the support! Hope tomorrow brings clarity on the issues.

In my case, this is an '06 LX470

I did see that in the sig line, and usually having to have the vehicle run for certain systems is usually more on older vehicles.

id also looking at getting a new fit kit for the sensors, its only an extra 10/sensor and youll get new nut, washer for the nut and a new rubber grommet for the sensor. new sensors will have a new grommet but if the sensors are crusty and corroded youll want new hardware. its always fun having to cut the old sensors out of the rims when their nice and crusty a Dremel tool, hammer and small chisel work just fine for the job

id also looking at getting a new fit kit for the sensors, its only an extra 10/sensor and youll get new nut, washer for the nut and a new rubber grommet for the sensor. new sensors will have a new grommet but if the sensors are crusty and corroded youll want new hardware.

Are you talking about something like this:

It wasn't quite clear to me what additional parts I'd be getting that aren't already included with the sensor. I was under the impression that a new sensor would come with everything one would need. Here is what I ordered:

Thanks for any clarification.

Did you have the truck in the on or running position when plugging or unplugging the cable? I always plug and unplug it only when completely off and would be concerned about 'frying' something or otherwise introducing an error if doing so at any other time. I don't consider the connection to the laptop as big of a deal, though I do tend to follow the same pattern. After it's connected to obd2, I connect to usb and make sure the OS recognizes it before turning the key to on or start before starting techstream. Then I turn it off or close techstream so that it loses connection, then I unplug it from usb. Sometimes I leave it plugged into the obd2 port for days at a time if I'm working still working on it. With no usb power it's as if it isn't there.

Whether that has anything to do with your problem here is another story, but I thought I'd ask.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for ~15 minutes to see if that resets anything?

Did you have the truck in the on or running position when plugging or unplugging the cable?

I did plug and unplug while the engine was running, so it's possible that could be a factor. Will try your process in the future.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for ~15 minutes to see if that resets anything?

I have not yet tried this. Will give that a shot first.

I always plug into the DLC before turning key on, or initializing techstream.

You can read codes, freeze frame data and program with engine off, key on to ACC.

The process I use:

Key off plug into DLC3 (under dash)
Key on to ACC (engine off), then initialize Techstream.

If you want to read live data then:

Key off plug into DLC3 (under dash)
Key on and start engine, then initialize Techstream.

The resident TS guru is @PADDO , maybe he’ll chime in.

To address your dtc- run the health check, pull the freeze frame data and then figure out the time and date of the triggered code. Address from there. There will be a diagnostic process for that code or group of codes in the repair manual under Diagnostics “DI”

Thank you that is helpful. Perhaps that's caused some of my issues.

Btw, is it normal that the AHC "OFF" light is flashing and the VSC Trac light are on solid when connected to the vehicle with the miniVCI?

So far my battery disconnect did not reconcile anything... is there a fuse somewhere I should check?

Also, I'm not seeing any DTC codes in the system, after running health check. Attached is after running health check. Am I looking at the results correctly?

IMG_0182.jpg

So far my battery disconnect did not reconcile anything... is there a fuse somewhere I should check?

I checked the OBD fuse 7.5 amps, and it's good... so not sure what that is.

When I go to Reset Memory under ABS/VSC/TRAC I get a lost communication error, not sure if related...

The "Test Mode" under the same utility menu seemed to work fine, but it did not resolve my issue.

IMG_0188.jpg

Best if you check DI section of the manual for the process to test the ecu controlling tpms-

Guessing cause I have no further proven fix to add: tpms could require recalibration. Wouldnt it be great if it were as simple as putting some air in the tires.

Best if you check DI section of the manual for the process to test the ecu controlling tpms-

Guessing cause I have no further proven fix to add: tpms could require recalibration. Wouldnt it be great if it were as simple as putting some air in the tires.

Sorry, what is "DI section"?

Are you suggesting that something in the TPMS side of the system could be causing the issues I'm seeing? EDIT: If this was because of my reference to the DTC C2125 in earlier post, then I believe that issue has been resolved. In attempting to clear codes, this code was in fact cleared and it correlates well with what I saw 6 months ago--regardless changing all the TPMS sensors this week.

As another data point: asking the system for the Trouble Codes specific to AHC Live view always fails with an error: 0x91020324

...I'm adding additional data points here in the hopes that some of it starts to make sense.

Thank you for the continued suggestions here...

Btw, I'm still wondering if it is normal for the Height Control "OFF" light to start fast blinking as soon as I plug in the miniVCI cable?

Last edited:
DI is a section of the FSM. It's like a chapter in a book.

Got it. thanks. So at the moment these are some of the possibilities for issues:

1. Problem with miniVCI cable (not sure if it is functioning as intended: see comments about fast blinking above)
  2. Possibly related to #1, inability to ABS/VSC/TRAC > Reset Memory
  3. VSC ECU issue -- somehow broke with techstream
  4. AHC system issue (can't get Trouble codes, instead see 0x91020324
  5. TPMS calibration (I don't quite understand how this could play a role, but I suspect lots of issues could be at play)
  6. Some blown fuse, due to my plugging in the miniVCI to the truck while it was idling.
  7. Some VGRS issue that some how was triggered by this

...man this list just keeps getting longer. About the only thing I've been able to eliminate for certain are potential blown fuses, which I've tested and have so far found all to be good (have not checked all of them) I'm hoping that there is a good solution here somewhere in the future so I can help someone else from getting themselves up a creek with something as harmless as checking AHC pressures... :)

To keep clutter to minimum, I've added observations and problems solving status section to the original post so that anyone willing to help doesn't have to read through all the commentary... I will try to keep it updated.

Are you talking about something like this:

It wasn't quite clear to me what additional parts I'd be getting that aren't already included with the sensor. I was under the impression that a new sensor would come with everything one would need. Here is what I ordered:

Thanks for any clarification.

yes the link for the matainence kit s what I was referring to, we just call it a fit kit at work. you get the nut that secures the sensor into the rim as well as the metal washer that goes between the nut and rim. you may not need them but I f the sensors are corroded you may not be able to remove the sensors with out having to cut them out, you may not be able to use the nuts after that. ive had sensors where the nut is corroded to the sensor and just brakes the sensor off in the rim.

I did plug and unplug while the engine was running, so it's possible that could be a factor. Will try your process in the future.

that shouldn't affect anything, I plug in and remove the scantool key on key off it dosnt matter.

I see your running techstream on a mac, we use windows computers at work so maybe that could be an issue?

also it is highly unlikely that the tire sensors are causing any of these issues so I would rule that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom