Techie ideas for FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Warren, Texas. That is about as deep East Texas as it gets. Maybe Colmesneil is deeper but I'd have to think about that for a bit. Fred or Spurger are right in there too. ;)

-B-

I custom fitted the 2 pc clamps on the upper cross bar with the slide adj. clamp off one of the lower bars and using both adj. all the way out and replace the knob screw with nut and bolt. used it for my surfboard rack.

Good call Beowulf, I see that you've spent a little time in the Piney Woods!!! I went with the OME and Total Chaos Uppers. Seems my computer caught a bug down here in Mexico so I don't haven't been on line much while at home. When you say foothills are we talking Deadwood? or other?

When you say foothills are we talking Deadwood? or other?

Nuevo Mexico foothills.

I was raised in Beaumont and had family and friends throughout East Texas, including Warren. Born in Center, spent a few years in 'doches. Fished and camped throughout the area. Fished at Dam "B" before they put in the resevoirs; T-Bend, Rayburn, Livingston, and even fished Caddo as a kid. Good times. We are traveling to Brenham as I type this...

Now we'll probably get moved to Chat. :D

-B-

one thing that I would love to see added is some kind of storage cubicle under the floor in the trunk like the rav4. Never could understand they make a vehicle to do cross country wheeling but not even a place to store a towing chain or any tools. This would be a great improvement. Also agree radio button very annoying way to small

I would agree, more storage for gear.

Ahmen to all that.. I tried to add some grab bars for entry/exit from rear seats, There is nothing to bolt/screw to in the door jamb! NOTHING, plus if you overnight in the rear you need to leave the back window ajar and turn off your dome lights,so you can reach outside for the door handle to get out. That's just lame,I would love to sit in on a designers board meeting and find out how they come up with some of this stuff, Only I can't understand Japanese.!:doh:

Ahmen to all that.. I tried to add some grab bars for entry/exit from rear seats, There is nothing to bolt/screw to in the door jamb! NOTHING, plus if you overnight in the rear you need to leave the back window ajar and turn off your dome lights,so you can reach outside for the door handle to get out. That's just lame,I would love to sit in on a designers board meeting and find out how they come up with some of this stuff, Only I can't understand Japanese.!:doh:

Do a search for the rearwindow open button Hack ;) on the blue forum.

Last edited:
There is a code for that beeping. PM me if you want it.
ha ha.. funny. Another idea I just had, while not very techy. Very important in daily driving. This FJ is just like my girlfriend b itches about pretty much everything. Put it in reverse beeep, no seatbelt beeep, leave door open beeep, it's seriously extremely annoying. But like my g/f I still love her/it :).

brake calipers

owning the fj has been a fun experience...except when your making mods. The toyota factory happened to supply my non TRD model with what appears to be TRD brake cailpers or as they say "big boy calipers". didn't find this out till after lifting the fj and trying to put my aftermarket wheels on. They would not clear the caliper. I then had to wait...had to order spidertrac spacers($200.00) later. wheels fit fine and actually look better...after installing bushwacker flares to handle the slightly extended 33"s. I agree, the body mount on the fj is a pain. so, i took it to my local 4x4 mod shop and had it chopped and remade. now everything is as it should be. Pics will follow soon. The fj motto with wheel mods.....you dont know till you try and fit it. then either get spacers and a body mount chop.:bang:

Some have been mentioned before but here goes:

Smaller C-Pillar as semis can get lost at a 45 degree angle
Larger gas tank - 19 gal is too small especially if you add weight and larger tires
Bright green handle with arrows for the clamshell doors as no one can seem to find them
Additional gauges for trainy temp, etc
A system like sync with a bluetooth option
A beep when I leave my lights on - I know they turn off automatically but it beeps for everything else, why not for something important.
Better departure angle - front can easily be changed with a new bumper, rear you are stuck unless you cut the frame.
Drain plugs in the floor
Move the wiring and computers higher up so that if you get wet they won't
Make the cruise control work - when it downshifts it goes 4-5 mph over the desired speed and then slows down.

All that said I love it :)

Storage Box above drivers side rear tire well

On the passenger side of my 2007 FJ Cruiser there is a gigantic subwoofer box attached. Why doesn't someone (like toyota) manufacture a storage box for the other side of my trunk compartment. It could fit in the same space that that subwoofer fits, but on the other side of the trunk compartment.

On the passenger side of my 2007 FJ Cruiser there is a gigantic subwoofer box attached. Why doesn't someone (like toyota) manufacture a storage box for the other side of my trunk compartment. It could fit in the same space that that subwoofer fits, but on the other side of the trunk compartment.

That's where most folks mount their 10 lb. CO2 bottle.

Ok I started this thread for ideas on the Techie side of the FJ. Stuff we can pass on(as to Toyota's guys ) that would be cool to have in the FJ. One thought I had is to have a electronic adjustable idle for use when runnning the winch or other accessories. Since no throttle cable, something bundled with the computer would be great.
So in that spirit, what other thoughts would be cool? :grinpimp:
later robbie

Did anyone ever do a throttle control?

A good modern diesel. Modern diesels are all my family drives in the UK, they have so much better mileage and superb torque. Or maybe something innovative like Ford's ecoboost engine... if it hangs together in real life.

In other countries the Hilux gets the 3.0l D-4D which is good for about 170hp and 260 ft.lbs, the UK combined economy is around 38mpg which would be 30mpg in little US gallons. Isn't the FJ a Hilux chassis? So that should fit? And it is a clean diesel for the EUropean market. So why are we still only getting the 4.0 gas engine? Come to that why are we still getting the Taco instead of the Hilux?

Last edited:
why not
put a 4 point seat and harness for the passenger ...my small wife is all over the place trying to hang on point
Doug

one thing that I would love to see added is some kind of storage cubicle under the floor in the trunk like the rav4. Never could understand they make a vehicle to do cross country wheeling but not even a place to store a towing chain or any tools. This would be a great improvement. Also agree radio button very annoying way to small
I have had my FJ for about a month now, and these are two of my biggest gripes. My previous vehicle was an 08 RAV4, and that underfloor compartment was wonderful. It is especially aggravating when you look at all that unused space under the cargo area.

And also agreed, for all of Toyotas talk about large, easy to use knobs and handles on the FJ, the radio knobs are tiny, short and slippery...very difficult to operate if the road is bumpy at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom