Tank question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1969 FJ40. Looking at auxiliary tanks and Man-a-Fre says for off road use. WHY? Does it really matter (i.e. "lawyer-ese")? Seems like a better chance of smashing it off road.

Is Mark's a better tank? More recent link to Mark's?

Thanks all!

I think it's for the same reason every time I (accidentally) buy something from CA there's a disclaimer telling me it'll cause cancer. Better chance of smashing it off road? True. But if it smashes in town--like say some yahoo runs a red light and hits you--there's a better chance of them finding an ambulance chaser (here in Dallas that'd be Jim Adler, the "Texas Hammer!") who would sue you and the manufacturer and everyone who ever looked at you.

I'm sure it is a California thing. A blanket disclaimer because of emissions laws. If a vehicle has a vapor recovery system (1970 and newer I think) an auxiliary gas tank would violate smog laws. It protects them if they sell it in California.

It might not be DOT approved and the statement also helps protect the manufacturer. If there's an accident it gives a remote reason for an insurance company not pay out.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!!

Also, maybe because they have no control over installation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom