Talon’s Garage Aluminum Skid Plates? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone seen or know about these at all?

Seem like a reasonable US made alternative to ASFIR or other aluminum skids. Yes, I know steel are preferred for the hardcore crowd, but for those of us that are not crawling much, these are attractive for $900.

Those openings for oil pan drain and filter looks to be on the smallish side.

Hard to tell from the photos, but is the hardware recessed into the skids?

Wonder if you can order without a big hole cut out in the middle of each plate?

They seem to be pretty popular in the F150 and 4Runner/GX world, but at the end of the day you are putting aluminum skids on a 6000+ lb truck so adjust you're expectations accordingly. I wouldnt expect them to allow catastrophic damage on a hard hit but their durability long term I think is the real issue. I've seen lots of posts on GXOR of cracked welds and what not on aluminum skids.

For the price and weight I'd almost rather go with ARB skids. They are a thinner steel and will probably bend but I doubt you would see cracking and what not that you might with aluminum.

I like the cat coverage. Yes agreed the big cutout on each is bit much. Ventilation maybe? 😄

I will just say, without a support structure, the aluminum will cave in pretty easily under the weight of 200 series.

I will just say, without a support structure, the aluminum will cave in pretty easily under the weight of 200 series.
Not that I'm planning on doing heavy rock crawling, but how do you think your skids would hold up? The supporting structure on your skids look pretty beefy :)

Exactly what I was thinking.

Not that I'm planning on doing heavy rock crawling, but how do you think your skids would hold up? The supporting structure on your skids look pretty beefy :)
They will support the weight of the vehicle and then some.. 2x weight of the vehicle in a frontal impact.

Unsupported 1/4" thick aluminum will support ~0.8 of the vehicle weight and severely deform before that.

Aluminum isn't the best for rock crawling, but they will get you through most places. If you're going to rock crawl, my skids will allow you to add UHMW plastic to them, which will make them a lot better in the rocks.

My skids also don't have unnecessary logos on them, which cause hang up/weak points.

@MTKID was supposed to add UHMW skins to his skids. Do you have an update on your project?

@Supra Turbo How are you liking your skids, hopefully no stolen cats? :)

They will support the weight of the vehicle and then some.. 2x weight of the vehicle in a frontal impact.

Aluminum isn't the best for rock crawling, but they will get you through most places. If you're going to rock crawl, my skids will allow you to add UHMW plastic to them, which will make them a lot better in the rocks.

@Supra Turbo How are you liking your skids, hopefully no stolen cats? :)

Good to know! Not planning to do heavy rock crawling, but its good to have some peace of mind there's stout protection to vital components in case of an impact.

And I absolutely love them! I really like how much protection it gives around catalitic converters, particularly the way those "wings" look integrated with hidden hardware.

I also like that there's not a bunch of logos on them, they stay completely flat from engine all the way back to the transfer case skid, and have recessed hardware - so there's no snagging points.

Finally, I would add that having the large openings for oil filter and pan drain make oil changes a breeze with no spills or clean up.

@turbo8 sorry I’m not familiar - what’s your company?

It’s also in his signature, which may show up if you rotate you phone to landscape mode.

@turbo8 unfortunately, no update or progress on my project. Hoping to have it finished this spring and ready for summer but we’ll see. Still really impressed with the fit and finish of your skids and I have no questions about strength.

I put the Talon plate/cat guard on my sons lifted 4Runner to protect the cats. It's pretty sturdy and well built, but my son isn't rock crawling, this was just for security.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom