Taking my HDJ81 off the road for a couple months for a Big service. Want to run the list by you guys. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I noticed the OP has a 1990 HDJ81. That’s the 1HDT correct? Known for BEB failure?

Is the same true in the 1HDFT?

Didn’t see BEB’s on your list, adjust valve clearances too. Have fun, use OEM parts, delete facebook, go outside!
They were done by Land Cruisers Direct when the original US owner imported it.
Don't forget the soft hoses that feed coolant to the turbo. They're hard to get to, but easy when you're doing timing belt and water pump.

16284-17010 x1 (hose no.1)
16285-17010 x2 (hose no.2)
90467-15022 x6 Hose clamps
Good call!

How about the infamous coolant « T »

EDIT : Afterwards, my comment may not be relevant to an 80 with a 1HDT. It is for a HDJ100 with a 1HDTFE. Well, according to ToyoDIY ... I don't think so.

Last edited:
How about the infamous coolant « T »

EDIT : Afterwards, my comment may not be relevant to an 80 with a 1HDT. It is for a HDJ100 with a 1HDTFE. Well, according to ToyoDIY ... I don't think so.

Thankfully no coolant tee on the 1HDT. But @DancesWithMutts if your heater valve is looking dodgy now's a good time. They go yellow and brittle just like Radiator tanks.

Other things to consider replacing while you're in there:
  • Valve cover gasket
  • Intake manifold gaskets (highly recommend especially if you're running above factory boost)
  • Glow plugs (you can test these and ensure they're working and keep what you have if they are)
  • Swap Turbo-to-intake hose with silicone instead of factory rubber
  • Thermostat (I went with a non-OEM high flow version)
  • Hoses
  • PS reservoir: hard to come by a factory replacement for RHD, user Bardiya in UAE can source them (see the classifieds). But you can just peel the top off (pop the tabs) and seal it with gasket maker if it's leaking at all, I'd recommend doing that while the system is drained.
  • On the IP pump, the AC idle up actuator/dashpot. I think it's like $30, but again you can easily test this.
  • With the alternator upgrade, MAKE SURE YOU UPSIZE YOUR WIRING between the alternator and PS (LH) battery.
Have fun, sound like quite the project!

Where did you source the Thermostat and AC Idle up dashpot from? Got any part numbers?

Speaking of power steering pumps how would I tell which one I need? I have a 9/1992 HDJ81 so I am not subject to a lot of the exclusive parts I hear about on the early versions. However, I saw two part numbers and they both appear like they work and are not expensive:

Part numbers are 44320-60171 & 44320-60220

They seem interchangeable but there must be a reason for a difference in part numbers

Speaking of power steering pumps how would I tell which one I need? I have a 9/1992 HDJ81 so I am not subject to a lot of the exclusive parts I hear about on the early versions. However, I saw two part numbers and they both appear like they work and are not expensive:

Part numbers are 44320-60171 & 44320-60220

They seem interchangeable but there must be a reason for a difference in part numbers
Ive been having the same issue as you. My 81 was built 08/92 and from my understanding Toyota releases next years model or updated models in August I could me wrong on that. So ive just been buying parts that are 08/92 to 94 and havent had any issues.

Ive been having the same issue as you. My 81 was built 08/92 and from my understanding Toyota releases next years model or updated models in August I could me wrong on that. So ive just been buying parts that are 08/92 to 94 and havent had any issues.
The bad part is that website has two different part numbers and they both look like they fit and that's the reason I can't figure out which one I should get

The bad part is that website has two different part numbers and they both look like they fit and that's the reason I can't figure out which one I should get
Check Partsouq.com itll tell you the months and years that the parts will fit. I order 99 percent of my parts from them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom