Events/Trails Taking my 80 on "harder" Moab trails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was talking with Hants at Rising Sun about possibly getting on one of the harder trails at Cruise Moab. Currently signed up to run Hells Revenge, Metal Masher, and Wipeout Hill, but it looks like there will likely be space on Behind the Rocks and Moab Rim. I might have originally signed up for one of these, but it turns out that selecting "Intermediate" on driving skill locks those out of your choices. I'm generally pretty reserved in regard to proclaiming my skills.

Anyway, I thought I'd solicit some feedback from you folks on taking my 80 on either Moab Rim or Behind the Rocks. I have already taken my 80 on Hells, Cliffhanger, Kane Springs, Steel Bender, Poison Spider, Gold Bar, Fins, etc., as well as the "6" rated trail they're running overnight in the Swell this year. I'd like to focus on trail I have not already run.

I ran all of these with my 80 as it has been equipped for most of my ownership--33" tires, OME 850/863, Aussie Locker in the rear, bumpers and sliders. I now have 4.88s, and might show up with 315's :grinpimp:.

What do you folks think?
What are these trails like in an 80?
Photos of the worst parts?

Thanks for your feedback.

I was just at EJS 2009 last week on "business"... we rode Behind the Rocks one day in the direction that places White Knuckle towards the end. I don't think this trail would be a problem for your setup with the exception of running the trail in the opposite direction of what we did, thereby attempting to go up White Knuckle - not going to happen in an 80 (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Here's a quick pic I snapped of an H3T going down the knuckle...
H3T_whiteknuckle.jpg

Hahaha.
Gotta lock the center, right?
I for one, will not hold that story against you.

:beer:

...that thread was :popcorn: though not the normal kind

but apparently the vehicle will stall whether CDL is locked or not

I was just at EJS 2009 last week on "business"... we rode Behind the Rocks one day in the direction that places White Knuckle towards the end. I don't think this trail would be a problem for your setup with the exception of running the trail in the opposite direction of what we did, thereby attempting to go up White Knuckle - not going to happen in an 80 (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Here's a quick pic I snapped of an H3T going down the knuckle...

An 80 will go up that.

Hayes,
Go for it. What's the worst that can happen? You damage your Cruiser, damage yourself or someone else.:meh:

Another option is rolling the "moderate" trails, but taking all of the "harder" lines on them. The trails are rated by the trail, not the optional obstacles. So go up Hell's Gate on HR. This way you can always drive around something if you are not comfortable with it.

I wouldn't suggest to "drive what you are comfortable with" because if I did this, I never would have driven most any trail I've driven in my life. I enjoy the challenge, but am (often) reminded by my wife that the Cruiser has to be able to get us home as well.;)

No trailer queens here (yet).:flipoff2:

...thereby attempting to go up White Knuckle - not going to happen in an 80 (someone correct me if I'm wrong!).

Gary did it in his FZJ45, so half an 80 went up it.:hillbilly:

it looks like there will likely be space on Behind the Rocks and Moab Rim.

Hayes,
You'll be fine on BTR or Moab Rim. Plenty of 80s have done both. Our local club did BTR about 2 years ago with 5 or 6 80s and at least 1 with stock gears and 33s. Good spotting is the key. The gatekeeper obstacle at the entrance was easier for the 80s than the shorter wheelbase rigs as several of the 40s had to take a winch cable. I opted out of coming down High Dive; primarily due to lack of driver courage but several other 80s came down that one. I think that was the only bypass that I took but it was many trails ago and the memory is getting short.

I liked that trail and you'll have fun.

-B-

Moab Rim is a great trail, one of my favorites.
IMO the level of difficulty in the obstacles is no worse that on Cliffhanger. Like many trails a mistake in the wrong spot can be pretty serious but it isn't as bad as some might believe. You should have no troubles (last year we had an 80 on 33's with a 2.5" lift)

Some places are close to the edge of a short drop
CM08131.jpg

Some are close to a big drop;) ...Going down Devils Crack

CM08230.jpg

The wrong line there can get pretty tippy

Behind the rocks is not an issue. The entrance is probably the most difficult part. White knuckle hill is easy going down with a strap on the back. However it depends on the leader. I normally turned around there and ran the trail partially out and then ended up at the sand dunes. It is one of my favorites. Based on how much you have done in Moab and Utah you will be fine.

An 80 will not go up Whilte Knuckle hill due to the back hitting and unloading the back. I drove it quite a few times up, so did Gary last year in his Project X. So the drivetrain can do it, the body is the pain.

OK then,
Which one is more fun--Moab Rim or Behind the Rocks?

I have not run BTR so Christo's input is better in terms of a comparision.

I bet we can find a small group to run the Rim with on Sunday AM :D

Hayes,

I was with Beowulf on Behind the Rocks and Moab rim. The way my sig reads, is the way I ran it. 33" tires on the OME heavies with J's up front. I did both White Knuckle and High Dive. I thought HD was more challenging.

Behind the Rocks is longer and more fun than Moab Rim (not scary unless your from the flatlands). Don't hesitate on either.

I've got kids and as long as your brakes are cool, no worries.

TR

Moab rim is our "sunday drive" every trip before we leave town. You will be fine.

Ryan, I've done the Rim a couple times in my 80, and ran Behind the Rocks last year for the first time. My 80 is similarly equipped to yours with a rear Aussie. But I have 315's and stock gearing. I did fine, and I'm sure you'd be fine on either one.

I struggled a bit on finding the right line on Upchuck (BTR) without a front locker, but I wouldn't worry about it. I pulled the tire of my tire carrier when I went down White Knuckle. Johnny Lange left his on and it drug just enough to flex into his lift gate and leave a small dent. Again, no big deal.

Moab Rim is fun. Like others have said, some people get scared on it because of the sheer exposure on portions of the trail and that there are many ledges that are off camber. If you get really uncomfortable with heights or with being off-camber, it may not be for you, but if that doesn't bother you too bad, then its a really fun trail. It's just one of those trails that you need to pay attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom