Tailgate Reshape Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.behance.net
Good morning everyone.
Yesterday I was backing up my HJ45 in the yard, got distracted, and hit a tree! Did a good number to the tailgate.

Any ideas/suggestions on fixing it?

The body below the tailgate I can fix with a heavy hammer, but the tailgate worries me.

You can see the panels separated a bit and there's surface rust inside.
top of the tailgate stayed straight, but the bottom took a good hit.

I have considered:

1. Laying it flat on the concrete and driving over it.
  2. Trying to pound it back with a hammer.
  3. Using the separated section to help take the panels off, then straightening, removing rust/prime/paint, and re-welding together.
If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks

IMG_3257.jpg
IMG_3258.jpg
IMG_3259.jpg
IMG_3261.jpg

may i suggest a channel on the outside, heavy wall tube on the inside. nest the exterior profile in the channel n use clamps to draw it flat. i think that would get very close. pounding will just p!$$ you off

may i suggest a channel on the outside, heavy wall tube on the inside. nest the exterior profile in the channel n use clamps to draw it flat. i think that would get very close. pounding will just p!$$ you off
LOL!
Yeah, very good point about the effects of pounding the steel!
I will look into your suggestion. If I can, I may gently separate the skin since it already started, and then restore the tailgate. I'll see which one works.
Thanks!

@Joe45 , i'd say if you can get that skin off completely, the frame could be judiciously seduced back into shape. i've found if you try to sneak up on the original shape the final product is much closer than going viking on it. just don't make the mistake of hammering on a steel table with just a hammer. solid wood backing the piece with hardwood blocking between the panel n hammer. oh, yeah, if you can find a copy of HIGH PERFORMANCE WELDING AND FABRICATING by michel fornier from hp books, do so. it's really assisted me with sheet metal repairs n redneckeneering. good luck man

@Joe45 , i'd say if you can get that skin off completely, the frame could be judiciously seduced back into shape. i've found if you try to sneak up on the original shape the final product is much closer than going viking on it. just don't make the mistake of hammering on a steel table with just a hammer. solid wood backing the piece with hardwood blocking between the panel n hammer. oh, yeah, if you can find a copy of from hp books, do so. it's really assisted me with sheet metal repairs n redneckeneering. good luck man

Sounds good. Thank you!

Plan is to build a camper box on the bed, with a pop-up, so the tailgate will come off and get replaced with double doors. But in the meantime, I want it to look good.
AND...
I am thinking of building a trailer based on the bed of the truck that uses that tailgate. The trailer will me mainly for my business, but it will add a cool look that goes with the LC: a safari look, with "Decked" drawers, a sliding bed over them, etc. On top of that will be a cage to store materials, but covered with a canvas to give it that Africa-Safari look.
That book you mentioned would be awesome to help me with that, as well as work on the LC itself!
Thank you!!!!

Well, I fixed it; at least good enough until I do the restomod.
I'll post the pics on my thread To Drive Or Not To Drive.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom