Tailgate carnage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Threads
All I did was lower the tailgate...like I've done 10,000 times before.
Bad sound from the right side (like old sheet metal ripping).
That torsion-bar thingy musta got stuck (rusted, no doubt) in the "up" position.
Pulled the hinge and it's 3 screws right out of the tailgate.
Ouch.
Don't let this happen to you. Probably some sort of preventive maintenance on that
torsional gizmo is in order. Disregard if your Pig has no rust.
2004_0619Image0001.JPG

A pig with no rust, do those exist. My tailgate was so rusted up I couldnt get anything apart on it. So I ended up cutting the bar it rotates on. Good thing I wasn't planning on having a working tailgate in the future.

Time to get the welder out..... ;p Wait....you don't have a welder :eek: One of these days I have got to come by with my welder and give you a hand. Of course some liquid payment from the Rubicon brewery would be in order :cheers:

Ouch!! I've seen a busted torsion bar but not the hinge pulled out of the tailgate! Good I liberally coated the torsion bar on my daughters truck with grease when I reassembled it.

Disregard if your Pig has no rust.
Of course some liquid payment from the Rubicon brewery would be in order

First quote is just plain funny (I think my passenger side door is about to do that)!

Second quote, well that's a Rubicon I can handle!

Umm, nothing useful to add, as usual. Should my kids be using my tailgate as a diving board?

Nial

I hate it when that happens :mad: I remember a picture of a couple of tailgates stashed away somewhere safe though, yes it's all coming back to me now. I see some wrenching and spray painting in your future (have fun with those rusty bolts!):D

Tucker

Welder?! I don't need to get out no shtinkin' welder!
(not that I don't appreciate the offer, I do. The list of things I need a welder for is as long as my, Um, arm.)
No, this looks like a "simple" matter of taking the guts out of one tailgate, putting them into another empty tailgate and bolting it all together again.
When your toolbox lacks the bluewrench, you make do with what you have.
And, Nay!, CF. It is I who should travel many miles for a session with your welder, bringing mass quantities of the barleypop, quantities that only a Pig can carry!

cardinal fang said:
Time to get the welder out..... ;p Wait....you don't have a welder :eek: One of these days I have got to come by with my welder and give you a hand. Of course some liquid payment from the Rubicon brewery would be in order :cheers:

"Welcome to the Horde"??!!
Gosh, thanks, newbie.
I thought I'd been here a while. This month marks 18 years with this Pig. Check your back issues of TT. March/April 2002 (your collection goes back that far doesn't it?), page 9 (Photo by a certain Mr. Balmain) I'm far right. Page 14 includes a nice comment on my Pighandling skill by a certain Mr. Whatley. This is one of only two Pigs to have made EVERY NorCal Pigrun...
Welcome to the Sty, DragonFly. And, yes, I have checked my driver's door hinges.

Greg "Pighead" Dyche
TLCA #2509 (what's your number?)

Carnage makes me cranky

DragonFly said:
welcome to the horde... have you also checked the drivers door hinges? just wanted you to be prepared.

Ouch Pighead glad I didnt make a comment like that to you. Course I've only had my pig abotu a year so I am still learning new things every day.

Ouch

my tailgate makes a horrible squeeking noise when i open/close it, from the looks of this maybe i should grease it up.

Cheers, Dan,

One great thing about Pighead's pig......don't ever rup up against it. You might leave a few layers of skin on it ;p It is a quite a unique rig. A real pig's pig, as it were :D

Think I'm finally fingering out how this carnage happened...
The torsion bar itself was just fine, it was the linkage between the rod and the hinge that was tweaked. There's only one piece of linkage. About 2 &a 1/4 inches long. Goes between that hole and the hinge. That linkage is V-shaped. The open end of the V got too wide. Bumped into the body and stopped any downward travel of the hinge.

Eenie, meenie...which tailgate?
tailgates.JPG

My Pig is in pretty decent shape. But I had to transplant a doner tailgate, switch motors, locks etc to get it that way. In the process I could not get the torsion bar to work so I cut the end off. I have to "muscle" the gate open and closed but it really does bother me at all. I have opened gates that have the torsion and it is a little bit easier but no big deal IMHO...

Max

Took 'em apart, put one together. Door closes & latches, window goes up & down.
Good day in the sty. Took some paint & bondo off the corners so Tucker could see the rust...
2004_0621Image0001.JPG
2004_0621Image0002.JPG

Relax Dude,
They all have rust, too much by Kalifornia standards (regional variances apply).
The remaining tailgate will have to be dipped or sandblasted before I use it

tucker74 said:
Damn - they're all rust free ... that's just mean man :crybaby:

Tucker

SHOW OFF! I only have one spare tailgate and it is rusted on the bottom, but the license plate lights are in the right place

What a nice thing to say, CF. Coming from you it means quite a bit...
"A real Pig's Pig"
I'm feeling all warm and piggly inside, Maybe I should go apologize to DragonFly...

cardinal fang said:
One great thing about Pighead's pig......don't ever rup up against it. You might leave a few layers of skin on it ;p It is a quite a unique rig. A real pig's pig, as it were :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom