Tacoma dude about to convert to the FZJ80 religion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a good start. Potentially from the add the person knows a thing or two about them. You will like the AC on these things ..there is a vent under the steering wheel that was put there by a brilliant mind.

I'm liking this one right here. Black isn't my first choice of color, but it looks clean. Already has an OME lift and 33s too

Better jump on it! It has the (non) coveted CHROME PACKAGE! Chrome mirrors, and exterior door handles. Looks like the chrome wheels have already been replaced. Only available in black and only in 1996.

I have one as well.

Nobody else likes the chrome except me.

I had a Tacoma. It was BUILT!! ARB lockers, armor, 4.56 gears, Icon lift, dual batteries, OBA, the works.

It only made me miss my 80. Everything that the Tacoma was, it fell short of a similarly built 80.

Looks like a good start. Potentially from the add the person knows a thing or two about them. You will like the AC on these things ..there is a vent under the steering wheel that was put there by a brilliant mind.
I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down ;) and yeah the guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and very passionate about cruisers. It made me feel comfortable with the accuracy of the truck's condition overall.
Better jump on it! It has the (non) coveted CHROME PACKAGE! Chrome mirrors, and exterior door handles. Looks like the chrome wheels have already been replaced. Only available in black and only in 1996.

I have one as well.

Nobody else likes the chrome except me.
I hate chrome lmao. The chrome is high on the list of things to nuke hahaha
I had a Tacoma. It was BUILT!! ARB lockers, armor, 4.56 gears, Icon lift, dual batteries, OBA, the works.

It only made me miss my 80. Everything that the Tacoma was, it fell short of a similarly built 80.
Thankfully they're going to be built very differently, so hopefully I won't start to dislike my Tacoma lol. This does make me more excited about my decision to finally go for an 80 tho!

Ooooh gotcha. Yeah, I like the green on the cruisers! That'd be my #1 choice. My Tacoma has a Jango Fett helmet sticker, and the green one would have a Boba Fett sticker to keep the theme up lol #NERDALERT

Haha, own your geek-dom. 100%.
I watch Teen Titans & Amazing World of Gumball plenty....beats the news.

Green looks black up here in sun-less ~9mo / yr WA - and fixing the clearcoat issues is really pretty easy (BTDT, can run you thru if needed) , but that said your black 80 is a good choice.....

I'm liking this one right here. Black isn't my first choice of color, but it looks clean. Already has an OME lift and 33s too

Haha, once you go 8.0” of BBC (big black 80 Cruiser, you pervs :hillbilly: ) - you grow to love it.

Loved my green 450, slapped that azz on everything (get a rear bumper ASAP), and I liked my Sage 40th AE right until the day I realized I bought a Bronzit FZJ80 (check BMW E30 forums, you’ll see......)

Needless to say, Sage 40th’s are over-rated IMO as a prev owner. Unless ypu want a bland urban runner you never mod in a way that shows from 20’.

I have a few other reasons that black is my favorite body color to use as a blank canvas, but they mainly are for us up in colder climates & such.

Black is a single-stage paint so no clearcoat to peel like the early days of metallic/ clearcoated 80’s when water-base paints were horrid.

It may need a cut/polish, but the black don’t crack ;)
Exp of a ~20yr owner of a black ‘97).

It was my 1st, and still my “till I die” rig.

GL, let us know when you get it!

Thankfully they're going to be built very differently, so hopefully I won't start to dislike my Tacoma lol. This does make me more excited about my decision to finally go for an 80 tho!

The 80 is the definition of heavy duty. It wheels different, it feels solid under every stressors you can put it in. Where the tacoma and hilux feel nimble and quick and light, the 80 feels like you're driving a rhinoceros. It lumbers over rocks and wallows through the bottom of the mud hole. Best vehicle I've ever owned

Haha, own your geek-dom. 100%.
I watch Teen Titans & Amazing World of Gumball plenty....beats the news.

Green looks black up here in sun-less ~9mo / yr WA - and fixing the clearcoat issues is really pretty easy (BTDT, can run you thru if needed) , but that said your black 80 is a good choice.....

Haha, once you go 8.0” of BBC (big black 80 Cruiser, you pervs :hillbilly: ) - you grow to love it.

Loved my green 450, slapped that azz on everything (get a rear bumper ASAP), and I liked my Sage 40th AE right until the day I realized I bought a Bronzit FZJ80 (check BMW E30 forums, you’ll see......)

Needless to say, Sage 40th’s are over-rated IMO as a prev owner. Unless ypu want a bland urban runner you never mod in a way that shows from 20’.

I have a few other reasons that black is my favorite body color to use as a blank canvas, but they mainly are for us up in colder climates & such.

Black is a single-stage paint so no clearcoat to peel like the early days of metallic/ clearcoated 80’s when water-base paints were horrid.

It may need a cut/polish, but the black don’t crack ;)
Exp of a ~20yr owner of a black ‘97).

It was my 1st, and still my “till I die” rig.

GL, let us know when you get it!
I'm dying right now hahahahahaha thanks for the support! Bummed it can't be a boba cruiser, but I guess there's some cool dudes like Vader who rocked black. Good to hear about the black paint tho...my Tacoma's paint had eczema all over before we got spun out by some douche into a light pole (thanks for the new paint job Geico!). Super stoked to get this party started!
The 80 is the definition of heavy duty. It wheels different, it feels solid under every stressors you can put it in. Where the tacoma and hilux feel nimble and quick and light, the 80 feels like you're driving a rhinoceros. It lumbers over rocks and wallows through the bottom of the mud hole. Best vehicle I've ever owned
I'm stoked! My Tacoma always feels like it's being shaken to its core when out in the rocks, even before I went glass and spring-under and I had the whole high clearance bumper, skids, etc.

Run it stock for a bit before loading up on mods. Read this thread and learn from others:

If I was to start all over again, I would...
It's already lifted, so no stock action happening here lol. However, going through multiple phases in building this Tacoma already has taught me to be patient in building this cruiser. I only plan on upgrading the sound system and getting the sunroof fixed for now, then assess how/when to upgrade with gears and suspension.

I picked up an 06 Tundra double cab a few weeks ago and have been lurking the Tundra forums just for more information. My tundra will have a few mods but nothing extreme. I purposely bought it to be used as truck. However after driving an 80 for 7 years, there is no way in hell a built Tundra could do what my 80 can do. @DannyBFresco I would love to hear your impressions of the 80 after having a built Tacoma.

I picked up an 06 Tundra double cab a few weeks ago and have been lurking the Tundra forums just for more information. My tundra will have a few mods but nothing extreme. I purposely bought it to be used as truck. However after driving an 80 for 7 years, there is no way in hell a built Tundra could do what my 80 can do. @DannyBFresco I would love to hear your impressions of the 80 after having a built Tacoma.
I will be sure to post some impressions in here after I (hopefully) pick her up this weekend! Maybe this will evolve into a build thread haha. Out of curiosity, what drove you to a 2006 Tundy instead of a 2007+? I have a buddy looking into buying a Tundra and he goes back and forth between the two generations.

I have a buddy looking into buying a Tundra and he goes back and forth between the two generations.

I’m going to say something that may raise eyebrows, but to me any timing belt motor is just a street car application.

I skipped 100’s/G1 Tundras & got a 3UR (5.7) Tundra - but I am just over doing timing belts or any interference motor where you can smash vavles on pistons if a timing belt snapped.

That’s just me. :meh:

Automotive engineers definitely disagree with you...the UZ family of engines are considered some of the best V8 engines ever made.

Oh, I know - and if I hadn’t been dealing with crappy VW motors I had growing up, maybe I’d think differently in general.

But yes - I know in my head a 2UZ is a great motor - but if I ever build a 40 **my way** it’s somehow getting a 3UR (yeah, right - those Hemi-size heads) - or a 1FZ / 40 body swap on a flopped 80.

-You can even tell me built NASCAR V8’s are timing belt motors, and yet - in my head I just can’t “get there”.
-You can even tell me the advancements in the belt construction since 1990.
-All are true.

From the opposite end we could talk 1FZ chain guides slipping the plastic down from the arm.

It’s the classic 9mm/357sig/40S&W debate, just in motors.

I just can’t “buy in” myself for whatever reason, so hearing the 3UR was a return to the chain meant I knew I’d be getting one at some point.

I don’t disagree with you, I just am glad the 3UR is what it is ;)

Oh, I know - and if I hadn’t been dealing with crappy VW motors I had growing up, maybe I’d think differently in general.

But yes - I know in my head a 2UZ is a great motor - but if I ever build a 40 **my way** it’s somehow getting a 3UR (yeah, right - those Hemi-size heads) - or a 1FZ / 40 body swap on a flopped 80.

-You can even tell me built NASCAR V8’s are timing belt motors, and yet - in my head I just can’t “get there”.
-You can even tell me the advancements in the belt construction since 1990.
-All are true.

From the opposite end we could talk 1FZ chain guides slipping the plastic down from the arm.

It’s the classic 9mm/357sig/40S&W debate, just in motors.

I just can’t “buy in” myself for whatever reason, so hearing the 3UR was a return to the chain meant I knew I’d be getting one at some point.

I don’t disagree with you, I just am glad the 3UR is what it is ;)
DCE096A7-C858-4AE2-86C2-77B81F18E2D8.gif

I will be sure to post some impressions in here after I (hopefully) pick her up this weekend! Maybe this will evolve into a build thread haha. Out of curiosity, what drove you to a 2006 Tundy instead of a 2007+? I have a buddy looking into buying a Tundra and he goes back and forth between the two generations.
The 05/06 Tundra looks more like a big Tacoma. Dimensionally it's about the same as the 07+ Tundra. The 5.7L in the 2nd gens get great gas mileage and has more power. Pricing on the 06 was better and I prefer older vehicles with less electronics. I love working on the Land Cruiser and the Tundra is a close second. I hate performing any maintenance or upgrades on my 2013 VW GTI due to the overwhelming amount of thin plastic and TTY bolts.

Picked up yet?

Picked up yet?
Yup!!! Just got home from a 500-mile shakedown drive back to NorCal lol. First impressions are that I fkn love this thing! It’s not as slow as I thought it’d be, but that’s probably because my bar is pretty low after having a ‘95 4Runner with a 3.0 lol. It feels built like a tank but comfy as a Lexus. I got pretty decent gas mileage coming up too (15.5 or so). It has some wobble at freeway speed, needs a nice cleaning inside and underneath (owner before this guy drove it with all kinds of leaks that were fixed recently) and tires are an urgent necessity. Otherwise, it’s a great fkn truck, and I got a great price on it too I think!

5FAE7D0B-72C2-48AC-BCFE-84404B95EB36.jpeg

9D53C1C7-8DED-4C8A-8A08-8487B88E9CBC.jpeg

E9600A4B-C765-4D3F-A3A6-F48B095899A3.jpeg

54A3AA1F-AC78-48B4-B408-0F1F94163F54.jpeg

0B1C0765-CCDD-46D7-AD01-CCEB9C4983C0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom