Tablets with "real" GPS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I power my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 from a Blue Sea USB outlet in my 4Runner. It provides enough power to run it at full brightness. The USB outlet provides 2.1 amps (10 watts): http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=8670

I use the USGS maps (cached) with Backcountry Navigator and I can zoom down to about 500' full screen (per the scale, 20X zoom by the buttons). It does get pretty pixelly, since the tiles are bitmaps (I think they are actually PDFs for something).

I plan to run my in my FJ60, which should help with the power... should also help recharge when I'm out of the rig, on those foot-bases critter pursuits! :cool:

the newer model 7 is the one you want...the screen/display is better plus I believe the CPU is faster... most reviews I've seen say very clear plus in comparing the new version to the old....with the new being better. Not big money to go with the new version.

I too run the Backcountry Navigator app on a Galaxy Tab 2 10" (and Torque) Specifically got the Tab because of the GPS feature. Loved using it with the app and the downloaded USFS topo and road maps for the border of NC/TN. The tracing feature is nice, along with the average speed, max and min altitude change.

Anyone want to post an update on this thread? I am wanting a tablet with gps also but am kinda tech challenged. My gps needs are pretty much likke the OP. Does the galaxy have a stand alone compass? Not that I don't carry a real compass, but it would be nice to have that on the tablet as well.

my samsung note10.1 which is a souped up version of the Tab does have a built-in compass apparently.

I'll be in Sacramento tomorrow (while the 80 series gets a bumper from Luke in Grass Valley!) and will be looking at Tablets. The Galaxy 8" has my current attention deficit attention!

Not really, they were supposed to be done August of 2013. I never expected that to actually happen, so I haven't been to worried about it yet.

Earl - grey scale display - meh! For topo maps the lack of colour seems a major -ve. Is that a creek or is that a contour line? The e-ink is a good idea for sunlight viewable - but it needs to be colour and yes, colour e-ink displays exist.

For vehicle use there are MANY tablets that do a great job with builtin gps/compass/gyro and decent viewable displays if not in full sunlight.

cheers,
george.

Gaia seems easier to download maps into. I found BCN kind of cumbersome.
Going on a week long overland starting tomorrow and will test both of them in the sticks.
Using them on a samsung tab 3 - 7.0

What do the android guys preferring GAIA or BCN?

Ha ha.. I just now saw that this was alive again.

I have been using BCN with my phone (S4) and absolutely love it. It's everything and more I wanted. We went on a pretty insane hike last weekend and I finally got to really use BCN for more then just looking at where I had been. I didn't download maps, because I misunderstood where we were going and downloaded the wrong area. Well, it still worked great because I was able to just waypoint breadcrumbs as we hiked through the forest. We had zero issues getting back because we were able to just follow my waypoints back. We were 8 miles or so from the cabin in dense woods.. not something I would have even tried without landmarks or in this case.. the GPS.

It's been great. Like I said, way more then I needed and I absolutely love it. Actually just ordered a refurbished 8" Galaxy tab 3 yesterday to use in my cruiser as my primary navigation. The phone is nice because I can stick it in my pocket for hiking, but I wanted a screen I could see easy the whole area around me, where roads go, ect. Also something I could just mount and see in real time instead of stopping, pulling the phone out and checking which way to go, putting it way and driving again.

Does anyone have a sturdy mount that they can recommend. I understand I'll have to fab something to where it will mount in the FJ40, but as far as the part that actually holds on to the tablet, I have not been too impressed with most of what I've seen so far.

I use an ipadholdr held sturdy to my dash with sugru. Works great!

Ipad mini with Bad Elf GPS plugged in via Lightning Connector. The Bad Elf is inside my dash and picks up a great signal. I can also continue to charge the Ipad through the bad elf via Micro USB. Awesome product. I use Google maps in city tethered to my Iphone and Gaia GPS when exploring trails using downloaded maps. Ipad setup seen here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/touch-screen-stereo-alternative.807153/

Great topic/thread. I gave my $.02 here, am still on the hunt for a tablet I can essentially dedicate to GPS duties. Customer Care with Gaia pointed out, via emails with me, that iOS is the platform they have spent the most time with so no surprise Android has a few quirks. Still very impressed, just wasn't the right combo for me.

I like Sony Xperia tablets. Great construction, high up in the thinnest/lightest category, great screens, water/dustproof (one of the first to do this in this category), great battery life, good GPS reception, fast processor and memory, EXTERIOR SD CARD<-- a must if you're downloading maps for offline use, unless you enjoying hanging things off a USB cable ;)

The Xperias (phones too) use a standardized (for sony) magnetic charge. It could use a stronger magnet system but it keeps you from having to mess with covers (which are part of the water/dustproofing system).

My standby is my old military Itronix tablet. It carries 200GB of USGS based maps (NG TOPO!) and I use it and the Sony android (with Gaia) about 50/50.

This is why I still put things into TOPO! Massively better editing capabilities than other stuff out there, and entire state map data so you don't have to manage "offline" files.
Oregon%2520Master%2520-%2520DH%2520crop.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom