T100 engine q’s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve had my 96 T100 in the driveway for a while now with a broken engine. I recently had my GX470 totaled, so I’ll be revisiting this project. I came into the possession of my grandpas 96 4Runner 2wd, would this engine be a direct swap? They both have the 3.4 V6 engine and just would like to know before I start committing to taking up workspace. Transmissions adapters? Any knowledge of the sorts would be greatly appreciated and the frankentruck thanks you for your service! Cheers!

Aside from maybe the engine harness and ECU, it should be a direct swap. 4WD and 2WD computers are different. Manual and auto computers are different.

They’re both auto, so that should work out. I’ll have to do some research on wiring and ECU. Another thing someone had mentioned to me was dipstick location. The last engine I had put in there by “mechanics” said they had to drill a new dipstick hole. Needless to say that engine went bad about 500 miles after. Is that something to worry about?

They’re both auto, so that should work out. I’ll have to do some research on wiring and ECU. Another thing someone had mentioned to me was dipstick location. The last engine I had put in there by “mechanics” said they had to drill a new dipstick hole. Needless to say that engine went bad about 500 miles after. Is that something to worry about?
I can't speak to the 3.4L. I know the dipstick is in a different place on the 2.7L (just did the swap myself). On the 2.7 the oil pan, oil pickup, and dipstick/tube are in a different place. On the T100 it's on the driver's side of the block (rear sump oil pan). On the Tacoma and 4Runner it's at the front of the engine (front sump oil pan).

I would not be surprised if this is also true for the 3.4L since I suspect you will also have a rear sump oil pan on the T100. It's suspension related. You need to swap oil pans and pickup, get a plug for the former dipstick hole, then drill out the plug in the new location and install the new tube/dipstick. There should be plenty of information online.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I drilled out the plug. I think I pounded it out from the oilpan side.

What pappy says makes sense. I'd pull the good engine and put in on an engine stand. Then pull the bad engine and while it's hanging on the hoist compare the two and swap anything that needs swapping. Personally, I'd dig in a little and do front and rear main seals at a minimum as it is night and day easier out of the engine bay. Then install it the good engine and hook up all the wires. Assuming both are 2wd the tranny swap should be fairly simple, too. If the t100 is 4x4 then that's equally as simple.

Personally, I'd dig in a little and do front and rear main seals at a minimum as it is night and day easier out of the engine bay.
Timing belt too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom