T Fitting on Heater Hose (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome, Thanks!

Don't the 80's get regular radiator replacements? Do they clog up with all the Aluminum Oxide coating their innards?

Back when I had an 80-series, radiators seemed to last a looong time. Mine lasted well over 200k miles.

I'm thinking at 10 years old, I'll just replace the t-fitting with new ones from Toyota and go another 10 years. Hard to complain about that. Should probably just replace all the hoses at that time anyway. That's what I have done with all my other cars and it served me well.

YMMV

Last edited:
I'm thinking at 10 years old, I'll just replace the t-fitting with new ones from Toyota and go another 10 years. Hard to complain about that. Should probably just replace all the hoses at that time anyway. That's what I have done with all my other cars and is served me well.

YMMV
This was exactly my thoughts.

I saw this post and decided to order a couple of the plastic Yota T fittings from Sam at Lowe Toyota. Sam shipped them right out (Mud = no shipping fee). $7.76 each.
Since the originals made it 206K miles, I figured I would go with the same.

Finding this post definitely saved me. When I started to remove the clamp from the first one, it broke. No real pressure needed, just a little sideways movement!
The clamps were a PITA to remove especially sitting behind the engine almost under the firewall. About an hour including the warm up the engine leak test.

Thanks again Mud for great info!

I've got the diagram for the "Heating & Air Conditioning - Water Piping" printed out with all of the parts numbers including the hoses for both the driver and passenger side.

I'll certainly be replacing the T's - are most of you ALSO replacing the hoses? And are you doing both sides or just that drivers side where the T seems to be failing on the picture you're all posting?

It would seem prudent to replace all of those hoses. For my '99 they're about 13yrs old now and wouldn't the logic be the same for the recommended radiator hose (upper and lower) replacement that we would never let go this long?

This LC has seen its entire life in the Las Vegas and Phoenix heat. I would think they're dried-out and could stand to be replaced.

Am I wrong here?

Sorry for the dumb question here, but is "burping" the system necessary after the install? Any concerns with getting air in the line?

Sorry for the dumb question here, but is "burping" the system necessary after the install? Any concerns with getting air in the line?

Quick bump for further info! Mine will be here in the morning from Mr T.

TIA

I would say no.

Was just installing a hot shower and my T crumbled. Just replaced it, an finished the heat exchanger install, added some water, and she runs at the perfect temp.

Just a quick update here,

Just finished both my "T's". I'm at 130k and they really didn't look to bad, I could have waited but I was unsure of if/when they were ever changed by the PO so I'm glad I did.

My clamps like everyone else (4 of the 6) were facing the wrong way. My downward two were easy to move/ get off. What I did was remove the bottom clamp and hose, then was able to get enough leverage to twist the hose in a position to get to the other two. Worked out great. A little soap and water didn't hurt either.

All in all took maybe one hour, very easy job. It was more of a inconvenience with loosing a little coolant and having to refill/ clean up the mess.

If any of you are on the fence about this I say go for it!!

Change out the heater hoses, too?

How many of you have replaced the hoses while replacing the T's?

Those who did, did you lose much coolant? Any coolant that leaks out (if it's much) how are you properly supposed to dispose of it?

How many of you have replaced the hoses while replacing the T's?

Those who did, did you lose much coolant? Any coolant that leaks out (if it's much) how are you properly supposed to dispose of it?
Less than a quart.

If pouring it back into the radiator leaves you with excess, you can either pour it back in the recovery tank or take it to your quicky oil change place:flipoff2: for disposal.

Easiest way to drain it...get foot of 1/4-inch tubing, shove one end over the bottom of the radiator drain plug, stick the other one in a clean milk jug or similar...you won't lose a drop. After a few heat-cool cycles, the system seems to burp itself.

Steve

After a few heat-cool cycles, the system seems to burp itself.

^^ This.
Some cooling systems are a real pain [are you listening, BMW? Mr Mercedes?] but the Hundy is dead easy and effectively self-burping. I've had the radiator off several times, and the refill is simply that. No secret tricks required.

One of my t fittings went pop today! 165k, got a aftermarket replacement but going to do something more solid than plastic...

On my to-do list
Here are all the part numbers:
Pipes.jpg

Murphy's law got me on these. Ordered the T' last week but before they arrived my drivers side popped today. 190k on the clock and now the :princess: wants a new car. On a positive note i just got my hundy back!

Looking over these post trying to figure out what size brass barb fittings that I need. One says 1/2 and 5/8 fittings.

Could someone chime in and tell me what size (exactly) barb fittings do I need? I see the Toyota tees have the same part numbers for each one, so I would think they would be the same size.

Going to replace my plastic tees with metal.

Thanks

See post #17 of this thread. I have been running them for a while now - no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom