T-case rebuild question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm attempting to rebuild my tcase for the first time and lost track of how a couple parts are to be reassembled. :bang: Yes, I should have done a better job labeling and yes, I am a total newb. That being said, I have three questions;

Below, are two sensors off my t-case: one is a 4wd indicator and the other is hi/lo indicator. Does anyone know which is which?

20200724_100756.jpg

The funny looking washer shown below came off my transmission main shaft, is that where it's supposed to go? It does not show up in manual. Also, the bolt sitting next to the washer is the hi/lo shifter detent. What is that small detent ball on the right for? It was sitting behind the larger ball before i took it apart. Is there supposed to be two detent balls inside that bolt? The manual only shows one.

20200724_134031 (2).jpg

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Funny looking washer = oil slinger. This mounts behind the front output shaft seal and in front of the front nose cone bearing. Hopefully you haven't installed the seal/flange already. The manual does not show this, it was added later in the mid or late 80s. Parts diagrams also show its location. Blades of slinger face AWAY from bearing.

Only one ball per detent, and one spring per detent. Is there a check ball in each detent? They are the same size for both detents.

4wd indicator = top switch
hi/lo = bottom switch

I believe those two switches have different plugs and can only plug into their mates on the harness. No way to mix them up (me thinks)

Here’s a drawing showing where the oil slinger goes (the big washer w ears)

0814555B-CE7D-4317-8B40-0693B56E1D84.png

Last edited:
What I have recorded from tracing the wires on my 1987 Split Case is:

Transfer L4 Position Switch: two black wires with translucent connector (closed in low range)
Transfer Neutral Position Switch: One black wire with translucent connector (closed when not in Hi or Lo)
4WD Indicator Light Switch: One pink, one black wire with blue connector (closed when locked)

Funny looking washer = oil slinger. This mounts behind the front output shaft seal and in front of the front nose cone bearing. Hopefully you haven't installed the seal/flange already. The manual does not show this, it was added later in the mid or late 80s. Parts diagrams also show its location. Blades of slinger face AWAY from bearing.

Only one ball per detent, and one spring per detent. Is there a check ball in each detent? They are the same size for both detents.

4wd indicator = top switch
hi/lo = bottom switch
20200725_081628.jpg

Just to clarify, is this what you mean by facing away? Assuming that the oil slinger is a parabola, is the face considered the opening or the vertex? Also, does it go infront or behind the speedo gear and spacer?

Lastly, is there only one oil slinger? Or does the front output need one as well?

Thanks for the reply.

Look at the drawing above There's only one oil slinger and it fits around the front output shaft. The tabs angle more towards the front when installed.
The way you have it installed in your picture around the rear output shaft is wrong. No oil slinger back there.

Look at the drawing above There's only one oil slinger and it fits around the front output shaft. The tabs angle more towards the front when installed.
The way you have it installed in your picture around the rear output shaft is wrong. No oil slinger back there.
Is this slinger installed before you press the bearing into the front output? Does it live outside or inside the case?

Does it go back here between the case and bearing?
C2394D04-934D-4F77-A6C2-B662EA9A1517.jpeg

Or does it go onto the shaft before you press it into the bearing? It seems like it should be the former. Because the tabs seem to prevent the shaft from fitting all the way into place.
763D506C-7E13-4C7A-A523-B14D1D9D29A7.jpeg

I thought I did better with pictures and keeping track of parts...

Is this slinger installed before you press the bearing into the front output? Does it live outside or inside the case?

Does it go back here between the case and bearing? View attachment 2546460

Or does it go onto the shaft before you press it into the bearing? It seems like it should be the former. Because the tabs seem to prevent the shaft from fitting all the way into place.
View attachment 2546463

I thought I did better with pictures and keeping track of parts...
Slinger goes between the bearing and the seal/output flange. 'Slingers' point away from bearing.

EDIT: Don't fret, the FSM diagram doesn't show it as it was added mid 80s I believe. @orangefj45 knows when exactly. It's only in the parts diagrams from what I remember.

Slinger goes between the bearing and the seal/output flange. 'Slingers' pointed away from bearing.
So I missed it? It goes here under the seal? But it’s not necessary so I can keep going, correct?
ED6702D0-7672-48D7-AB2F-727F04B47B6D.jpeg

Si, it goes under the seal. If you're careful, you can pop the seal out with ease since its fresh. Your call.
I put rtv on the seal. I’ll leave it alone for now. I believe I may need to replace my flanges as I think they’re grooved past spec. I’ll run it like this until I can get new flanges and I’ll replqce them with the seals in the spring. I’ll pop that slinger in there at that point. Thanks for your help!

I had forgot to put my slinger in... almost just left it out but like a typical feline I had to try to pull the seal and blew it. Had to order a second and now the slinger is installed.

I had forgot to put my slinger in... almost just left it out but like a typical feline I had to try to pull the seal and blew it. Had to order a second and now the slinger is installed.
I’m already two days behind. I don’t want to spend anymore money or time. Told work I was having transmission problems.... I’ve been out for a week.... after our two week Christmas break... they’re gonna kill me... but I got a 5 speed and clean tcase. Worth it.

Yup you missed it. But the seals are cheap ...... we have them in stock. We also have new flanges.
Happy to help.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

I did the same ...missed the oil slinger. Had to call Georg for help. This topic deserves its own thread. It should be titled: "T-case rebuild: how to reinstall oil slinger ...omitted from FSM" and should be in the FAQs.

I forgot mine too. It's on my bench still. T-Case is in the truck. I felt so stupid. I even had a video I took during assembly to try and remind me. Failed on all accounts.

Click on this photo below to listen to my dumbass instruct myself about the "oil stirrer" and then not remember it at all. I assume the sky won't come crashing down if someone never put it back? Can I R&R the front output seal in the truck or am I just asking for trouble?

Untitled by Neeko, on Flickr

Classic example for me cleaning, prepping and then laying out all my parts before I start assembly.
I do this religiously.

Classic example for me cleaning, prepping and then laying out all my parts before I start assembly.
I do this religiously.
I try and then I realize I don’t have a real shop and it turns into a mess... lol You guys are the real inspiration here. You’ve taught us all so much. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom