T-case from H42 to H55? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my t-case needs to be rebuilt but I can get a t-case from a local Mud member which is coupled to an H42 tranny.
I need to know what it takes to mate the H42 t-case to my H55.

If they match then I guess I'll have a fun project to do over the next few evenings....

I've mated the two together before can't remember exacty which bits I exchanged but if you have both it can be done

Depends on the year of the donor tcase. 80-82 will not fit, bearing configuration of the mounting surface is not compatible.

83-87 will bolt on direct. If its from a spacer style H42 there may be an extra hole that needs to be plugged. Some tcases did not have the provision for the 5th gear oiler cup.

88-90 are also a direct bolt on. If you need to switch out vacuum to manual contols, its a simple parts swap. I am running the tcase from an FJ62 behind my H55. Just finished rebuilding mine Sunday.

Tony

Bearing in mind the other comments, what I would do is use the front half of the H55 case (so you retain the oiler needs of the 5th gear) and then swap the rest with the H42 parts. When I say "front half" that is the part that is bolted to the tranny, all else should be interchangeable. That will give you a lower low range than you had with the H55 transfer case.
If you are having oil leakage issues you'll still need to switch out the seal on the front half of the transfer case (the part of the H55 you need to keep).
I have done a similar thing with my transfer case behind the H55 in my BJ60.
There are differences in idler shaft sizes that you'll need to pay attention to but they should not affect your year.
I hope this helps.
I'm still awaiting my BJ60's arrival here in Africa. The container arrived the other day but now the customs hassles start.

Why don't we just go through your case and rebuild it. we could do as cruiser-guy says and use the lower range set from the 82/H42 case or the set out of my 83/H55 case, i boxed them up and put them in the attic.
We can work something out.
Who knows maybe all you need is bearings in yours, the kit is about $180.oo.
Vince B

Rebuilding a t-case and replacing a t-case are basically the same amount of work. You've GOT to tear it down either way.

But you need a press to rebuild.... But not that difficult and not very expensive, you will know what you have too. I would rebuild over replacing with an unknown.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom