3B head gasket from composite to MLS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought OEM MLS-type head gasket to my 1981 BJ42, part no. 11115-58110.

I assumed it’s just bolt-off and bolt-on. Then I found this from Radd Cruiser’s website: 3B & 13BT MLS Head Gasket 11115-58110-AM - https://www.shopraddcruisers.ca/mls-head-gasket-3b-13bt-11115-58110-am.html

MLS Cylinder Head Gasket - Toyota 3B, 13B, 13BT Multi-Layer Steel type (MLS) Sleeved Engines only​

Gasket thickness is approximately 1.52mm as supplied.

Note 1:
3B and 13BT engines did not originally come with MLS gaskets.

Note 2: Cylinder head and block surfaces need to be perfectly flat as per the service specifications in the Factory Service Manual. ** MLS Head Gaskets are only capable of sealing imperfections of up to about 0.002" across all 4 cylinders **

The cylinder liner protrusions must be even, and low enough to allow an MLS gasket to seal to the cylinder block and head with enough clamping force.

MLS cylinder head gaskets generally require the block and head surfaces to be finished to an RA or 20-30 to ensure proper sealing, though this can vary somewhat. RA is the "roughness average" of the surface finish and is measured using a special tool for this purpose.

An RA of 20-30 is quite smooth and much smoother than 3Bs were machined from the factory.

Talk to your engine machinist about using an MLS head gasket so your machine work is performed properly.

Toyota pn:
11115-58110
11115-58010 (old number)

Toyota - Japan

Note: There is a different head gasket part number for parent bore (engines that don't use a cylinder liner/sleeve) B & 3B series engines that were produced later. This gasket does not fit parent bore engines.

Well, how it is? Would Permatex Copper Spray Gasket work without machining the head/block surfaces? Any experience how your head gasket change is succeeded?

I have one but ended up not needing to put it on.

It appears to be great quality, and John himself told me that he has run it on his 13BT for years, and has had 0 issues. I think he even has his boost cranked up a bit too.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom