Sway bar question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've got a 99 LC with 244k on it...a couple months ago measured it and found I had about 1 1/2 inches of sag front and rear...replaced shocks all around with OEM...replaced rear springs with OME 2860's and cranked TB's...now I'm plus 1 inch above stock all around. Problem is that seems to be more initial body roll, like sway bars are coming into play late as they are now somewhat uncompressed at "rest". The links are too short to add additional spacers...thinking about cutting the rubber spacer that is above the sway bar in half(thickness-wise) and adding one of the halves below the sway bar to get then back to bit of compression at "rest".
Does this explanation make sense? And do any of you suspension gurus think it would help?

Have you simply replaced all swayer bushings yet? Always start with the simplest option, you shouldn't need any sway bar modifications at 1" higher than stock.

Yes...new bushings and links

Well I would look for other causes. Other work suspension bushings, etc. you honestly might just not be used to the feeling of the truck as you essentially experienced a 2.5" change in height. If you were truly sitting 1.5" below stock, you are probably close to the bumpstops so that could have controlled body roll more. Regardless of how well your suspension is maintained, a 2.5" change in height will feel notably different.

Well I would look for other causes. Other work suspension bushings, etc. you honestly might just not be used to the feeling of the truck as you essentially experienced a 2.5" change in height. If you were truly sitting 1.5" below stock, you are probably close to the bumpstops so that could have controlled body roll more. Regardless of how well your suspension is maintained, a 2.5" change in height will feel notably different.

I'm agree that being a little higher will increase body roll.. just wondering if it might be beneficial to use a small spacer to put the sway bars back to "stock loading" if that term makes any sense

I'm agree that being a little higher will increase body roll.. just wondering if it might be beneficial to use a small spacer to put the sway bars back to "stock loading" if that term makes any sense
It does, but I only really believe that is necessary once you get into the 2"+ lift range. And then correcting geometry has been reported to mostly improve ride quality over bumps. I haven't heard of it affecting the roll stiffness much. This is based off of RobRed's site and other posts. And modifying the bushings in the way your discussing sounds like the perfect recipe for fast worn bushings. They're designed with that thickness for a reason.

It does, but I only really believe that is necessary once you get into the 2"+ lift range. And then correcting geometry has been reported to mostly improve ride quality over bumps. I haven't heard of it affecting the roll stiffness much. This is based off of RobRed's site and other posts. And modifying the bushings in the way your discussing sounds like the perfect recipe for fast worn bushings. They're designed with that thickness for a reason.
Thx

Another good place to look is the rear control arm bushings and track bar bushings. If they're worn they can cause looseness in the rear end/body roll.

Another good place to look is the rear control arm bushings and track bar bushings. If they're worn they can cause looseness in the rear end/body roll.
I'll do that...like most of you I love an excuse to fiddle with my LC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom