Would worn rear sway bar bushings cause on "clunk" on droop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a clunk on the rear left, only when the suspension drops, even a small amount. Driving across a grassy lot or patchwork asphalt feels/sounds bad. It's gotten worse pretty quick, so my initial assumption was a loosening bolt somewhere.

I got underneath and grabbed everything and yanked looking for anything loose. The only noticeable thing is the sway bar where it mounts to the frame, it can move up and down 1/4"-1/2" of travel. It's like this on both sides, but I always feel/hear it on the left side (I haven't tested as passenger to see if it's because of my seating position).

Could worn sway bar mount bushings and subsequent movement cause a sturdy "clunk" when suspension drops?

I disconnected the sway bar, still clunked, so it wasn't that. I jacked up the rear to hopefully cause some slack in whatever's moving, got under there and gave everything I good shove yank and shake, and couldn't find anything loose.

I guess I'll do the tried and true method if keep driving until something gets obvious.

Do you have adjustable control arms by any chance? I had a loose lock nut on one of my uppers that let the johnny joint rotate into the bracket, causing a clunk like you describe. Could also be worn bushings on one of the five arms (2x upper, 2x lower, panhard).

Do you have adjustable control arms by any chance? I had a loose lock nut on one of my uppers that let the johnny joint rotate into the bracket, causing a clunk like you describe. Could also be worn bushings on one of the five arms (2x upper, 2x lower, panhard).
No adjustable control arms.

I couldn't feel any play in any of the arms, but I'll give it another try with a small pry bar (carefully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom