Rear sway bar problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
So it's taken a while for me to locate and identify a metallic clank coming from the rear of the vehicle. I believe it is the sway bar end links. I'm thinking it's possible they didn't get tightened down enough or all the way when we did my OME Lift. I know I can tighten the nut at the top of them squeezing the bushings tighter taking out the vertical play. But the bottom of the sway bar end link that goes through the sway bar also seems loose and I can actually move this sway bar about an eighth of an inch up and down without the end link moving and twist it a fair amount. Is there some sort of collar or bushing that mounts inside the sway bar itself or is that how it is designed?

I have a video for reference and when I'm using the rubber Hammer I am just very gently tapping it.

You need to replace the bushings. Here is a parts list. I replaced mine when I installed extended sway bar links.

94180410002$ 1.70Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Nut (Front)
90385110212$ 1.90Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Bushing (Rear)
STABILIZER LINK; STABILIZER REAR BAR.
90560102752$ 2.61PIECE; SPACER
FOR REAR STABILIZER BAR; STABILIZER BUSH.
90101101722$ 1.79Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Bolt (Front)

full

You need to replace the bushings. Here is a parts list. I replaced mine when I installed extended sway bar links.

94180410002$ 1.70Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Nut (Front)
90385110212$ 1.90Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Bushing (Rear)
STABILIZER LINK; STABILIZER REAR BAR.
90560102752$ 2.61PIECE; SPACER
FOR REAR STABILIZER BAR; STABILIZER BUSH.
90101101722$ 1.79Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Bolt (Front)

full
So do you insert the rubber into the sway bar then the collar into the rubber and then slide that up into the sway bar end link?

I would also suggest extended sway bar links.

The anti-sway bar is a torsion bar with a lever at each end. The levers when horizontal to the ground are most effective. Angled upwards 45 degrees, they are less effective. Visualize a bicycle crank, most pedal power when at the 90 degree position. Less at the 45 degree position. By lifting the suspension 2+ inches, you've changed the lever's angle.

There are reasons why sway bars are not set-up completely horizontal but that is a deeper discussion.

If your lifted over 20-21" from center hub to fender lip you will benefit from extended links. If you aren't having issued with vehicle body roll than don't worry about it.

You'll want to also learn how to browse parts diagrams . A sway bar has the same common parts whether it be on a land cruiser or just about any other vehicle. The rubber bits are affordable and very easy to replace, especially in the rear. Basic tool set and you can do it by yourself, I think they are all 14mm if I remember right, I just swapped mine for extended links.

Enter your vin and browse below
https://partsouq.com/

Replace the collar , bolt, nut, and rubber bits as mentioned above . Your already in there, spray it down with some PB blaster and remove it to inspect. Vehicle can be on the ground for this job.

I like to install the metal collar about half way into the rubber. Run a wire brush through the sway bar if it needs to be cleaned up at all. Then slide the rubber into the sway bar and tap the collar in place. This is a really super easy job and is good to learn some the basics of wrenching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom