New AC system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a bad habit of replacing a whole system or at least a large portion, when doing a single part. Need pads? Well, I guess it’s time for hoses and rotors too.

I set a rule for myself to be reasonable with this vehicle and mostly just replace parts as needed. To enjoy this vehicle and not have it turn into a revolving door of wrench time.

So when I’m replacing my compressor with a kit from rock auto, comes with some O rings, dryer, expansion valve. Is this the time to ignore my rule? Go ahead and do condenser and evaporator too? Or just stick to what’s broken. Haven’t taken apart yet to see if any sealant has been used.

Why are you changing the compressor? Did it self destruct?
If it created debris, that debris will flow into the condenser, if it passes through the condeser it will flow into the dryer/filter.
If the debris damages the dryer/filter, the desicant in the dryer will escape the filter and clog the expansion valve.
In that case I could see changing everything.

I went partial hog on the system and changed everything but the condenser, as there didn't apear to be any debris in that side, but I wasn't sure if the compressor was any good.
So..Compressor, dryer/filter, expansion valve, and evaporator and all the o-rings and all the foam around the evaporator.
@flintknapper turned me on to a product called Amazon product ASIN B008HOSQQQ for the o-ring lubrigant.

My system has been running like a champ for a couple years now.
Pay attention to the torque on the dryer manifold screw, its a LOT less than the other manifold screws...cost me a new dryer and a few cuss words.

There may not be a single answer here but I'd consider costs of parts and your time to do the evac/recharge work that will need to happen if you have to go back in to replace another system component. If the evap or condenser have issues in a year or two will you be ok with replacing the dryer and doing the evac/recharge again at that time? If you are going to do the work to get the system really cleaned out and resealed this time would it be worth it to go ahead and replace the extra parts?

When I updated the AC in my 80 a year ago parts prices were pretty low so I went ahead and replaced all but the lines essentially. This wasn't required but I didn't want corrosion on the evap or similar to cause me to need to deal with this again if I could help it. I also wanted to make sure all was totally cleaned out so that the new AC had the best chance at performing well for years to come. It blows very cold now :)

Last edited:
You at least need to add the dryer to the parts list. That should be replaced whenever the system is opened to the atmosphere for any amount of time. Rafael says so.

Oh and the dryer doesn't come with O-rings. No idea why. The dealer has them in stock; they're used on every Toyota.

When in doubt change it all.
I forgot, I also replaced my rubber hoses on the inlet and outlet sides of the compressor.
All in the parts bill wasn't bad, I think I was in the whole system plus a vacuum pump and guages for $1200.
And now I have a vacuum pump to play with. :)

Last edited:
I have a bad habit of replacing a whole system or at least a large portion, when doing a single part. Need pads? Well, I guess it’s time for hoses and rotors too.

I set a rule for myself to be reasonable with this vehicle and mostly just replace parts as needed. To enjoy this vehicle and not have it turn into a revolving door of wrench time.

So when I’m replacing my compressor with a kit from rock auto, comes with some O rings, dryer, expansion valve. Is this the time to ignore my rule? Go ahead and do condenser and evaporator too? Or just stick to what’s broken. Haven’t taken apart yet to see if any sealant has been used.
What happened to your compressor?

Mine blew a 25A fuse when I was driving on the express way back in November, leaving me without a gauge cluster. I pulled to the shoulder and opened the hood to see smoke coming out of my AC compressor. I had it towed to a mechanic which then cut the belt off and replaced the fuse. I just tabled that work until the start of summer and here I am about to tackle this job.

I had the same question as you. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom