Suspension Options for LX470 AHC Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My AHC went out a couple days ago, so I'm researching options for replacement. I like the ride quality of stock LC, and I don't take it off road much - just the occasional forest service road. I'm running 275/65-18 tires, so I don't need anything more than stock. Right now, I'm leaning toward the stock/light load kit from Cruiser Outfitters + torsion bars. But I also see this kit from American Air Suspension - not any info about this kit that I can find in the forum. Has anyone used the American Air Suspension kit?

I've also considered these below, but the price is right for the Cruiser Outfitters kit. Any reasons to spend a little more $$ on these?
  1. Cruiserparts.net kit
  2. Cruisercorps.com kit

I know this thread is older but I'm now in the same boat. Mine is a 98 LX. Didn't all the LXs come with AHC? If so has anyone used stock shocks and springs from a LC without too much fuss?

I know this thread is older but I'm now in the same boat. Mine is a 98 LX. Didn't all the LXs come with AHC? If so has anyone used stock shocks and springs from a LC without too much fuss?
Stock LC springs and shocks will bolt right up. The rear AHC shocks and nuts are a PITA to get out. Keep a fire extinguisher handy (shocks probably need to be cut), and 6+ hours of time. Front is much easier. The rear hydraulic lines are held in by a small bracket on the frame under the wheel well liner. You can then cut out part of it and drag the line out. Plenty of threads and YT videos

Stock LC springs and shocks will bolt right up. The rear AHC shocks and nuts are a PITA to get out. Keep a fire extinguisher handy (shocks probably need to be cut), and 6+ hours of time. Front is much easier. The rear hydraulic lines are held in by a small bracket on the frame under the wheel well liner. You can then cut out part of it and drag the line out. Plenty of threads and YT videos
Thanks beck. I am still on the fence trying to see if I can replace what's needed to keep the AHC. I've been reading the ABCs of AHC thread for an hour now. I definitely think the conversion would still be cheaper but I REALLY hate losing the smooth AHC ride. I also have a 99 Tacoma with a full OME kit and I appreciate the ride of the AHC over the ome night and day. I'm guessing the stock LC shocks and springs will fall somewhere in between. Thanks for the info on the LC parts👍

Do you know what your AHC problems are? Depending....it could be lots cheaper and easier to fix it than convert it.

Right now the rear end has just dropped to what seems like even lower than the L setting. Happened yesterday when I came out of Lowe's with a new shop vac to detail the interior. I had been noticing a harsher reaction to bumps from the rear recently and I kinda think one of the globes had already failed and yesterday the other one went out. I'm going to see what my local shop will charge me to replace em and refill the fluid. If it's too much I'm gonna bite the bullet and do it myself. I'd really like to replace the springs as well but think I'm gonna try to find some clean used (lower miles) springs and do later. Just spent 1100ish for ps pump, alternator, fan clutch and a few other odds and ends. Didn't need to spend another chunk right now.
I forgot to mention the rear bobs up and down like a hoopty now. Also there's very little to no rust underneath the truck.

Last edited:
Right now the rear end has just dropped to what seems like even lower than the L setting. Happened yesterday when I came out of Lowe's with a new shop vac to detail the interior. I had been noticing a harsher reaction to bumps from the rear recently and I kinda think one of the globes had already failed and yesterday the other one went out. I'm going to see what my local shop will charge me to replace em and refill the fluid. If it's too much I'm gonna bite the bullet and do it myself. I'd really like to replace the springs as well but think I'm gonna try to find some clean used (lower miles) springs and do later. Just spent 1100ish for ps pump, alternator, fan clutch and a few other odds and ends. Didn't need to spend another chunk right now.
I forgot to mention the rear bobs up and down like a hoopty now. Also there's very little to no rust underneath the truck.

Is the fluid in reservoir gone? Are "shocks" leaking? Could very well be in need of only two rear globes. That would be about $150 each from Pleiades and fluid and normally easy to do yourself.

Is the fluid in reservoir gone? Are "shocks" leaking? Could very well be in need of only two rear globes. That would be about $150 each from Pleiades and fluid and normally easy to do yourself.
Well I just went to re-inspect underneath looking at the shocks and globes. No leaks. So while sitting parked the reservoir was about 2 inches from the top. I started it and looked under the hood and noticed it was going down and realized it was pushing fluid back to the system. So front and rear had raised to N. I drove it about 5 miles and it was fine. Aren't the Pleiades the ones that dont last very long? I am thinking I will order the 2 for the rear and the fluid since it pretty dark and install myself but I seriously doubt it will stay like this until they arrive. From UK right?

Aren't the Pleiades the ones that dont last very long?

Not that I know of. I have had them for 1.5 years now with no problems at all. Highly recommend if needed. But you may need nothing.

I started it and looked under the hood and noticed it was going down and realized it was pushing fluid back to the system. So front and rear had raised to N.
Clarify please - the fluid in the reservoir was going down, or the truck was going down? Fluid was flowing which way, into the reservoir or out of the reservoir?

Do you have The Hundy Bible, aka Techstream?

Clarify please - the fluid in the reservoir was going down, or the truck was going down? Fluid was flowing which way, into the reservoir or out of the reservoir?

Do you have The Hundy Bible, aka Techstream?
Fluid was flowing out of the reservoir, it was going down in the tank as the truck was raising to N.

Not that I know of. I have had them for 1.5 years now with no problems at all. Highly recommend if needed. But you may need nothing.
Do you have a link Bull? At 331k I know it's just a matter of time. Thinking I'll go ahead and order them
And no I don't have a tech stream. Is it kinda like a Cobb Access Port. Diagnostic tool?

Sorry it was the B&B ones I was thinking about... so have you had any issues with the Pleiades ramangain?
Well I just emailed Pleiades in the UK. the Ebay link for the guy that was selling them has been removed. Ordered a 2.5g of fluid. Looking for a well made fan clutch wrench now

Last edited:
I've never changed my globes. My rig rides like buttah atm.

Get Techstram. It'll help you diagnose all sorts of stuff, especially AHC

Do you have a link Bull? At 331k I know it's just a matter of time. Thinking I'll go ahead and order them
And no I don't have a tech stream. Is it kinda like a Cobb Access Port. Diagnostic tool?
There's a thread on here called "Techstream in 5 Minutes". That will get you a complete and functional copy running on a laptop (windows) in about 5 minutes after download. For free. You just need the cable.

Techstream is sort of like Cobb Access Port, I think. Except it's the Toyota/Lexus diagnostics suite. The critical part for you is that it allows you to read all the AHC disgnostics. The system is typically very easy to troubleshoot once you have that tool running. Without Techstream or another diagnostic tool to read values, troubleshooting AHC is difficult and sometimes impossible.

Your critical diagnostic here is neutral pressures. I suspect your rear (and perhaps front) is out of spec. Fixing the front is free - you simply adjust the torsion bars. Quick and easy. The rear requires replacing the springs or adding a spacer. Relatively cheap and simple. Add globes and a fluid flush to that you've got a nice baseline on AHC.

I've never changed my globes. My rig rides like buttah atm.

Get Techstram. It'll help you diagnose all sorts of stuff, especially AHC
Oh ok. Thought I'd seen an old thread where you bought 4 but only needed 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom