Suspension "Feel" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for input on how the suspension of my stock 2019 LC200 is supposed to feel. Is it supposed to be firm/stiff, or a little loose and "bouncy". When driving on a flat, un-damaged road the ride is not as smooth as I would expect. Not quite like an unbalanced wheel, but not smooth like butter either. I pointed this out prior to delivery and the dealer balanced the wheels, but I can't help but feel there's something loose in the suspension.

Drive another one to compare. Only you can decide what is "normal" as your "kind of firm" may be somebody else's "bouncy"

What other vehicles are you comparing this to? Keep in mind that a lot of the competing vehicles on the market use much less robust suspension components and almost none have a solid axle in the rear. Both of these will negatively impact on-road harshness. The one thing these have going for them is the big sidewalls..

Otherwise, when you think about it for what it actually is.. basically a very heavy duty SUV/TRUCK.. I think they ride great. Especially when you consider how well they do off-road.

I agree with @ceb though.. compare to another. Toyota is pretty good about quality control and it is unlikely there is something wrong with yours, but comparing to another should expose any issues quickly.

Compared to my Tacoma and 4Runner, the ride is softer. It's difficult to test drive other 200s as the dealers in my area don't have inventory...I'll give it a shot.

I would expect a modern cruiser to feel softer than either of those.

I can't think of many things more subjective than how something rides or feels. The only way to determine if something is off is to drive another one, but it's EXTREMELY unlikely something is loose or wrong with the suspension. What car are you coming from? That's going to be very telling...

I bought my 200 when it was 5 years old. The suspension was cushy...and decidedly bouncy. Not bouncing ME...but bouncing around as it cycled over bumps, etc. so with it came that way...or the stock shocks were toast after only 48k miles of extremely light duty with the previous owner.

I personally do not like the stock suspension in any newish Cruiser I’ve been in. My 100 was only 3 years old when I bought it. It was squiclshy and comfy...but also too squishy and sloppy. When I put basic OMEs on my 100, it finally felt solid...like perfectly solid. Not harsh.

I personally think any new Cruiser deserve better suspension whether you wheel it or not...but just my preference and opinion of what “feels right.”
YMMV

As @mcgaskins said... Extremely subjective.
One guy’s version of “perfect” suspension is disliked by another.

I bought my 200 when it was 5 years old. The suspension was cushy...and decidedly bouncy. Not bouncing ME...but bouncing around as it cycled over bumps, etc. so with it came that way...or the stock shocks were toast after only 48k miles of extremely light duty with the previous owner.

I personally do not like the stock suspension in any newish Cruiser I’ve been in. My 100 was only 3 years old when I bought it. It was squiclshy and comfy...but also too squishy and sloppy. When I put basic OMEs on my 100, it finally felt solid...like perfectly solid. Not harsh.

I personally think any new Cruiser deserve better suspension whether you wheel it or not...but just my preference and opinion of what “feels right.”
YMMV

This is kind of where I'm at. I'm coming from a Tacoma, but I've owned a Range Rover, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee, and 4Runner. Compared to all those, the 200 is (to use your term) "squishy and sloppy". I can live with it until funds allow a suspension upgrade. . .I just wanted to make sure it was standard for the marque.

Expect it to be on the soft side and experiencing a nose dive when you break is normal per the rake height.

This is kind of where I'm at. I'm coming from a Tacoma, but I've owned a Range Rover, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee, and 4Runner. Compared to all those, the 200 is (to use your term) "squishy and sloppy". I can live with it until funds allow a suspension upgrade. . .I just wanted to make sure it was standard for the marque.

If you don’t want to “lift” it...you can byt Old Man Emu (OME is now owned by ARB) basic shocks and springs for barely over $1k. If you think you’ll want some lift, add upper control arms and it’s around $1500+ install. Will make a massive difference to someone who thinks stock feels sloppy.

If you don’t want to “lift” it...you can byt Old Man Emu (OME is now owned by ARB) basic shocks and springs for barely over $1k. If you think you’ll want some lift, add upper control arms and it’s around $1500+ install. Will make a massive difference to someone who thinks stock feels sloppy.
I've always drooled over the BP-51s (more than $1500, I know). . .
Put a set of Bilstein 6112/5160 on the 4Runner and it made a world of difference in firmness and nose dive.

Compared to my Tundra it felt softer with more body roll but I was expecting that. For being as heavy as it is I think it’s great but do plan to upgrade down the road.

I've always drooled over the BP-51s (more than $1500, I know). . .
Put a set of Bilstein 6112/5160 on the 4Runner and it made a world of difference in firmness and nose dive.

Ya. I have BP 51’s, but for normal driving where you aren’t taking big hits (BPs are bypass shocks, do excel at allowing big hits), standard OME and appropriately rated springs are going to get you a similar feel. The BP adds adjustability, but that comes more into play off road. Even with BPs, the ride is still hugely changed by spring weight selection in the rear and preload of the spring in front. With proper spring weight selection on a standard set up...you can get a similar on-road feel for a lot less $$ than BPs. I was happy with mine standard OMEs on my 100, and it formed up day-to-driving very well. I am wheeling harder than those days, though, and fully utilize the bypass on my BPs now. Most really don’t need them IMHO.

Ya. I have BP 51’s, but for normal driving where you aren’t taking big hits (BPs are bypass shocks, do excel at allowing big hits), standard OME and appropriately rated springs are going to get you a similar feel. The BP adds adjustability, but that comes more into play off road. Even with BPs, the ride is still hugely changed by spring weight selection in the rear and preload of the spring in front. With proper spring weight selection on a standard set up...you can get a similar on-road feel for a lot less $$ than BPs. I was happy with mine standard OMEs on my 100, and it formed up day-to-driving very well. I am wheeling harder than those days, though, and fully utilize the bypass on my BPs now. Most really don’t need them IMHO.
When I had BP-51s and 2722 coil springs the truck handling was much improved and less body roll and almost no nose dive when breaking and the ride was stiffer (less bouncy over terrain). The downside to that was MPG was bad. My avg was 11.8-12.3 when I went back to OEM suspension MPG was back up to 13.8-14. So what suites your needs and go with that.

Ya. I have BP 51’s, but for normal driving where you aren’t taking big hits (BPs are bypass shocks, do excel at allowing big hits), standard OME and appropriately rated springs are going to get you a similar feel. The BP adds adjustability, but that comes more into play off road. Even with BPs, the ride is still hugely changed by spring weight selection in the rear and preload of the spring in front. With proper spring weight selection on a standard set up...you can get a similar on-road feel for a lot less $$ than BPs. I was happy with mine standard OMEs on my 100, and it formed up day-to-driving very well. I am wheeling harder than those days, though, and fully utilize

Thanks for the comparison comments, it helps me as I am looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2013. I also feel that the stock suspension is a little squishy for my taste. I have been looking hard at the BP51’s, but my use is mostly on road and then off road for work or recreation. Hard core wheeling is not what I’m looking for. I was thinking that it may be possible to get the same feel from the standard OME with the appropriate springs, but the BP 51 still appeals, although it may be overkill, since it appears to be the best option and within budget. Any significant downsides to the BP51? I have read they need to be rebuilt 50K or so, but not sure what that entails or compares to replacing the standard OME at a similar interval...

I remember seeing a thread that bilstein was working on some options for the 200. Did this go anywhere? I’ve loved the bilsteins I’ve put on any other car.

Thanks for the comparison comments, it helps me as I am looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2013. I also feel that the stock suspension is a little squishy for my taste. I have been looking hard at the BP51’s, but my use is mostly on road and then off road for work or recreation. Hard core wheeling is not what I’m looking for. I was thinking that it may be possible to get the same feel from the standard OME with the appropriate springs, but the BP 51 still appeals, although it may be overkill, since it appears to be the best option and within budget. Any significant downsides to the BP51? I have read they need to be rebuilt 50K or so, but not sure what that entails or compares to replacing the standard OME at a similar interval...

PS. I don’t mean to discount the BP setup. I have zero complaints about mine except that the adjustment rings are a pain to turn. :) They are great performers, especially at handling big hits on one side at speed...in a turn...in dirt. They can handle those while still handling the small stuff nicely...and without fading during long desert runs (Baja was a blast).

But for street use? You aren’t dealing with big hits, while handling smaller hits is where the bypass really is killer.

The bypass gives the oil a larger pathway when needed for massive compression at speed while still dampening smaller stuff the normal way. pretty neat design and different from system with just the extra reservoir.
Nothing is perfect, and I’m on my 6th rear spring weight change as I’ve done various mods changing vehicle weight...but rear spring selection is always a thing. My BP-51 front coil springs stay put, since they preload adjustment rather than spring swaps.

Talk to a shop you trust. If you don’t know a good one...deal with Slee...Cruiser Outfitters...BudBuilt...Valley Hybrids or Trail Tailor. They all know cruisers and can help guide you to the right setup for what you are after.

If anyone (like me) tells you they have THE answer that YOU will be happy with before asking you a lot of questions...skip them & move on to a shop that listens to what YOU are after.

None of the above shops with feed you bull or push you into something. They are all good folks. But even options the best out there might take further tweaking til just right for you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom