Suspension Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree with @JunkCrzr89, can't beat the tokico OEM shocks.

Personally, I have never ridden in a lifted 100 that felt great... that front suspension is a killer and no matter what you do, you are fighting geometry issues and very little travel. I wouldn't go spending big money on front shocks.

Crank Tbars, tokico shocks all around, ome 2.5" lift mediums (I forget the number 865's?) in the back is going to be the best bang for your buck.

that front suspension is a killer and no matter what you do, you are fighting geometry issues and very little travel. I wouldn't go spending big money on front shocks.
💯

Update, I ordered the Wheeler bump stops and probably should’ve done a pre-purchase inspection. Those things are HUGE! Even with the TB cranked, I’m resting in the front ones/LCA with all fours on the ground (not pictured).

I went through all the other forum posts about installing just the back ones (my bad for not checking that). Is the consensus to ONLY install the rear bumps and keep the front bump stops stock?

If I’m leaving the suspension as is with TB slightly cranked and the rest stock, am I limiting an already “short travel” front end even more? I didn’t find any discussion about the Wheeler compound and exactly how much compression it allows. OEM shocks are on their way in hopes to eliminate some of the current nose dive and side to side sway on the HWY. I’ll make sure to replace the sway bar rubber. The mechanics said the cracking is fine given our heat but I’d rather change while I’m in there.

View attachment 2932536

View attachment 2932537

View attachment 2932538

View attachment 2932539

View attachment 2932540

Here's a fairly detailed thread about Wheelers under compression. I would try them out to see how it handles before taking any action to change the installation.

Out of curiosity, what air bag system did you go with? I’ve heard the LC doesn’t work well with air bags due to rear flex and ripping. Anyone have experience with that?
Air Lift. We bought our Land Cruiser for family trips and very light offroading, not harder stuff, so I don't really flex it out, but I also haven't had a problem with ripping. Installing it, I could see it ripping on the hole at the bottom if you don't enlarge it enough for the bag to move around a little bit inside the spring, and still not contact the edge of the hole.

For what it sounds like you're after, a super expensive kit from the likes of Slee or Icon seem to fit a profile you may not be after. Having said that I went full retard and got the Stage 3 Icon system and have been running it for about a year now. For comparison sake I had a Tundra with a Stage 1 system and an 80 with an OME system that I upgraded to an Icon Stage 1. Here are my impressions since you asked about Icons:

- OME are probably more "durable" than the Icons or Slee but they were meant for a different purpose so I don't feel like they're comparable. Given the choice I would pick OEM Tokico shocks all day over OME at this point.
- I tow frequently with my truck, specifically a 2k lb camping trailer. With the OEM shocks and even the stage 1 Icons the truck would wallow like a Buick on the highway. I am not a fan of that sort of ride but it wasn't until I got the adjustable rears (Icon) that the truck felt completely planted.
- There is a thread somewhere if you search about the best setup for these trucks. Anyways he (guy from MetalTech) actually recommends adjustable shocks for the rear and regular shocks for the front. reason being is increased loads and in my case towing.
- Lastly I like to go FAST. I clearly picked the wrong truck for the job, but this is where the Icons shine. I can barrel down any kind surface and the truck rides great, even better it feels like when you push it harder. I feel like this is the best application for the shocks.

Are they worth the price and kick in the pants? User discretion. I am happy with them and I have a spare set of OEM's on hand for when they need to get rebuilt.

The wallowing you describe is also what I had going on. The air bags eliminated that for me. They are infinitely adjustable, but don’t do anything for damping. For me, the factory shocks with airbags are fine. Just another option…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom