Survival Knife? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a fun thread! Here are a couple of my favorites- a Busse Pork Shank and a SAR 6. I rehandled them years ago (sorry Jerry, they were ugly!) and made some kydex sheaths. Never liked the kydex. Finally got around to sewing up some new sheaths. A nice break from building drawers...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great thread!

Aside from the Ka-Bar USMC I'd gotten for Christmas from my dad, these two were the most prized possessions of 12-year-old me:

Frost Cutlery Undertaker:
$_1.JPG

Obligatory Rambo III:
Rambo-III-Knife-with-Hibben-sheath-1.jpg

@Mace I've seen them on many different sites but haven't bought one yet. I like the carbon blade idea but I'm not sure I'd carry and use a blade that doesn't lock anymore - I've grown attached to my fingers.;) I still want one, though.

how thick is that blade? Taking orders?

Now I have some work to do I guess :)View attachment 1005117
$20 in material and I'll have my old knife back. :)

It may not make sense, but 99% of the stuff I do doesn't. The main reason I want to resurrect it is because I've had it since 1987 and I feel it deserves to survive. ;)

Finally!! got the handle on. I may still do some more work shaping it but it's a good start at least.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Self taught with episodes of "Forged in Fire" lol..

The sheath is next. Gonna be simple and functional. A buddy wants to make one out of kydex, but I'm making a leather one wo see how it turns out.

Found this old thing years ago when my grandmother passed away.

63A9BFBE-086B-4729-96E7-560E61DB4E1D.png

I have a Fallkniven F1 knife with the G3 steel that I carry with me at all times when I am in the woods camping, hunting or hiking. The Fallkniven F1 knife is issued to the Swiss pilots as their survival knife. They offer the F1 in V10, G3 or cos steel. The knife blade is laminated, it has a full tang and the spine thickness is around 3/16ths of an inch. Overall to me it is just the right size for a good all around knife. It is large enough to baton wood with it but still small enough to carve, do detail cutting or even cook with it. It is extremely well made and the quality craftsmanship shows. https://www.fallkniven.com/en/knife/f1

I had a custom Kydex sheath made for it to keep a few survival items with the F1 at all times. The knife is internally secured in the sheath and moulded to specifically fit the F1 so no straps or snaps are needed on the sheath. I have everything dummycorded so nothing can be lost. The sheath can be worn horizontally or vertically and is adaptable to many different ways of wearing it. The sheath has a Tek Lok connector on it for quick secure attachment and I traditionally wear it horizontally on the front of my belt. It makes it easy to get to and it doesn't limit your range of motion.

I have a large ferroceium rod from FireSteel.com stored on the outside of the sheath. I also have a magnesium block with a ferroceium rod and striker inside the Maxpedition pouch. Also inside the pouch is a Fallkniven dc4 ceramic and diamond sharpening stone. I have two extra lithium AAA batteries stored in the pouch as spare batteries for the Fenix EO1 mini flashlight stored outside the pouch.

Behind the mounted pouch I have 3 different sized sewing awls and 10 different sized fishing hooks sealed in a reinforced vacuum sealed bag. I also have 15 yards of 100 lbs Spectrabraid fishing line for fishing or sewing repairs wrapped around the back of the sheath. I atteched Tritium vial to the outside of the sheath to make it easy to locate in the dark.

I have been looking for a small accurate compass to attach to the sheath that was quality and accurate. I finally found the Suunto that is liquid filled and pretty accurate for a small compass. It is definitely better than being without any compass at all.

Overall I think that it is a pretty comprehensive quality basic knife survival system for such a small light package.

20180930_012658.jpg

20180930_012201.jpg

20180930_011221.jpg

20190227_223505.jpg

Last edited:
@73fj40lc Maybe this is a question from ignorance, but why carry both a ferro and a magnesium starter? Wouldn't a small BIC lighter be a more versatile backup to one of them? I'm not looking to start any debates, I really just want to know if there's something I'm not catching.

Butane lighters are great but they have limits. They have issues when it's very cold and when they're wet. My biggest problem is "accidental discharge". I carry a Bic Mini in my pocket everywhere all the time. Every once in awhile I find it totally empty. I guess the contents of the pocket shifts around just right when I'm sitting and presses the little button.

Having said that I might call the mag block on top of the ferro rod as redundant. But that's a very nice setup. A Fenix E01 with 3 lithium batteries will provide about a month of continuous light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom