Survival Knife? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those stitches sure look familiar. I have a couple of scars in that exact same location. If you cut something while holding it then that seems to be the magic spot to knick yourself. Did the Kabar give you those stitches?

Yes, it was the Ka Bar that made the cut. I was swinging the knife to hit some zip ties hard to cut them while holding a piece of wood. Mid-swing I realized my mistake in how I was holding the wood, but too late to stop. Whack, cut, bleed. While getting stitched the ER doc told a similar story of cutting himself with a Ka Bar.

Old thread but I’ll play. Wouldn’t call this a survival style knife but it’s a damn fine piece.
One of our close buddies gave these to our group of friends.

Story is…his sister and bro in-law live in Alaska and made these knives from scratch. The blades are said to be from old sawmill blades, the handles are elk horn.
None of these knives are the same, some blades had heavy rust pitting and looked incredible. Mine is only lightly pitted but still has lots of imperfections. All the handles had variations too, I wanted a prettier blade but chose this one because it just fit my hand so damn well.

It’s very thin steel but sharpens and holds a wicked edge. I love it, rarely use my other blades anymore.

27A61160-10EE-4FD9-AC18-FCCF3DB2247F.jpeg

The blade shape makes a good skinner and general purpose cutter…

0AEC2CA9-7CD8-4AE8-91C7-6295C4B62463.jpeg

Skinny steel…
9299D4CC-D61C-4B1B-9EF9-84C0A8D558FF.jpeg

Old Boy Scout/Army pocket knives are good all-round knives. In the 4Runner, I keep a Boker skinner for fishing, etc. useful as a camp knife but not really a "survival knife". My EDC is a CRKT folding Tanto with serrated edge. Larger version in the "Recovery Bag".

EBE7AEB7-5F61-4CC9-9D86-F0B7D16BE3E1.jpeg

ESEE 4, designed by Randall’s Adventure Training. No hollow handles, no ridiculous saw teeth, but a knife designed by people who have “been there, done that.”
If it breaks for any reason they’ll replace it.

View attachment 2824505
ESEE 4, designed by Randall’s Adventure Training. No hollow handles, no ridiculous saw teeth, but a knife designed by people who have “been there, done that.”
If it breaks for any reason they’ll replace it.
ESEE are the deal. My daughter has a 4, it is her go to for everything but fishing (where she carries a mora). This fall I just got her a 2nd 4, the new one in s35vn, she broke down 2 caribou and a goat without resharpening. I have a 3 that is in my day pack.

Since I mentioned my daughter here is what she regularly uses and carries. Top to bottom
Victorinox climber (stays in MTB pack)
Victorinox mini champ - didn’t like the pen so she is making her own scales. Awesome little tool, I have on as well
Mora ProS - this is one of the best outdoor knives made she carries it all the time and beats it to death, can be purchased for <$13
ESEE 4 s35VN - used this one hunting the 3D handle is small, fits her hand well and it is usually very wet during fall hunting, why I got her the s35 not the carbon.
Benchmade Bugout - first knife she purchased on her own, got it almost as soon as it was released, carries it most days ever sense.
Buck Budgie - wanted something robust but smaller then the bugout. She likes it
Filet knife - my teens filet a ton of fish, hang out at the filet tables and clean catches for cash all summer. Her favorite is the Buck abyss, she got one 2 years ago, I just got this one for me this fall as it is a really good filet knife.
Floating mora - her go to fishing knife, has lost a few proS over the years so I got her this one that floats.

CA172B97-D850-4D8F-B3F1-DD276FC18B78.jpeg

Last edited:
Her me is my sons regularly quiver. Top to bottom:
Victorinox flex boning - since they filet a ton of salmon, halibut, rock fish, cod,…. His favorite filet knife is a boning knife, he has re-profiled the tip to make it sharper
German surplus navy knife - he picked this up at a garage sale years ago. Uses it for upland bird and duck hunting
Spyderco tenacious - he has had this for years, made in China but a solid knife.
Spyderco para 3 - bought this one last summer as he really liked my Para 2 lock back and felt like he needed a USA spyde
Leatherman original super - took this from me, it’s ~30 years old, stays in his MTB pack
Marttiini- his go to all purpose outdoor knife, he prefers it to Mora for a solid inexpensive scandi, this one is the nicer (less used) of the two he has.

16FA49D9-B49F-4562-9293-2F1E1005698D.jpeg

Hands down ESEE for a goto survival knife. I have the ESEE 6 and its amazing. Feels great and is tough with the lifetime warranty. I was deciding between the 5 and 6 but the 5 was just too much for my needs. Plan on getting a 4 at some point.
I used this knife for a lot of batoning and the blade is still sharp and strait as new.

20210813_125259.jpg

In a pinch I could use the 6 for food but the Morakniv Companion is my goto for that.. They are less than $20 on amazon and ridiculously sharp. Stays in the kitchen when I am not camping.

EDC. Benchmade AFO II.
20211106_101357.jpg

Hands down ESEE for a goto survival knife. I have the ESEE 6 and its amazing. Feels great and is tough with the lifetime warranty. I was deciding between the 5 and 6 but the 5 was just too much for my needs. Plan on getting a 4 at some point.
I used this knife for a lot of batoning and the blade is still sharp and strait as new.

View attachment 2831559

In a pinch I could use the 6 for food but the Morakniv Companion is my goto for that.. They are less than $20 on amazon and ridiculously sharp. Stays in the kitchen when I am not camping.

EDC. Benchmade AFO II.
View attachment 2831567

I like the look of that ESEE, no moving parts and Mud approved. I'm gonna check those out.

I like the look of that ESEE, no moving parts and Mud approved. I'm gonna check those out.

Its hard to beat.. yea little expensive, but with a no questions asked lifetime warranty its worth every penny. These guys stamd behind thier products which are made in the USA.

Oh yea you guys are a bad influence.. Added a ESEE 4 to the collection.
However I will be returning both of these for another color.. knife feels great in the hand though..

20211108_194050.jpg

My favorite knife

Randall made model #12-6 little bear Bowie
20210221_115718.jpg

20210101_184521.jpg

20200506_191131.jpg

0001341_randall-made-12-6-little-bear-bowie_300.jpeg

Not a cheap knife but I have had it for over 10 years. It's holds a better edge than any of the zero tolerance or Benchmade super steel knives I have owned and it is easier to resharpen when I do manage to dull it up.

I have used this knife to baton some pretty thick trees, spilt firewood, work on the cruiser, and handle a few mule deer and elk along with countless other tasks.

You just can't beat hand forged high carbon tool steel!!!!

Its hard to beat.. yea little expensive, but with a no questions asked lifetime warranty its worth every penny. These guys stamd behind thier products which are made in the USA.

Oh yea you guys are a bad influence.. Added a ESEE 4 to the collection.
However I will be returning both of these for another color.. knife feels great in the hand though..

View attachment 2834060
I spent some time on their website last night. Lots of options and pricing levels to choose from, almost too much.

Question on the handles...are they a softer rubbery type material, or a hard grippy type surface?

Edit: Where is the best place to buy these, do they sell direct?

I spent some time on their website last night. Lots of options and pricing levels to choose from, almost too much.

Question on the handles...are they a softer rubbery type material, or a hard grippy type surface?

Tell me about it.. i like the g10 over micarta but its all personal preferce. I think the g10 has more of the "rubber" feel over micarta. Micarta has a very textured feel.

Check out the knife connection. They have an ESEE knife builder with G10 and micarta handles. Or if you have amazon prime order one of each and return what you don't like. Thats what i am in the middle of doing right now.

@Skniper missed that last part of your post. I bought most my stuff from the knife connection. But i am in a pinch and going camping this weekend so i used amazon for my resent purchase. Cost more but same day delivery. Atleast its from the esee store.

I feel like The micarta (although less countored) are gripper then the 3D ones. I feel like the 3D are more comfortable to hold. My daughter prefers the 3D I prefer the Micarta. Order both and send one back?

Here are some side by side pictures

image.jpg

image.jpg

My favorite knife

Randall made model #12-6 little bear Bowie
View attachment 2834087
View attachment 2834088

View attachment 2834092
View attachment 2834090
Not a cheap knife but I have had it for over 10 years. It's holds a better edge than any of the zero tolerance or Benchmade super steel knives I have owned and it is easier to resharpen when I do manage to dull it up.

I have used this knife to baton some pretty thick trees, spilt firewood, work on the cruiser, and handle a few mule deer and elk along with countless other tasks.

You just can't beat hand forged high carbon tool steel!!!!
This company has a tremendous history and reputation. Two words: “hand forged”.

This company has a tremendous history and reputation. Two words: “hand forged”.

Yep, my dad carried a model 1-7 for multiple deployments all over the world.

I have his 1-7 and it is an awesome knife that is still 100% I don't use it often because of the sentimental value.

20200517_114853.jpg

20200517_151142.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom