Survival Knife? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I was about 7 years old (early 1960s), I wanted a knife. My dad didn't want me to have one because he felt I was a wreckless kid which was probably true. A carnival came to down and I used the "crane" machine to pick out a real nice pocket knife and carried it every day without incident. The next year I started deer hunting and my dad gave up and bought me a really nice fixed blade knife to deer hunt with. I now have about 180 knives. I have all of the Rambo knives and the huge knife / machete they used in the predator movie. I have bayonets from WWI and WWII, the Vietnam War as well as current bayonets. I have knives from most of the major knife makers including pin knives and most of the Swiss Army models. So, yeah, I am a knife junky. I have many "custom" knives as well.

Key considerations when buying a knife you actually intend to use:
  • Is it made from top materials and constructed well?
  • Is it comfortable in your hand? - Could you use it for hours non-stop without starting to dislike it?
  • Can you hold onto it when it is covered in blood? - this may be my top one because a knife should not facilitate you cutting yourself because it is slippery. Cutting yourself badly in the middle of nowhere could be your final act. Hard, rubbery handles with texture are practical because they are the easiest to hold onto when bloody.
  • Is it shaped in a useful fashion? - can you easily skin an animal or filet a fish with it without requiring contortions?
  • Is it an appropriate size? - While they look good in movies, huge knives aren't actually useful in real life.
The best knives ever built are being produced today so there is a wide field of choice. If you want a knife that will last the rest of your life and hold a really good edge, I would recommend a Benchmade. In my opinion, they are the best made "mass-produced" knives available. I would recommend the Nimravis or Bushcraft for a fixed blade. Indestructible with very good steel, comfortable in the hand and not too slippery when wet.

Remember when Tom Hanks was stranded on that island and had to try and knock his tooth out with an ice skate? If he had ANY knife with him, it could have gone better. That being said, I always carry either of these.

20190629_182642.jpg

I want to play lol. I love knives and have too many but here are some of my favorites.
15619481946463349901337751140078.jpg

Top left is a knife I found under the floor boards of a cabin that I helped some friends tear down. I took it to a couple antique dealers who both said it was probably made in the 1890's to 1920's because the handle slabs are made of celluloid. It was all rusted, the brass was green and fuzzy, and the sheath was moldy but I was able to get it nicely restored. Obviously I don't actually use it for much in the field but it is an awesome old knife. 2nd on the left is my Benchmade 201 snody design w/ d2 steel. I absolutely love this knife and it is my go to hunting knife. It has taken care of 11 big game critters (elk, mule deer, and one antelope) in the last 12 years. It holds such a great edge and I don't even have to touch it up once to get through an entire elk. Bottom left is my dad's old buck 107 that I inherited and it is my go to small game, fish, and backpacking knife. It is the perfect blade shape for birds and trout and super thin and light. Top right is my BSA Camillus woodsman that my grandpa gave me when I got my eagle scout. I don't use it much especially now that the BSA is no more, but it is a really cool knife and the saw does work great. Next down is an old Kershaw 1040 lock back made in Portland back in the 60's. It is a special edition snap on version #315 out of 500 that a customer traded in on some tools when I was working for snap on and I just love the feel and uniqueness of this little lock back folder. The next three are my favorite edc knives. The butterfly knife is a Benchmade and it is so light and the d2 steel just holds such a great edge. I used this knife a lot when I was working jobs that required opening lots of boxes and mail. After that is a Kershaw zt 0452cf with s35vn steel which I like almost as much as d2. This knife is great because it offers a large blade with a great blade shape for multipurpose use and it weighs very little due to the carbon fiber and titanium handles, I can hardly feel it in my pocket. I consider this my self defense edc knife. And last but not least is the Kershaw leek. This little guy just disappears in the pocket and I don't even feel it and it is just a great utility knife for all kinds of work except for hunting.

I think it's funny how many are so quick to speak the tired old "Big knife/truck, must be compensating for something". Fact is, a large knife can do everything a small knife can and much more. I grew up using a large blades. Skinning a rabbit is as easy as a slice across the back near the hind quarters and you just peel them out. For delicate work you pinch up near the tip and lay the bulk of the blade across your forearm. I've used mine to take down trees, plane wood, and build furniture while abroad and other tools were unavailable. Here's a pic of some of my knives. Obviously you'll notice I favor my trusty old Busse Battle Mistress. Not a knife snob though. One of my favorites is a now beat to hell carbon steel bowie made in Pakistan I paid $10 for many years ago.
20181103_230053-1.jpg

My children take after their father in their affinity for weapons . My beloved and incredibly understanding wife will occasionally fuss about picking up spears and tomahawks in the yard rather than nerf balls, lol.
20181006_154725.jpg

20181101_151202-1.jpg

The benchmade looks like a great blade.
How do you find the handle?
Looks very slender for someone with big mitts

The bushcraft has a large, thick handle.

That's a proper bushcraft knife. I have a Ka-Bar BK2 with Knife Connection micarta handles that is a similar design and love it. I very much want and could really use a Tops El Chete.
Asking for this for my birthday at the end of the month...the more I use these TOPs knives, the more I like them.

Amazon product ASIN B007FUP44U

The benchmade looks like a great blade.
How do you find the handle?
Looks very slender for someone with big mitts
Part of what makes the Benchmade 201 my favorite hunting knife is the handle. It fits my hands just perfect and I wear xl gloves. It has just the right about of curve and the choil gives it lots of dexterity. I really do think it is the perfect knife for big game. For Bushcraft I would use something else....

Going through my father's things. He entered the Army in 1959; not sure when he acquired this particular folder which it is probably one of the true original "survival" knives ever issued to troops (your thoughts may vary - bring on the discussion!). The next is an M3 in beautiful condition that just happened to be in his collection (seriously, hundreds of knives and bayonets).

IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7145.jpg

IMG_7147.jpg

$300-$1500 is the going rate on eBay

Just got one of these Benchmade Bushcrafter knives. Always wanted a Benchmade and really only need one fixed blade knife. Had my eye on it for a couple years, but seemed kinda frivolous to spend $200 on a knife. Very nice quality and the last fixed blade I will need to purchase so I went ahead and bought it...sure is purdy.
20200122_195157.jpg

Probably the best made, most functional mass-produced knife on the market. Congratulations! I'd like to get one too and probably will.

My "survival knife" is my Randall #1 Fighter or my Randall Yukon Skinner. Have a Leatherman in the 4Runner!

My knife is also a Benchmade, but I have the Leuku in CPM3V. Originally I wanted a wood handle, but this thing is COMFY and really grippy, too. I love it. Excellent bushcraft knife, and one of the best deals if you want that particular steel (really, really tough, rust resistant, holds an edge well).

6E5F99FC-4882-4E07-9A66-8379C6DF10D1.jpeg

I have a couple of Benchcraft knives. Top Quality!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom