surf not starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all I have a 92 surf 2lte. I'm trying to figure out why when i go to start it'll just turn over and not start. I have to pump the pedal a bunch for it to start. I have checked that the injectors are getting fuel and they are. Also the injectors have been replaced. The glow plugs have been replaced. Fuel pump was resealed as it was leaking and fuel filter was replaced. Everything is as it should be. The filter pump is stiff. I read somewhere to try starting with the fuel cap off and this made no difference. I have to go through a few key turns and pedal pump sessions to get the engine to turn over and when i do it spits and sputters for like 30 or 40 seconds before it evens out. White smoke is puffing like crazy. The head I know has a history of failing and it is the original head. I checked the fuses for the... glow plugs.. does that make sense? The ones on the right of the engine bay? They are all good but there is an arc strike mark on the fuse and connector at one of the pins. I dunno if thats a factor or not but I can't see it causing all the problems.

I'm not well versed mechanically but thank you for making it this far. The engine is stock and I've been able to do a little work myself but mostly easy stuff. I also noticed the coolant needs to be topped up a fair bit. I'm guessing thats what the white smoke is about. Guess I'll have to find a new head. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have to go through a few key turns and pedal pump sessions to get the engine to turn over and when i do it spits and sputters for like 30 or 40 seconds before it evens out. White smoke is puffing like crazy

This can be a sign of low compression on one or more cylinders. Diesel engines with poor compression can not squeeze the air in the cylinder enough for it to heat the fuel to start smoothly.
Usually you get a mixture of white and grey smoke.
As the engine warms up, the bad cylinders begin to fire as the piston expands
Try another cycle of glowing. A bad glowplug will make the compression symptoms worse.

Can you smell coolant?

This can be a sign of low compression on one or more cylinders. Diesel engines with poor compression can not squeeze the air in the cylinder enough for it to heat the fuel to start smoothly.
Usually you get a mixture of white and grey smoke.
As the engine warms up, the bad cylinders begin to fire as the piston expands
Try another cycle of glowing. A bad glowplug will make the compression symptoms worse.

Can you smell coolant?
Can't smell coolant. I've had to glow plug a few times in a row before I'm able to start and i still have to pump the pedal to get it running. I have a feeling I may need to tear down the engine. I'll look up how to test compression and see where that's all sitting at. Thank you

It might have new glow plugs.. but are they actually glowing? I would put a DC clamp meter on the glow plug feed and verify that the glow system is actually operating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom