Supercharger vs Turbo vs Engine Swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reviving this thread. I’ve been researching a bit on these options. But it sounds like my 93 Fzj80 might have problems doing some of the options even though it has under 140k miles on it. It sure would be nice to have more power. Any input on a low mileage 93 would be appreciated. Tia.

Reviving this thread. I’ve been researching a bit on these options. But it sounds like my 93 Fzj80 might have problems doing some of the options even though it has under 140k miles on it. It sure would be nice to have more power. Any input on a low mileage 93 would be appreciated. Tia.
For more power in an 80 series you have about 3 different options. Not going to include the s/c because nobody does a kit for them currently.

1. Turbo the 1fz. If you are mechanically minded, don't mind learning, watching guages and getting your hands dirty the turbo route is the easiest. However being a 93 you will need a standalone ecu such as a Haltech to control everything. Haltech does a plug in and play kit for the 80 series.

2. LS swap. Cheap, excellent parts availability but costs start to add up with adapters, transmission ect, heavy on fuel.

3. Swap a less conventional engine. Maybe diesel interests you. Expect the costs and complexity to be high taking this route.

When considering the 80 series platform, imho it's not possible to make significant gains in the power department for less than 10k absolute minimum, doing all the work yourself. I have found that when building cars, if you sit down and nut out every dollar you need to spend, you will end up closer to double that figure all said and done than to your original estimate.

Whatever you decide, 4x4s are more about the places they take you than how fast you get there.

There are some foreign s/c options (AUS, maybe others), twin screw etc. Dunno what the quality is, or how complete the kits are...

I have really been happy with my turbo 1fz. Even on 40's its quick around town and I am sure faster than most stock toyota trucks/4runner.

For more power in an 80 series you have about 3 different options. Not going to include the s/c because nobody does a kit for them currently.

1. Turbo the 1fz. If you are mechanically minded, don't mind learning, watching guages and getting your hands dirty the turbo route is the easiest. However being a 93 you will need a standalone ecu such as a Haltech to control everything. Haltech does a plug in and play kit for the 80 series.

2. LS swap. Cheap, excellent parts availability but costs start to add up with adapters, transmission ect, heavy on fuel.

3. Swap a less conventional engine. Maybe diesel interests you. Expect the costs and complexity to be high taking this route.

When considering the 80 series platform, imho it's not possible to make significant gains in the power department for less than 10k absolute minimum, doing all the work yourself. I have found that when building cars, if you sit down and nut out every dollar you need to spend, you will end up closer to double that figure all said and done than to your original estimate.

Whatever you decide, 4x4s are more about the places they take you than how fast you get there.
Thanks for your knowledge! I was afraid having a 93 would complicate adding a turbo. I’m average at wrenching. Guess I’ll checkout the Haltech thing. Thanks again!

Thanks for your knowledge! I was afraid having a 93 would complicate adding a turbo. I’m average at wrenching. Guess I’ll checkout the Haltech thing. Thanks again!
Haltech is not plug and play for 93 only 95-97 and isnt setup for automatics. and honestly their plug and play kit kind of sucks.. ecu is great but the plug and play harness sucks.

Haltech is not plug and play for 93 only 95-97 and isnt setup for automatics. and honestly their plug and play kit kind of sucks.. ecu is great but the plug and play harness sucks.
Haltech + compushift will run a 93

So haltech and compushift will work on the a442f old transmission?
I haven't run it, but have spoken to haltech and they have said that the compushift will give the haltech everything it wants to see, and the haltech will give the compushift what it wants to see. A compushift will run an A442. Wholesale Automatics here sells a kit for it

I haven't run it, but have spoken to haltech and they have said that the compushift will give the haltech everything it wants to see, and the haltech will give the compushift what it wants to see. A compushift will run an A442. Wholesale Automatics here sells a kit for it
Thanks for all the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom