Super Glow vs Wilson Switch on a 1HDT Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Situation: 1HDT into FZJ80 conversion.

I've been doing a lot of reading on here about the Super Glow system and Wilson Switches. The general consensus is that the super glow system works great until it doesn't. Lol. As in there is no reason to chuck the super glow in favor of a Wilson switch. But there's less info on conversions and especially little info on the 1HDT/FT series. If this has been covered and I missed it, just call me a dumbs and post up the link.

I have all the components of the super glow system and it seemed to work fine in my parts truck. But moving all the wiring and controllers over seems like a bit of a PITA. Is it advantageous to save some parts of the stock system and wire that up to a switch on the dash? Or is it just as good to go simple and wire the plugs up to a relay Wilson style to a switch on the dash? Can I use the stock relay (the one wired to the fusible link) for the Wilson set-up?

@CaptBeardilocks , I would think it would be a PITA of moving everything over. I would do the Wilson Switch. Just tie into the glow plug rail and put a spring loaded switch on / under your dash on either side of the steering wheel. Here are a couple diagrams stolen off the internet. I used a Ford Starter Relay / Solenoid and it has been working just fine.

wilson switch set up1.jpg

Wilsonswitchsolenoid.jpg

It seems like too much work to move everything over for the slight advantage of the super glow. I'm not in sub-arctic conditions that much anyway to need the afterglow.

I'm curious if I can use one of the Toyota relays since I already have them and all the wiring.

I ended up ditching the superglow system on my troopy (1hz turbo) when the secondary glow relay burned out. I used the stock main relay wired to the fusible link and battery as you mentioned to "power" the glow plugs, retained much of the original glow timer wiring and wired to a momentary switch, I also wired in the dash glow light. The above diagrams are all you need to put a wilson switch in place. It would be easy for you to run a key powered wire (ignition or acc+) to a momentary switch, then to the stock main glow relay (don't use the secondary relay on the fender), then a wire to the glow rail. If you are in really cold conditions or the engine is idling a little rough on start up you can always hold the momentary switch in for a few more seconds. You will need to use different glow plugs(10.5 or 11 volt plugs) if you use a wilson switch. The super glow plugs will burn up if powered for too long.

I followed some write ups based on an HJ60... different truck and motor, but same principle.

Hope that helps, you can shoot me a PM if you need more details.

Thanks! I'm hoping to repurpose a stock switch as a momentary switch. Lots of time to make that decision.

I thought I had read that the 1HDT glow plugs were the higher voltage version. Might have my wires crossed one way or the other on that, no pun intended. Have to look back into that.

My understanding is that all super glow systems have lower voltage glow plugs. For example in my 24 volt truck the super glow plugs were 14v to allow them to heat up quickly. With the wilson switch I'm running 23 v plugs. I'm not sure about the 1HDT but I think it would be the same, ie if it's a 12 volt truck one would use 6 v plugs with super glow, and 10.5 v with a wilson switch, and if it's a 24 v truck it would use 14 v super glow, or 23 v plugs with the switch. With a switch you can use the super glow plugs you just can't let them glow too long.

Is there a stock momentary switch in an 80 series or are you going to make a standard on/off switch into a spring loaded, normally off switch?

It's my understanding that the 1HDT glow plugs are 11v. It's entirely possible that I have a misunderstanding about which glow system I have in my 1HDT. It's a JDM truck with a lot of strange factory options (like full float rear in a 1990 and the fuel heater etc etc).

IF I do have 11v glow plugs (I bought new ones and I'm looking for the receipt for the part number) then I should be good to go for the Wilson switch regardless.

If you can't find the receipt, generally the glow plugs have the voltage stamped on them. Just pull one out to check.

Confirmed 11V plugs in my truck.

Now to choose which stock switch to modify for this purpose...
HDJ81 Headlamp washer switch is a momentary rocker switch 😉

Antenna!
Fits in those unused slots. Easy to find. If you have a pick and pull check other Toyota's as one never knows what he's going to find.

I’ve got a post 95 HDJ81 Headlamp Cleaner switch here.

29241C19-5309-49DB-B6DC-A831949DF38E.jpeg

Sorry to butt in on the exact direction of the thread, but I'm looking for a 2h engine current sensor if any of you don't need it now that you have a Wilson switch. Thanks.

I have never even seen the glow plug light operate on my HDJ81 with the 1HDT motor.
I would be surprised if you actually needed glow plugs to get a 1HDFT to start unless it was extremely cold.
I would try it out and see before getting to far into the glow plug systems.

I have never even seen the glow plug light operate on my HDJ81 with the 1HDT motor.
I would be surprised if you actually needed glow plugs to get a 1HDFT to start unless it was extremely cold.
I would try it out and see before getting to far into the glow plug systems.

Does the bulb work? I live where it's not very cold and mines on for a few seconds first start of the day.

I have a Wilson Switch on my 1HDT. It likes some glow plug burn under about ~35-40F. Over ~45F there's not really any difference btw burning them or not. It will still start under freezing if I'm an idiot and forget to hit the switch but she's grumpy about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom