Sunroof won't close tightly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I searched the threads and found nothing on-point. My '96 80 seems to be having a sunroof failure. As I mentioned on a few other similiar threads, I was having water problems and cleaned out the drain hoses, under-carriage drain slits, and removed the sunroof deflecter to prevent water from entering. I found that my sunroof won't close completly though. It sits down about 1/8" from being flush with the roof when travel stops. I can push up on it from inside and get a nice tight fit with no water entry, but if I don't push up, it doesn't close tightly and water gets in.

I decided this was a dealer repair, but my local dealer cannot get the parts they think it needs before my daughter takes the 80 north for the summer. So my question is two-fold.

First, can anyone recommend a good dealer in Madison, WI; Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, or along the northern MN border with Canada? We will be stopping for two days in Madison and another day in Minneapolis (I think there are three dealers there) and she will be spending the summer in Bemidji, MN where I know there is one dealer, but have no experience with that dealer.

Second, can anyone confirm my local dealers recommendation that the rails/cables for the sunroof are worn and need replacing? They tried to order the parts last week for installation today, but goofed and now cannot get the right parts in time for our Monday departure. The two items they now say I need are both described as "Rail Sub-A SP" and part numbers are 63603-60014 and the other side is 63604-60014.

Thanks for any help!

I am having the same issue. I just received the last 2 rails from Dan in the nation. My cost for the parts alone was $550 and I found a Lexus Tech(Side work) to put them in for $200. Lexus wanted $1900 to do it for me. Once I recovered from my collapse and changed my diaper I decided to go this route. The Lexus Tech has assured me that this will fix the issue. What are they quoting for the repair?

So far, I've been told the parts will be $350 for EACH rail (can I get your deal?) and 3-5 hours labor. At the going rate of $95/hour, I'm looking at roughly $400 in labor plus the $700 in parts for a whopping $1,100 - OUCH! :censor: I hope I get a kiss with that. They said the rails would be coming out of California, but perhaps you've already taken those rails :doh:

I get all my parts from Cruiser Dan in New Mexico. His number is 505-823-4440. If it's over $100 he ships it for free with no tax. He also gives a very good discount to Mud Memebers.

I don't know if this will help you or not but here it goes. If I tilt the sunroof and try to close it it will not close all the way. I know this based on the wind noise. If I then open and then close the sunroof (slide back and then forward) the sunroof will close completely. So my problem is only that it does not seal using the tilt feature. If I you the retact feature it does seal.

Heffenoche said:
I don't know if this will help you or not but here it goes. If I tilt the sunroof and try to close it it will not close all the way. I know this based on the wind noise. If I then open and then close the sunroof (slide back and then forward) the sunroof will close completely. So my problem is only that it does not seal using the tilt feature. If I you the retact feature it does seal.

X2....mine has done this same thing for 5 years...but it definitely isn't like 2" short of being sealed.

i just fixed mine so thats its perfectly sealed and never opens again.

trucks shouldnt have sunroofs anyways.

As for Toyota dealers up this way, there are several in the Twin Cities area (Minneapolis/St. Paul and surrounding suburb cities such as Edina, Golden Valley, Bloomington, Roseville, etc....), however, if you are coming up from Madison you may very well be driving through my local area of Duluth, Minnesota and Superior, Wisconsin, called the Twin Ports. Duluth has a Toyota Dealer called Kolar Auto World, and Superior has a dealer called Kari Toyota. My recommendation between the two is Kari Toyota, as Kolar has not been very kind to me (in fact I can't stand them). If you're interested in contact info for them, they both have websites easily found with google, or I can get info for you.

It may be worth it to see if a dealer will be ok with you buying the OEM parts elsewhere (if they are not the cheapest source), and having the dealer install them. That way you could get your parts for cheap yet still have a dealer install. We also have a non-dealer service center in Duluth called Foreign Affairs that could do the install (and possibly get the parts).

I do not know about shops or the dealer over in Bemidji. There may also be dealers in Grand Rapids , Detroit Lakes, or Thief River Falls, neigboring cities.

Heffenoche said:

Same here. Tilt and close, lots of wind noise. Retract and close, and its good.

Just like Smoke said...

"Tilt and close, lots of wind noise. Retract and close, and its good"

My 92 has done this for 2 years. The 95 is still working good. GREAT! why did I go and say that.

Since it looks like you're coming from down south, you'll probably be passing through the Chicago area. Grossinger Toyota offers a vintage service rate of something around $65-70 per hour on vehicles over 8 years old. I also get a 'cruiserdan-esque' discount on parts there and for non-cruiserheads they do a pretty decent job of getting most parts correct the first time around. Hit me with a PM if you decide to stop up this way and I can send more info to you.

AZCruzinLX450 said:
I get all my parts from Cruiser Dan in New Mexico. His number is 505-823-4440. If it's over $100 he ships it for free with no tax. He also gives a very good discount to Mud Memebers.

Looks like I'll be calling Cruiser Dan first thing tomorrow morning!

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. It looks like I'll be taking the beast to Rudy Luther Toyota in the Edina, MN area (twin cities). They don't care if I bring the parts with me (so long as they are OEM) and get this, their service dept is open until 2am! So when I get into the twin cities around 10 pm I'll drop off the 80 and they think they will have it done by 2am so I can either pick it up then or wait until they open the next morning at 7am. Man, if only my local dealer was they accomodating. Heck, their parts dept is open until 1am! Amazing.

Miescha,

Rudy Luther is in Golden Valley, MN if that matters. I have had work done there before with awesome results. I ran into a problem with a new PS Pump and they finished the job for me not a problem. I didnt even purchase the pump from them.

Way cool people!

Heffenoche said:

Ditto that. Sounds like Miescha's is a little farther gone than this but it's a good tip for everyone.

CruiserDan is Awesome!

I really can't say enough great things about CruiserDan! I guess most of you already know how great he is, but wow!

He's getting me the sunroof cable/rails I need for $500 instead of the $725 my local dealer quoted me AND he's getting them express shipped to Rudy Luther Toyota in Minnesota by the time I get there next Wednesday.

Even after the cost of the express shipping I'm saving money. Most importantly, he tracked down the parts and is getting them in the time frame I need (which even my local dealer couldn't/wouldn't do).

Thanks again to CruiserDan! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom