Sunroof front and rear drains clear but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've cleared the drains on the front and rear corners of my sunroof. But I'm still getting wet seat belts. Any ideas or advice?

The seal is so worn out on my glass that even with drains cleared it still leaked. However with mine if you use the switch to tilt the glass up so it's just even the seal works better and I have no leaks.

Last edited:
Never heard of wet belts - so I’d go with ^^^^ recommendation- I get a wet floorpan on either side up front & know it’s time to clean the pollen & silt out of the tubes, chase with a little bleach to kill any live spores.

And I windex/wipe clean the surrounding crap with the glass panel pulled back, since that silt is the next in line to try & plug my drains.

My 80 lives outside, generally 3yrs between cleanings.

:::Edit - flush the bleach bigtime before you Windex anything.

I learned as a zit-faced kid dishwashing at Denny’s restaurant circa 1985 that a clogged drain you pour both those down (I just poured what we had, no clue the result) -would make what I later learned was ‘mustard gas’. (ammonia & chlorine - what we had onhand for the bathrooms)

We cleared/evacuated the restaurant & had full 911 services down there - I earned a name as a kid in my small town when all the fire/police/EMS heard what my dumba$$ did what I did - I was honest and it was a funny story by 1997. But it was a oddball 2yrs, just saying.
People still know me as the teenager who cleared the restaurant ~30yrs later.

/Edit:::

Last edited:
My sunroof seal was so dried out (western truck) that it allowed in more water than the drains could handle. Replaced the glass/seal and no more issues. You could also have a leaky roof rack.

Is it the front row, or the second row seat belts that are getting wet? If it's the second row, there is a piece of trim molding mounted between the C, and D pillars. It's held on by plastic clips, those clips can allow water to get underneath them, then water can drip down onto the outboard second row seat belts, and the seat belt automatic tensioner.

I've cleared the drains on the front and rear corners of my sunroof. But I'm still getting wet seat belts. Any ideas or advice?
I just did this on my neighbor's 96LC and I did it on my 97LX. It's a 2 step process of expanding the seal around the glass and leveling out the glass once reinstalled to make it sits flush with the roof line so water doesn't pool in the corners.

With the glass panel removed and placed upside down on a work surface, work cotton kitchen string (the stuff you use to tie up poultry) into the small space in the existing seal around the circumference of the glass. Use a plastic tool of your choice to get the string as far down as it will go. This will slightly expand the existing seal by about 1mm all around. Toyota used hard plastic corner supports in this space which are now brittle pieces of broken plastic and should be removed before starting.

Spend some time with a cleaning cloth and Windex and clean the outer seal to get the 20+ years of crap off the seal as well as the roof mating surface.

Reinstall the glass panel making sure to gently push the seal past the lip of the roof with a plastic tool of your choice. Once the glass is seated and fastened back in place, slide the sunroof open and then allow it to fully close. Check the roofline and see where the low spots are. Cut shims out of washers and shim up the roof adding to the existing shims that came with the unit until the seal of the glass is level with the roof line in all 4 corners.

This limits the amount of water that the pan has to deal with and should also minimize wind noise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom