Sunroof drains - again!*XX! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:(
Ok, it's finally warm enough for me to work on the truck outside (there is still 6" of snow, but it is warm - I need a garage :'()

Sorry to bring this up again, it's worse than at 'which tire is better' thread.

My DS carpet is still damp, so I decided to have a look. I removed the DS kick panel and pulled up the carpet. It seems that the floor plugs that I could see (2?) are in place. I also found the elusive DS sunroof drain tube coming down from the A pillar. The black hose seems to connect to a transparent hose which is part of the wiring harness running under the DS door sill?! I was expecting it to drain forward.

Where does this hose go and where does it exit? I crawled around (in the snow) under the truck, but didn't see anything obvious.

TIA for your help :beer:

PS My sunroof still doesn't open - I check the fuses and both are ok - looks like a bigger part needs replacing :(

Cheers, Hugh

:-[ :-[ :-[ As we say in Canada '...what a hose head!'

I did a little bit more digging and I think all of my troubles are connected. First, I looked in the DS rear compartment and discovered that the hose we are talking about is as thick as your thumb (~1") not thin like I was expecting (1/4").

The clear tube that runs in the wiring harness under the Ds door sill is the windshield washer fluid for the rear :-[ :-[ (connects to a Y junction in the rear compartment - not sure why - one goes up the C pillar not sure why there is a cross over to the other side?)

Back to the front - as mentioned in other posts, the drainage tube is inside the A pillar and shares space near the bottom, behind the DS kick pannel with a wiring harness and three large plugs. I looked and my hose does not seem to be crimped.

However, I notices that some of the steel parts behind the kick pannel and the ground seem to be quite rusty. What I think has happened is the hose is disconnected/plugged at the top. The water has leaked down and (1) rusted some parts behind the kick pannel, (2) shorted out some part in the headliner related to the sunroof- engine, relay, switch? and (3) is causing water to run down the A pillar and soak my floor mat. &nbsp:Does this make sense?

So, beware - if you are experiencing this seemingly little problem, it can grow to be a big problem.

I plan to take it to a dealer and have them fix it (big$$$), but I plan to use this work and some other minor work as enticement for them to do rust repair on my rear hatch, etc under warranty.

Cheers, Hugh :stupid:

Hugh,
Follow the other leak threads carefully and you will have a lot of information to help you find the problem. Sometimes the dealers won't quote you a fixed price for this type problem. Leaks, noises, and electrical problems are usually time & materials. It would be a shame for you to pay a mechanic to do the research that Tenn, Jim, and several others have already done for you.

1. Be sure the tiny outlets in the pinch welds are clear. (cleaning described by C-Dan).
2. Be sure the 4 moonroof drains are clear. Run a small wire carefully down them. Someone found leaves and other junk plugging one of their front ones. Use compressed air if you have access to it. The front 2 drains are your biggest concern.
3. Pour some water down the DS front tube and see where it goes.

We're just trying to save you $500+ for a non-technical leak repair. As for the sunroof not opening, that might be out of your ability and maybe the dealer is your best alternative.

-B-

Can I access the tops of the drain tubes if the sunroof doesn't open? I though I needed the roof open to clear the drain tubes? I'm wasn't going to use the dealer to find the leak, but I do need them to replace the parts in the sunroof so I can clear the drains - correct?

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,
You do have a Catch-22 there. :D

I guess you can have them get the roof working then try to fix the leaks yourself. If you can't then take it back.
-B-

Gentlemen,

The sun roof can be opened manually. That is what the 90 degree screw driver thingy in the tool kit is for.
The procedure is outlined in the owner's manual. In my '93 book it's on page 129........

Regards.....Dan :beer:

Toolkit? I gues the PO took that along with the implements to use the jack and the owners manual :mad:

I thought there might be a manual override - I'll give that a shot. C-dan does my diagnosis of leak -> short in sunroof component -> rusk behind the kick pannel make sense?

Cheers, Hugh

Yes, to a degree. In a case like this it's very hard to hold it up to the monitor so you can get a good look at it. :ugh:

If there is a good deal of rust it probably has been going on for some time. The main relay for the roof is in the left kick panel. If it's corroded, that may be your function problem.
The control relay is up in the roof, next to the motor. It is a stretch to think that got wet, but it could have.....

Look at the relays and such in the left kick panel to see if any of them look ugly..........Good luck, Dan

C-Dan,

:bow:

You continue to baffle me with your infinite BS, errr uhhh, I mean dazzle me with your wisdom.

-B-
(Sorry Rogue, I had to borrow that for a minute... you can have it back now :D.)

-B-,

I know you were away for a few days, and I'm sure that you feel......well....left out, maybe?

I thought you knew what "thingy" meant?

To quote the Silent Service "Stay in the baffles"

Then they don't know you are there......... 8)

C-Dan,
A few months ago over on SOR, someone accused me (wrongly of course) of being a "Know-it-all." [Did anyone save that thread?]

True confessions time: I thought the "thingy" you described was to turn the spark plug socket. Honest. They were held together with a rubber band so I just assumed....

Now I know it's purpose and I'll never admit to the above misconception. Never. 8)

-B-
(I'll bet dirty fingernails didn't know that either...)

:bow: C-Dan you da man! Thanks for the advice. I know the FSM has a diagnostic to test the relay, I will try to do that this week.

Is it possible to use a jumper to bypass the relay and test the sunroof operation or will I blow my electrical system and start a fire ::)?

Cheers, Hugh

-B-

You have the spark plug socket doohickey confused with the sun roof thingy. The thingy is Cad plated, it has a flat blade screwdriver tip on the long end and 2 pinchy ears on the short end. The doohickey is silver and cylindrical throughout. It is also larger than the thingy.

I hope this clears things up a bit......... 8)

Returning to periscope depth.......

C-Dan,
Look buddy, there's no way I could confuse the doohickey with the thingy. You think I'm a rookie or something?

I know what I see when I see it and what I saw was definitely a thingy.
-B-
(Goodnight boys and girls...)

Hugh,

I don't know about bypassing the relay. The book lists the stuff in this order:
Gauge fuse
Power fuse
Power main relay
Sliding roof control switch
Sliding roof limit switch
Sliding roof motor
Sliding roof control relay
Wire harness

There is a circuit breaker in there someplace as well but I can't see it in the EWD. It's mentioned in the troubleshooting in the FSM.. I think it's also in the LH kick panel......

Rigging for depth charges..........Dan

I don't have much to add to this, but I do like to jump in whenever I see a 'leaking sunroof' thread - it's a pet subject of mine.

Dan is, of course, quite right about being able to manually open the roof. I discovered this whilst waiting 4 hours for a ferry. I was sitting in the car (to get out of the rain) and naturally one starts to disassemble parts of interest....

The other thing that occured to me whilst reading this post is; why not clean the drain tubes from the bottom up? In my experience the blockage is usually at the bottom of the drain tube anyway. The problem I can forsee is spotting the drain tube - if you can find it then I'm sure you can clear it.

Cheers, Jim

The other thing that occured to me whilst reading this post is; why not clean the drain tubes from the bottom up? In my experience the blockage is usually at the bottom of the drain tube anyway. The problem I can forsee is spotting the drain tube - if you can find it then I'm sure you can clear it.

Cheers, Jim

ahhh...interesting idea! I could easily find the exit for the two rear tubes - very easy to see. However, it seems that the front tubes drain into the rocker panel (?), so I can't seem to access the bottom of the tube - suggestions?

Cheers, Hugh

Ahhhhhh, yes, Landcruiser leaks, I know them well. I am happy to tell the board that after torential downpours this weekend, my cruiser is bone dry. There is hope as I once felt that I was being subjected to Chinese water torture.

I will say this....my sunroof seal leaves much to be desired. I once thought that was my problem. Then I found unplugged holes on my passenger floor which I easily sealed only to find much water in driver side floor pan (trough area). I started focussing on the sunroof drain system (all FOUR drains, not TWO). The system is designed to displace a lot of water but is subject to have problems due to the length and routing of the hoses. The front hoses drain behind the front wheels and the rear hoses drain directly behind the rear wheels. I thought my system was working because I had draining from all corners, however I found that the crimp in the hose on the front driver side prevented adequate drainage which cause spillage into headliner which ran down the A pillar and ran back into the rear quarter as I found moisture on my jack and tool kit. After I put a hose clamp around the drain tube to re-shape, NO LEAKS. I would resolve the issue for two reasons:
1) The carpet and pad will sour as mine started to do:
2) The number of relays in the kick panel and the amount of wiring which is bundled under the carpet near the doorsill are vulnerable

Tenn

Tenn,

Continue to monitor the area behind the rear wheels for water. The sun roof is probably NOT where that water is coming from. It will be the belt moulding mounting holes or the roof vent.(The black plastic piece to the rear of the quarter glass)

Check your PM's.......Dan :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom