Suggestions please, removing busted sensor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was pulling all the sensors from my thermostat housing and the last one broke.
20200312_181408.jpg
20200312_181454.jpg

15840621197715352497765551314319.jpg

I believe the part is called a cold start timer switch or something, #182-66. How am I going to remove this sucker, or would it be more feasible to source a new housing? Also does anyone know if the part is still available? Thanks so much, I love this forum

Last edited:
Can you pull the rest of the sensor out from the bottom?

I kind of doubt it, here is the view from the bottom (inside the housing)
1584063752390964100614524717621.jpg

Well, it only goes in from the outside, so that's how it should come out.

Well, it only goes in from the outside, so that's how it should come out.

I would agree lol, the only question now is how do I get it out? All I can think of is trying to carefully drill it out but I feel like there is probably a better method. There are so many types of extractors on the market I have no idea what type/style I would use for this application....

Looks like some form of scaling inside the housing that may have grabbed onto the sensor.

Use a pick around the sensor to remove some scale, then bang it out somehow.

Looks like all of the threaded housing came out. Just drive it out from the inside.

Some weak acid... like vinegar or off the shelf radiator flush might weaken up the grip of the corrosion on the remaining stub. don't use anything strong like muiatic. It will damage the aluminum

Mark...

Coca cola overnight would also possibly work.

Last edited:
Scaling can do amazing things. Hot water heater gave me similiar problem on the recirculating line for faster recovery. Eventualy shut off the water. Ended up eliminating.
Would soak as mentioned above over night. Some Calcium, lime remover,CLR may help , agree no acid.
Some best tools I was told to get when doing head gasket is the set of 2 dollar picks from harbor freight.
Have been amazed how handy these have become for all sorts of things. Even helped fixed computer I'm typing on.

Looks like all of the threaded housing came out. Just drive it out from the inside.
I can't believe I didn't realize this. For some reason I thought there was still threads inside the housing..... I just moved the housing from a penetrating fluid soak to some weak hydrochloric acid to soak for the night. Hopefully I can drive it out with a punch tomorrow.

I don't recommend hydrochloric. It will eat AL.

Mark...

I don't recommend hydrochloric. It will eat AL.

Mark...

I hope not... Haha I am going to take it out and go buy some clr tomorrow. I think I understand acids and bases but now you got me worried. I had some 1M HCL and I diluted it down to .001M HCL my math puts that close to a ph of 3 which should be slightly less than 5% acetic acid (vinegar). But I am no expert on chemistry so I am not risking ruining a discontinued part. Thanks

I am far from a chemist as well. If you have it diluted that much you might be okay. I do know that with full strength muriatic (between 15 and 30 percent HCl... around 25-28% usually IIRC) you can watch it attack the AL. If you have it weakened down to vinegar levels... watch it for a bit and maybe not leave it overnight? ;)

Mark...

I'd be inclined to throw it in the oven for an hour @ 400° F and see if the expansion would break the bond. That scaling and galvanic corrosion 'bond' can be difficult to remove. IF you can source a new/replacement sensor BEFORE proceeding, then looking at it might give you some idea if you are still dealing with a threaded portion or not.

With the amount of corrosion on the housing, just replace it.

Cheers

Toyota told me the upper housing was dicontinued and I found a complete used housing along with all the sensors and corrosion for more than I want to pay...... They also quoted me $220.00 for the sensor:oops: . These sensors were used in a few different toyota models so I am going to run over to the junk yard today and see if I can get lucky, but I will probably end up ordering one on flea bay.

Toyota told me the upper housing was dicontinued and I found a complete used housing along with all the sensors and corrosion for more than I want to pay...... They also quoted me $220.00 for the sensor:oops: . These sensors were used in a few different toyota models so I am going to run over to the junk yard today and see if I can get lucky, but I will probably end up ordering one on flea bay.

Use an online EPC and try Toyota Parts Deal. If they are to much go to www.amayama.com or www.partsouq.com.

Dealerships are called stealerships for a reason.

Cheers

I'd rip the electrical remains out, put a torch to the housing, then run a drill in there. The sensor housing is brass, easy to drill. The heat with luck would break the bond between the two, and in the process of drilling the remains would spin out of the housing. If not, you are going to have to drill it anyway.

IDEA ONLY- based on welding to broken bolts to remove- which Ive done a LOT. Braze a bole to the bottom of the brass cylinder- maybe with the heat having been applied can screw it out. IDK if threads are NPT tapered wont go further in.

I'd rip the electrical remains out, put a torch to the housing, then run a drill in there. The sensor housing is brass, easy to drill. The heat with luck would break the bond between the two, and in the process of drilling the remains would spin out of the housing. If not, you are going to have to drill it anyway.

This. Heat and a drill. Your main concern is damaging the threads on the housing. The sensor material should be much softer than the housing and a drill bit will make quick work of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom