Stupid little hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I remember reading a thread about a difficult to access small hose under the intake manifold. What is that hose called and how do I do a search on this site to find the thread. I remember it had great pictures and tips on how to best go about replacing.

Thanks! Dan

That would be the PHH or Pesky Heater Hose. Go to www.sleeoffroad.com Christo has some good bits also search here there are a number of references. Smallish hands and dish soap come in handy. ;)

Yo Rick, yer too fast for me ::)

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=4549;start=msg34242#msg34242 date=1061599569]
Dan, I'm afraid to ask :eek:
[/quote]
2mm from what I hear. :flipoff2: :banana:

Rick,

It's actually quite benign :D.

The dish soap aids in sliding the hose onto the bib on the cylinder head and smallish hands do a better job with the sliding ;) . I put a small ammount of liquid dish soap on the interior surface of the replacement hose before I slid it up onto the pipe. That made a huge difference in the ammount of force required to slide the hose down onto the block bib after the pipe was pivoted back into position. Even with that advantage I fought the damn thing for about 20 minutes trying to slide it down. My wife heard the "mumbling" and came out to investigate (she is a mechanical engineer BTW). She said "would you like me to try?" I thought "yeah, right, like that's gonna work". I said "sure, have at it, I need a beer anyway". So, I go into the house and fetch me a tall cold one and head back out to commence round two with the champ and.......she had the damn thing back on! I love me wife. :D

Hey Dan - when replacing did you have the valve cover off as Christo suggests?

Nope,

I went in thru the LH fender apron. I removed the LH front tire and placed the vehicle on jackstands (a safety must, folks) and removed the plastic "curtain" at the rear of the apron. I also un-bolted the transmission dip stick tube and let it drop down to give me a bit more room. I did not disturb the starter.
I removed the hose between the pipe and the heater valve on top and removed the one of the 2 pipe bolts that you can get to somewhat easily. I left the BEETCHIE one against the firewall un-touched. I gently bent the pipe outward (after cutting the original hose out) toward the LH side of the vehicle to allow me to push the new hose up onto the pipe. Right about this time is where my lovely wife's smallish but skilled hands came into play. ;) I think this is the best method IF this is the only repair/service that you are doing at the time. The job would be much easier if the valve cover or the transmission, for example were already removed as part of some other operation. When the transmission is out, the hose SHOUTS at you from underneth the vehicle saying "do it now buster" :D

I would say that if you have a 100k+ mile vehicle the PHH is living on borrowed time. If it needs say a valve clearance inspection, that would be an excelent time to combine the two operations.

Can you see the state of the hose with a major pain? From the pics it looks like you can't. It's too dark outside now to have a peak.

now that I have my 80 my to do list is:

birfs, knuckle job
OME springs
pull running boards and install the "correct" mud flaps
and now the little hose.

Man it's hard to get setup and cruising.

Riley,

You can very easily see the PHH by doing the following:

Jack up the LH front tire and remove it. (lets have a look at the brakes whilst we are at it, OK?) Next, remove the plastic "curtain" closest to the rear of the vehicle(3 plastic clips)
Get a flashlight and look up and to the rear of the cylinder head. You will see the Grail at that time ;)

Dan.

The proceedure that I wrote that is posted on Christo's site is exactly how I did the job and I have very large hands. You have to get into some awkward positions but removing anything more than what I did really isn't needed just more of a convienence. Having a sixth sense so as to be able to work blind helps. By that I mean being able to visualize in your mind what your hands are touching so you can see what your doing :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom