stuck...help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, so im rebuilding my knuckels, and the seal that the axle fits into has to be replaced, but i cant seem to get it off. any suggestions, ro know how?
DSC00543.JPG

ok, so im rebuilding my knuckels, and the seal that the axle fits into has to be replaced, but i cant seem to get it off. any suggestions, ro know how?

i used a seal puller, but a small crowbar, small claw hammer or clawed nail puller will work just as well. if worst comes to worst just take a screw and screw it into the metal part of the seal and use a claw hammer on the screw to pop it loose and if you dont want to mess with it just take a set of vise grips grab the seal from the insed and start pulling and twisting it will come out

First off, good on yah for tackling!

First make sure that your new one is going to fit
Then spray the edge with wd40 or some penetrator
pry it out with a screwdriver and a sledge

clean up that area where it seats a bit afterwards
install new seal

my impression is that you don't have to be too dainty with it
someone correct me if I'm wrong

You can use a hammer and a chisel and give the seal a good whack. It will turn into a U shaped seal and you should be able to grab it and pull it out.

Dynosoar
:zilla:

I used a hook-ended seal puller.

You can use a hammer and a chisel and give the seal a good whack. It will turn into a U shaped seal and you should be able to grab it and pull it out.

Dynosoar
:zilla:

x2, but I used a screwdriver!

I would recommend getting the marlincrawler axel seal as they are much more substantial and a better fit.

are your axle splines engaged in your diff? That is the main thing.

I *think* further than that. Is the end of the axle shaft seated into the diff? I seem to remember that taking a bit of playing... having to "lever" the far end up to get it mated right.

What kind of grease is that? It doesn't look overly moly-ish....

If you can feel that it is engaged at the diff (by rotating it and feeling the resistance/seeing the other side move) and it is jammed in all the way, you should have it. Does the spindle clear? Where does the recess for the snap ring sit in relation to the end of the spindle? Comparison DS to PS?

it doesnt rotate, at all, its stuck

i just did mine again. Pull it out and start over. You need to push and pull it slightly while rotating it. You will feel it slide into the gears in the dif. it should rotate freely. if you have it in 4x with the other side locked you will see it turn the driveshaft once in right.

Good luck. Don't force anything. It all goes in rather easy.

Good to have input from someone who has just gone through it. It's been about 10 months since for me...

If the other side is still intact you can lock the hub, then turn the front driveshaft some and this will help with the axle splines slipping into the differential. May need a second person to rotate the shaft while you gently, but firmly, push on the birfield.

Apparently that is the short side so yes it should go in rather easy...pull it out INSPECT the splines if good try again but this time have someone gently rotate the drive shaft (just a little) back and forth and that should help as you are trying from your end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom