stuck...help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok, so im stuck again, i am not sure if is how far the birfield is supposed to stick out, but this doesnt seem right

when i did mine last month same issue. as has said before take back out. the seal on the axle shaft is a snug fit. gentle twist and steady pressure and she will go in. the birfield should recess inside the knuckle.

x2 on the grease is it molly???? if not you need to use it

grease?

grease is grease some just last longer than others.....

i like to use the red marine grade stuff myself. less likely to churn all up when mixed with water or gear lube... well thats my theory anyway.

"i like to use the red marine grade stuff myself. less likely to churn all up when mixed with water or gear lube... well thats my theory anyway."

I guess I understand the possibility of water in the knuckle, but if you're gettin gear lube from the diff your axel seal in the knuckle aint doin its job. Thats what I've heard anyway. When the axel seal goes bad, and the gear lube starts mixin with the knuckle grease, it starts leaking out the back and now your back to square one...am I wrong?

I'm about to tackle the knuckles myself [parts just came in from cruiseroutfitters] Besides moly, is there a type of moly grease that is recommended?

Sorry for the Hijack.

The manual calls for a molybdenum-disulphide lithium base grease with a NLGI No. 2 compliance for the knuckles and steering linkage. It should have a dark metallic grey or graphite colour to it. A "regular" lithium based grease is called for for the driveshafts.

i have always been told grease is not grease. general purpose grease can't be substituted for high temp grease because of the additives or lack there of that make it not suitable for high temp applications such as wheel bearings. Marine grease has better water repelling and mixing properties than general purpose grease and molly grease has better anti-friction properties.

as i see it grease is like oil, there are many types and yes they all lubricate but some oil weights do better in different applications just as some greases do.

my .02

"i like to use the red marine grade stuff myself. less likely to churn all up when mixed with water or gear lube... well thats my theory anyway."

I guess I understand the possibility of water in the knuckle, but if you're gettin gear lube from the diff your axel seal in the knuckle aint doin its job. Thats what I've heard anyway. When the axel seal goes bad, and the gear lube starts mixin with the knuckle grease, it starts leaking out the back and now your back to square one...am I wrong?

no you are right but in the knuckle it wont see high speeds (since i dont drive freeway speeds and hubs locked) so hi temp is of no concern. And currently my seals are new so i dont have to worry about leaking but one day they will wear again and i may get some mixing.

on my bearings i use a good quality wheel bearing grease as to stand up to the much harsher conditions present in that area.

sorry for any confusion i should have been more clear tho i think it has brought some good points from other members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom