Stubborn Gasket Removal - Oil Filter Bracket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled the oil filter bracket off and at first thought the PO did not use a gasket and then realized it was on there and it appears it wants to stay on forever. I obviously don’t want to damage the surface (the gasket is stuck to the block, not the bracket) and hoping someone can impart some wisdom on the best way to get it off.

I pulled the oil filter bracket off and at first thought the PO did not use a gasket and then realized it was on there and it appears it wants to stay on forever. I obviously don’t want to damage the surface (the gasket is stuck to the block, not the bracket) and hoping someone can impart some wisdom on the best way to get it off.
Can you tell if it's a paper/fiber gasket?

If that's the case use some CRC electrical contact cleaner. It evaporates away so no residue, but it'll break apart the adhesives and varnish buildup in the gasket allowing it to come off bit by bit. It'll still be a chore and you'll want to avoid getting it into the oil passageways as much as you can (not a critical thing, but best to minimize contamination where you can), but it's never failed me when I've had to deal with a stubborn fiber gasket.

I went through this a lot on my 3B with paper gaskets galore. Its a PITA, and you need time and the "want" to get it done.

I used some cleaner as mentioned above and some safety blades and some 400 grit to smooth out mating surfaces from any nicks in the metal.
I installed all my paper gaskets between my metal surfaces and have put ~1,000km on so far with no leaks. Take what items you can inside, set down a towel and watch a show and slowly scrape away at it.

Good luck.

Snapon has a carbide hand scraper that works well on steel, don't use it on aluminum
scotch brite roto discs work to clean also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom