Strange startup noise?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by tucker74, Oct 24, 2005.

1. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

My FZJ's been making a strange noise on cold startups - kinda like a "bruunnnt" lasting less than a second right after firing, and only when the ambient temp is below 60 or so. I don't know where to start - the belts have less than 6k on them and it doesn't "sound" like the starter. I'm not sure though - this truck has an aftermarket starter so I haven’t done the contacts/plunger. Anyone come across something similar?

Tucker

2. KliersLC

KliersLC

Is it a rattle? Or could it be described as a valve train noise? If so, search for startup rattle to find out a bunch, but it is solved by the newer toyota filter and if you want, a higher viscosity oil.
    Good luck,
    Dan

3. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Doesn't sound like valve tap ... using 15W-50 M1 and Purolator PureOne so it's pretty unlikely. More like a screaching/grinding sound ... but not starter (or what I've heard from 1FZ starter in the past).

Anyone else?

Tucker

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

Could be the chain tensioner not pumping up quickly and you're getting some slap on the cover. Might also be a busted chain guide.

-B-

5. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

That doesn't sound good :frown: Anybody else seen this? Better get out the stethoscope ...

Tucker

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.