Storing Hard Top Outside? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried searching and didn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

Is storing my hard top outside over the summer a terrible idea? I've read that the change in temp. and humidity can destroy the headliner, but mine is already gone. A PO put in some thick, ugly black foam stuff in its place that seems pretty well stuck in there. And if the glue softened and it fell out, I wouldn't be too upset.

So, if I cover it with a tarp, am I still risking damage to the fiberglass or steel?

Thanks for your help,
Felix

I store mine, headliner gone, too, outside up on milk crates and I have no problems. I think covering stuff can be worse than not, so I don't. I haven't seen any cause for concern in 3 years.
I even wash it once in a while--inside and out.

i've done it for years...don't use a tarp...waste of your money as they just disintegrate, and don't allow for moisture to dissipate well. set it up on something and keep it cleaned off.

I store my 45 hard top outside for 6 months of the year, I just put it on a pallet and toss a heavy rubber tarp over it(mostly to keep the rocks from busting the windows when mowing) 3 years now and no issues, cept for chasing some spyders around the cab when I put it back on.

Why not take it completely apart. I took maine all the way apart and it stored in a space about 2x6x5. Top fiberglass will not get harmed but I would do something to protect those sides. and rear if you have an early model.

Only thing I have to add is that it might be worth your while to make sure there is a moisture barrier UNDERNEATH it.....

A former co-worker/Mopar fanatic was convinced that cars rusted faster when stored over a porous surface that allowed humidity/moisture in the soil to evaporate up....put a tarp over it and that might actually trap moisture or cause condensation....

I'd store it on a pallet with a tarp under it, and then you can be the judge whether or not to cover the top or not depending on it's condition....

Last edited:
your correct, last 2 years I put a tarp under the pallet, I had issues with weeds growing thru the pallet....

Cruisin'Carolina said:
Only thing I have to add is that it might be worth your while to make sure there is a moisture barrier UNDERNEATH it.....

A former co-worker/Mopar fanatic was convinced that cars rusted faster when stored over a non-porous surface that allowed humidity/moisture in the soil to evaporate up....put a tarp over it and that might actually trap moisture or cause condensation....

I'd store it on a pallet with a tarp under it, and then you can be the judge whether or not to cover the top or not depending on it's condition....

Store it!

I've stored mine on a concrete pad for the summer the last few years with a semi good head liner, no tarp, and it has done very well. I believe the tarp would trap the moisture instead of protect it though. I'd put a tarp down if it were dirt. Watch out for pesky bee's looking for a good nest location and the kids will love the fort so you'll have to talk to them about staying out and off of it too.
I have thought about taking mine apart but I have the room so didn't want to deal with replacing seals there or more hardware to lose.
Pwelco

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!! I'll forget about the tarp, then.

I, too, am trying not to take the whole top apart. Not only do I not want to mess with the seals and more hardware, but the PO had a cheap paint job done with the top on about 6 months ago. I don't want to risk chipping the paint where the top panel meets the sides.

I don't have any kids, but I will have a talk with the dog. :D

Now all I have to do is figure out how I'm going to get it over the fence that keeps the aforementioned dog in the backyard.

Thanks, again

don't worry about the dog, mine think the top is there summer dog house they can stay dry in the rain and still see all that is happening around the yard. Be sure to set it on something that is not on the outside lip. The first year I bent the out side edge in a little because of this. Now I have 2x4's under the flat, and then milk crates.

I know I'm just a nervous new owner, but I'm now having second thoughts about leaving it outside. Should I just go ahead and take it apart and try to get it into the basement?

bah! its no worse than leaving it on... like people have said put a tarp under it and let it get rained on, no biggie.

Yep! That's what it was designed for.

Got it off this morning in one piece. I tried taking it apart, but the first two bolts I tried (holding the top panel to the sides) broke off. Carrying the whole top off the truck wasn't nearly as hard as I imagined with 2 people.

So, now it's off!! I'm still going to try to take it apart after soaking those bolts for a few days. The humidity of the mid-atlantic region is what's making me the most nervous. But I guess it would be the same as leaving it on. We'll see what I can do.

Next step: new mirrors so I can take the doors off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom