AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Option for a passenger side wing for trucks with no rear AC? I like the design, and actually built and all wood version just like this last summer. Unfortunately, my wife (small person) felt too close to the ceiling and I had to use it for firewood :(

I suspect that's going to be a common comparison. It seems like the big differentiators between those 2 are:

1) This setup is easy to remove, thereby maintaining flexbility. Once you install KISS drawers, you probably aren't taking them out.
2) The drawers provide for more organized storage, but aren't going to have as much storage space.
3) Look / style - just a matter of taste

What are some other points of differentiation?

Kyle hit on most the points I'd make, but I'll reiterate that weight is the #1 differentiation for me. Having 100# of materials in the back of my car constantly was a deal breaker for me. The KISS drawers and other drawer systems are all very heavy. To the point that you nearly need to consider upgrading springs if your suspension is worn out. That's beyond what I wanted to sacrifice for some storage improvement.

#1: Weight. When comparing the KISS drawers to the basic platform we're talking ~25-30 lbs vs 105. That's 75 pounds of extra wood.

#2: Size of storage. The KISS system is designed to sit AT the level of the rear seats. The SS1 rests ABOVE the seats. We've got 13" of clearance with optional risers to provide an extra 3" on top of that. That dramatically opens up what you can store safely underneath the system.

#3: Assembly time. I recall initial assembly time on the KISS drawers being 3-4 hours. After that, apparently, you can remove them in around 10 mins. The SS1 system is completely removable in less than 5 minutes with one person. The initial assembly time for the SS1 is under 30 minutes - potentially as low as 10 minutes if you've got a good working space.

#4: Storage when not in use. The SS1 stores flat once you remove the legs. That's 9 screws to remove and then it's only a few inches thin. Easily stored up against a wall in your garage, basement or apartment and easily carried by one person.

5: Sleeping. With the optional sleeper add-on the SS1 provides a perfectly flat and stable, full length, full width sleeping surface. No other product offers that. You can shove some blankets or something in cracks to fill gaps with most the drawer systems, but that's not the same as an actual flat surface. Not to mention that requires some set-up time. With the sleeper option on the SS1 you simply unfold it.

The SS1 is made for a wide range of people whether you use and abuse the 'Cruiser every weekend in the mountains on jeep trails or feather the throttle to Costco and Home Depot once a month. I don't think you can say the same for *ANY* of the drawer products.

Option for a passenger side wing for trucks with no rear AC? I like the design, and actually built and all wood version just like this last summer. Unfortunately, my wife (small person) felt too close to the ceiling and I had to use it for firewood :(

We need to do a quick test on the no-rear AC cargo space, but I'm confident it will work just fine as is. It would leave a little extra clearance in some areas. We will make a special contour for that interior trim style as soon as we can coordinate with a non-AC customer.

Last edited:
hi there
looks great

any info on what the drawer system would look like?

thanks

The drawers are still in development, but they'll be simple. They will be completely retrofit-able to any system bought prior to our official release of that option. To be perfectly honest, we've both been so happy with the bin system that we haven't prioritized the drawers. We both realize it's something many people want, though, so it will definitely be available.

Great to see more options available @suprarx7nut

For people asking for this option or that tie down... it's made of wood... you can customize it yourself. Put D-rings every 3 inches or whatever floats your boat.

Thanks Rob. Exactly true. The system is very user customize-able, like another similar storage system floating around out there currently, but we are aiming to provide a professional looking package out of the gate. We will be shipping these with a tie down at each corner.

On the note of a professional, finished package we are assembling the first batch of production units and they're looking fantastic. We've added recesses for hardware so the hinges, washers, and many fasteners are all flush with the top surface. Pictures on their way within the week.

We'll be changing over to a regular "Buy Now" method of sales and plan to have these available on an ongoing basis with a lead time of 4 weeks or less.

When you get into customize-able heights, how low do you think it can go? I'd be interested in having it as low as possible, like 3 or 4 inches. (I removed my 2nd row seats)

Last edited:
Love the system you guys are building here. I already have a set of ARB drawers in the back of my truck—but I would be super interested to see some more pics and some dimensions on your sleeper extension. The potential to attach such a clean looking, finished sleep platform to the leading edge of my drawers has me pretty stoked.

When you get into customize-able heights, how low do you think it can go? I'd be interested in having it as low as possible, like 3 or 4 inches. (I removed my 2nd row seats)

Interesting question. The wing profile will change as you lower so at some point our custom fit wings would need to be altered. Aside from that though, you could go down to a few inches without much modification. We can buy smaller legs or chop some down ourselves to provide to you. I'd have to give it some more in-depth thought sitting in front of the cargo area, but I don't see why that couldn't be done.

Love the system you guys are building here. I already have a set of ARB drawers in the back of my truck—but I would be super interested to see some more pics and some dimensions on your sleeper extension. The potential to attach such a clean looking, finished sleep platform to the leading edge of my drawers has me pretty stoked.

Stand by for pics within the week. We've got the first customer build completed and will be getting some good pictures of that prior to getting it packaged up and shipped out!

Interesting question. The wing profile will change as you lower so at some point our custom fit wings would need to be altered. Aside from that though, you could go down to a few inches without much modification. We can buy smaller legs or chop some down ourselves to provide to you. I'd have to give it some more in-depth thought sitting in front of the cargo area, but I don't see why that couldn't be done.

Stand by for pics within the week. We've got the first customer build completed and will be getting some good pictures of that prior to getting it packaged up and shipped out!

It would be really great if the "kit" came with multiple sets of legs that offer different height options based on different use cases. Maybe 3 sets: 5", 14", 24" (or something like that). Or maybe the multiple sets of legs could be an added option.

Last edited:
Updated pics of the first customer order! A few final upgrades from our prototype builds include:
  • Recessed hardware throughout the top surface
  • Rugged bedliner
  • Tie downs (Rattle-Free)
  • Aluminum front lip trim for long term durability
STANDARD SALES open now on the website below. Standard kits as seen below and the sleeper upgrade are available. If you have any special requests, please reach out to Kyle or I on here or at info@airdowngearup.com.

SS1-01 Base System

small DSC_0123.jpg

small DSC_0125.jpg

small DSC_0127.jpg

smallDSC_0129.jpg

smallDSC_0133.jpg

After a great experience at HIH again this year, our enthusiasm for high quality drawers has been reinvigorated. Watch out for an update shortly with 100% extension, 250 lb drawers. Parts are all on hand and prototype is nearly done.

We're also going to be offering an unlined version at a lower price point for those of you that want to carpet it yourselves or want a natural wood look. I've been rocking the natural look for a week now and actually like it quite a bit. The flush stainless hardware looks really nice against the wood grain.

Stay tuned!

Drawers!

We have completed the prototype and after a few days of testing we are feeling good about these drawers. A few key take aways:
  • Full extension: Perhaps one of the most important features of this system, the drawers can be fully opened. This is a critical feature, allowing complete and easy utilization of the drawer. Without full extension any inaccessible drawer space is effectively useless. This is not available on most other options in this price point
  • Easy sliding: The slide mechanism for this drawer system is impressive. Under full load, these drawers can be opened/closed with 'one finger' operation
  • Hold shut and Hold open feature. We have incorporated a feature that secures the drawer fully shut, half open and fully open. Allowing you to access you gear in off-camber situations with no concern.
  • 250 lb capacity: Drawers will be rated at the slide limit of 250 pounds. Great for storing heavy gear safely under the platform.
This will be available for sale very soon! As with the platform system, these will all be CNC machined for excellent precision and easy assembly. Options will be lined, unlined and sold as an individual drawer; allowing flexibility for your preferred setup/budget. These are bolt-in compatible for all platform systems.

20170809_072601.jpg

20170809_110542.jpg

20170809_072652.jpg

I really like what you guys are building! Will there be any drawer height flexibility?

Thanks! Right now the plan is to stick with the 13" platform height, which is what's driving the drawer height.

Were you thinking shorter or taller drawers?

If I do any kind of platform, I'd want it to be really short. I remove the 2nd row seats when camping and I really like the feeling of not sleeping at window level - which I would be at 13" plus my sleeping mattress. However, I realize my situation is unique.

One option that would be interesting to pursue is a shorter, drawer only system. This would be offered as a full drawer system but at a lower height, something like 6". This would be a separate offering from the modular platform/sleeper/drawer system currently for sale.

Making the shorter drawers sleep-worthy with a removed second row might be a challenge and would require a special order/design or some DIY on the customer end. The sleeper system becomes a little more tricky once you deviate from 13", as you have to implement fold out legs or some other support mechanism. I ran a concept for all of last summer that utilized a sliding support rail for a 19" system, so it would be possible to incorporate at the low height as well, but costs/complexity add up quickly.

Drawers!

We have completed the prototype and after a few days of testing we are feeling good about these drawers.

View attachment 1513374

Couple questions on this, is the bolt through the 80/20 the final design? Did you guys look into the internal fastener options they have? And are the rails standard drawer rails so you retain full extension?
This will be available for sale very soon! As with the platform system, these will all be CNC machined for excellent precision and easy assembly. Options will be lined, unlined and sold as an individual drawer; allowing flexibility for your preferred setup/budget. These are bolt-in compatible for all platform systems.

Curiosity question, are you guys having all the CNC work done locally in Boulder? Or did you guys look elsewhere and get bids on it to reduce cost even further? :) Just curious.

Couple questions on this, is the bolt through the 80/20 the final design? Did you guys look into the internal fastener options they have? And are the rails standard drawer rails so you retain full extension?

The bolt through the 80/20 is the final design. Both Andy and myself use a fair amount of 80/20 in industrial applications at the day-job, and have found that the internal fasteners can move over time and would be difficult to place with the accuracy we intend to maintain with this system. With the uprights being supported under the platform with a metal backing plate/washer, we are able to create a very secure connection. Picture shows the underside of the platform, with the mounting plates/washers.

For the slides, we pretty exhaustively searched to find the exact right application. These slides are 100% full extension, which we set out as a design requirement from the beginning. This was always considered a critical feature to allow the best user experience with the drawers. We also wanted to stick to a conventional ball-bearing arrangement, as this drawer is BUTTER smooth even while fully loaded. This was another critical requirement for us. We have incorporated a closed, half-open and full open hold feature, to allow the use of the drawer in off-camber situations.

One feature we will incorporate into the production drawers is a partially nested slide. We will be able to recess the slide partially into the drawer, allowing for a larger drawer.

Curiosity question, are you guys having all the CNC work done locally in Boulder? Or did you guys look elsewhere and get bids on it to reduce cost even further? :) Just curious.

The CNC work is being done at a large national shop after an extensive effort to get an local vendor on board. We simply could not find a shop that offered a reasonable cost. We expect the pricing to be as low as we could ever expect to get it at this point.

20170705_170117.jpg

The bolt through the 80/20 is the final design. Both Andy and myself use a fair amount of 80/20 in industrial applications at the day-job, and have found that the internal fasteners can move over time and would be difficult to place with the accuracy we intend to maintain with this system. With the uprights being supported under the platform with a metal backing plate/washer, we are able to create a very secure connection. Picture shows the underside of the platform, with the mounting plates/washers.

For the slides, we pretty exhaustively searched to find the exact right application. These slides are 100% full extension, which we set out as a design requirement from the beginning. This was always considered a critical feature to allow the best user experience with the drawers. We also wanted to stick to a conventional ball-bearing arrangement, as this drawer is BUTTER smooth even while fully loaded. This was another critical requirement for us. We have incorporated a closed, half-open and full open hold feature, to allow the use of the drawer in off-camber situations.

One feature we will incorporate into the production drawers is a partially nested slide. We will be able to recess the slide partially into the drawer, allowing for a larger drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom